ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on Hunter Johnson?

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Is he visiting?

Seems like we are perfectly lined up. But, the longer this takes, the more pessimistic I get. He knows the coaches and the school already really well. It appears that whatever we have, it's not enough to make this a no-brainer.

The more we wait, I feel, the more like we need Coach Collins to make an assist on the football side and pull this out of hopelessness and despair.

Is he visiting?

Seems like we are perfectly lined up. But, the longer this takes, the more pessimistic I get. He knows the coaches and the school already really well. It appears that whatever we have, it's not enough to make this a no-brainer.

The more we wait, I feel, the more like we need Coach Collins to make an assist on the football side and pull this out of hopelessness and despair.

Hopelessness and despair? Our last three commits have all spurned high-quality offers in favor of NU. Seems like we will likely get a WR this weekend who spurned a late run from Notre Dame, who was a high school teammate of Johnson’s to boot.

Chill, MOAR guy.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Is he visiting?

TOS says that Duke is now in the mix as well.

Is he visiting?

There's no need to feel pessimistic at this point.

Is he visiting?

This is one weird post.

Hopelessness and despair? Our last three commits have all spurned high-quality offers in favor of NU. Seems like we will likely get a WR this weekend who spurned a late run from Notre Dame, who was a high school teammate of Johnson’s to boot.

Chill, MOAR guy.

He's visited Purdue already, and Duke. So, when is he visiting NU? Is LouV on the case?

You gotta keep in mind, ECat lives in China. So when you are standing up straight, he is hanging upside down.

If one digs a hole deep enough I recall being told it would reach China. Curious if ECat was testing that out and got off angle causing those lava fissures popping up in Hawaii?

He's visited Purdue already, and Duke. So, when is he visiting NU? Is LouV on the case?

Where did you see that? I’ve been trying to follow this one pretty closely and haven’t seen any confirmation of any visits, just speculation.

Where did you see that? I’ve been trying to follow this one pretty closely and haven’t seen any confirmation of any visits, just speculation.

The Purdue boards talk about how he visited, but no one knows how it went. And he's gone to Durham too.

And I'm asking for a link to where you read that because I'm curious to read it as well.

I would have provided a link for anyone else, but I'll only respond the way you do to similar requests.

Go to the Purdue Board and search for it yourself. It's not hard.

Last edited:
Go to the Purdue Board and search for it yourself. It's not hard.

I read the Hunter Johnson thread on there. All I saw was speculation that he was on campus, nothing confirmed. Also didn't see anything about a Duke visit.

I read the Hunter Johnson thread on there. All I saw was speculation that he was on campus, nothing confirmed. Also didn't see anything about a Duke visit.
He was at Purdue last week, meeting with Brohm. Lots of rumors swirling, but no real info coming out of Johnson's camp. Will be a great pick-up for the program he chooses.

He was at Purdue last week, meeting with Brohm. Lots of rumors swirling, but no real info coming out of Johnson's camp. Will be a great pick-up for the program he chooses.

Thanks for the color. Mostly wondering the source for reporting Johnson's Purdue visit, as I haven't seen it... anywhere.

Thanks for the color. Mostly wondering the source for reporting Johnson's Purdue visit, as I haven't seen it... anywhere.
I heard it from someone within the athletic department at Purdue. This has been a very quiet recruitment to date. I'd be very surprised if Johnson ends up somewhere other than Purdue or NU.

Is a timeline being floated in those rumors?
I've heard mid-to-late June, but I wouldn't put much stock in that. I don't think he will be visiting too many places besides Purdue and NU. Seems like he is going in with a short list, and won't really "open things up" to many other schools.

Reactions: lunker35
I heard it from someone within the athletic department at Purdue. This has been a very quiet recruitment to date. I'd be very surprised if Johnson ends up somewhere other than Purdue or NU.

Thanks. I get the feeling that Kirtz is leaning to NU and seems like he's announcing this weekend. Probably not "the" decision point, but couldn't hurt.

I've heard mid-to-late June, but I wouldn't