ADVERTISEMENT

Anti-Larry Scirotto petition by Indiana fans

KelloggFireman

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2021
Indiana fans remain unhinged about their loss on Wednesday night. They're now certain that Larry Scirotto is rotten, evil, and corrupt and want him fired. Over 700 have already signed.

https://www.change.org/p/fire-ncaa-referee-larry-scirotto?source_location=petitions_browse

The petition's author uses, as evidence, the fact that Scirotto "was removed from his role as Chief of Police of the City of Fort Lauderdale in March of 2022. Mr. Scirotto was fired after an investigation for racial discrimination and discriminatory hiring practices...his track record proves he doesn’t uphold the values of equity and consistent decision making regarding race. This is in direct conflict with the values the NCAA upholds and promotes...If the NCAA values equity, it should terminate Larry Scirotto."

This implies that Scirotto is some racist white cop, playing out his biases and vendettas as a supposedly-objective arbiter of basketball games. Of course you can't have a racist (even if only alleged) white cop officiating basketball games!

A cursory news search, however, disputes this. Scirotto himself is mixed-race (white mother and Black father), was apparently hired by Fort Lauderdale to help with its diversity efforts, and was fired after complaints by four officers who believed they had been passed over for promotions in favor of minority candidates. I don't know anything about the merits of their case or how Ft. Lauderdale's promotion process works, but of the 15 members Scirotto promoted in his eight months as chief, nine were white. The NAACP stands by Scirotto.

The original petitioner doesn't mention an alleged Northwestern affiliation. But some of the petition's signers echoed the "Northwestern alum bias" point, which they no doubt discovered via the Indiana message boards. "He should have automatically excuse [sic.] himself from any game where he might have a conflict of interest." "How is he officiating games of his alma mater?" And of course, the obligatory, "**** this guy."

As a graduate of a 10-week certificate program at the Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command, Larry Scirotto is about as much of a Northwestern alum as I am a University of Illinois alum. I've earned about 20 certificates (none granting actual degree credit) from University of Illinois' Fire Service Institute; I took most of those classes in Chicago, a handful in the suburbs, and only one in Champaign. Similarly, Northwestern "hosts" these courses all over the country. There are 15 upcoming courses listed...in Arizona, in Texas, in Maryland, in Pennsylvania (which, I assume, is where Scirotto took his courses, since he was a Pittsburgh cop). One in Lake Zurich, one in Carol Stream, and one in Moline. None in Evanston at all.

As fans, we tend to be biased towards our own viewpoint, at least on close calls that could go either way. I don't think Boo's final shot was even a close call...he lowered his shoulder but didn't extend his arm, and Tre Galloway was already losing his footing before contact was made. Of course, an Indiana fan would see it the other way.

When the evidence is clear, we usually admit that we're wrong. Only the most rabid IU fan would say "TJD didn't goaltend!", and that bad non-call led to a transition three, so a five-point swing. Similarly, I think Boo got away with one on the non-called travel that led to the double-technical, which led to a four-point swing in itself (although I thought Boo was fouled on that drive, which caused him to travel...and that the officials either didn't see either, or chose to ignore both). So these two non-calls that our respective teams "got away with" netted Indiana 1 point overall, in a game that Northwestern won by 2.

Regardless, trying to get Scirotto fired is pretty petty, especially since it seems as if, unlike most college officials, his livelihood comes from officiating since his Ft. Lauderdale firing. Not "Death-threats-against-Chris-Coyte-after-Benny-Snell's-ejection" petty, but petty nonetheless.

So they're trying to paint him as something beyond just a bad referee (which he might very well be), but an actual bad person? And using that as a reason to fire him?

Let's accept Boo travelled. Which frankly it looked plausible to me in real time and in the review. But not conclusive, would have to see more reviews. But, beyond the point, let's say it was 100% a travel.

1) Alright, the refs missed it. Where in the rules does it say that gives anyone on the bench the right to protest so vigorously a ref, with his back to the bench, tees them up? That was not a "that's a travel" situation. You don't get t'eed for that. So there's #1, blame the ref for a blown call. But also blame your staff for the technical, wrong call or not. The technical is not the ref's fault

2) Similarly, how does that give the right for the coach to touch a ref? See #1 for the same outcome. Blame ref for call, blame coach for tech. I personally think you touch a ref and you should go to the locker room. I understand that touch was 100% not malicious and intended to get his attention. But we get into judging intent, which is dubious. That was clear, plenty won't be. Draw a red line on that please.

3) There was a play late in the game, lots on the line, where Golloway trips on Martinelli's foot. Bad call for a foul. Had our bench gotten two technicals as a result I'd be here furious at our bench. Way more than at a the ref

4) I have said I thought it was understandable when CC got a tech against Gonzaga (even if probably not acceptable). It was at the end, it was egregious. But this was over a travel call, in the first half. Not in the last play of the game. In the first half!

Bottom line, that all sequence points to one thing: be mad at your staff for handling it the way they did. Be very mad as they hurt you. They did not lose the game in that sequence, but if it makes you feel better, blame them.

Or just go eat a ginormous tenderloin sandwich. That cures all

Last edited:
Great post Gato. Don't forget many IU fans think Boo travelled on the game-winner too! In addition to the "foul."

There are bad calls in Every. Single. Game. I won't say something as useless as "it all evens out," but if your bench gets T'd up for protesting a random bad call in the first half when the score is 17-12, there is something very very wrong with that protest.

I have a couple of certificates from the University of Wisconsin Madison. From work done in Madison.

I just realized that right now. Go Badgers.

Reactions: drewjin
7bjreq.jpg

On occasion, a technical foul can be a good tactic by a coach to grab the attention of an official or fire up a flat team. Usually, though, it's a dumb move by a coach. Coach Collins had an obvious right to be pissed off in the NCAA tourney game against Gonzaga a few years back when the goaltending wasn't called, but picking up the technical on top of it really took momentum away from NU's comeback. The guy's human, and I understand the reaction, but it didn't help

For Woodson, a first-half technical on a travel call didn't make much sense, and to get a second "T" on top of the first one was even worse. You might as well give your opponents free points. If I'm shooting a free throw, I can score against NBA players. There's nothing they can do to stop me (which is why bad free-throw shooting really irritates me).

Reactions: hdhntr1
On occasion, a technical foul can be a good tactic by a coach to grab the attention of an official or fire up a flat team. Usually, though, it's a dumb move by a coach. Coach Collins had an obvious right to be pissed off in the NCAA tourney game against Gonzaga a few years back when the goaltending wasn't called, but picking up the technical on top of it really took momentum away from NU's comeback. The guy's human, and I understand the reaction, but it didn't help

For Woodson, a first-half technical on a travel call didn't make much sense, and to get a second "T" on top of the first one was even worse. You might as well give your opponents free points. If I'm shooting a free throw, I can score against NBA players. There's nothing they can do to stop me (which is why bad free-throw shooting really irritates me).
The 1st tech was not on Woodson. If it were he’d have been ejected

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
Not handling getting swept by Northwestern very well. This was supposed to be their year. Killer Mopp goes tanning year round.

I mean seriously lets go back and review missed calls from every game all time. There are doozies every week. What a pointless excercise. Hit a fvcking 3 at some point and win the game.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
The 1st tech was not on Woodson. If it were he’d have been ejected
It was on the bench. Thought I heard that it was on Woodson but it was not. But then he put his hand on the ref's arm and that was automatic. I think you are correct that if the first had been on Woodson, he would have been gone

It was on the bench. Thought I heard that it was on Woodson but it was not. But then he put his hand on the ref's arm and that was automatic. I think you are correct that if the first had been on Woodson, he would have been gone
Yes - this is exactly what happened. Woodson actually very casually touches the ref like you would if you were trying to get someone’s attention. But that does not matter bc you can’t touch the ref. Bc the insanity from IU I went back and watched this a few times.

I wonder what the refs are doing wrong in Bloomington today. Are they biased against the Hoosiers even when the Hoosiers are at home? Hoosiers are down seven, clearly it's five-on-eight!

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat
Believing refs are out to get IN is one more on brand thing for that fan base. No one is out to get a program that has not been relevant this century.

Reactions: NUCat320
Now Indiana is up two, probably because the refs are calling it right all of a sudden.

Believing refs are out to get IN is one more on brand thing for that fan base. No one is out to get a program that has not been relevant this century.
I love the paranoid stuff. Some of them think the refs and Big Ten WANT Northwestern to win. Who would want that?

Pretty Herculean win in Bloomington against IL. Only the chosen ones can win against 8.

Oh and Kopp was lucky he did not poop the bed on the last play. He solely gave away a last second open 3.

The Hoosiers did get whistled for a ticky-tack foul towards the end of the game. If they had lost, the fans would have absolutely melted down.

(To the tune of "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers)

Video for reference

My name is Larry, well, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who calls it for NU
When there's travel, yeah, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who ignores a walking Boo
If there's pushing, well, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who sees no pushing by NU
And if I whistle, well, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who calls Ts on IU

But I would call 500 fouls
And I would call 500 more
Just to be the man who sends the Cats
Straight into the Tourney Final Four

When I'm sleeping, yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's dreaming of NU
And when the money comes in for the work I do
I'll take a nice trip to Quintana Roo
When I come home (when I come home), oh, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who Indiana wants to sue
And when I'm $hitting, oh I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's $hitting on IU

Straight into the tourney Final Four

Da d-da da, da d-da da, da d-da da, da d-da da
Da-da-da dun-diddle un-diddle un-diddle a da da
When I'm lonely, well, I know I'm gonna be

Straight into the tourney Final Four

(To the tune of "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers)

Video for reference

My name is Larry, well, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who calls it for NU
When there's travel, yeah, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who ignores a walking Boo
If there's pushing, well, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who sees no pushing by NU
And if I whistle, well, I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who calls Ts on IU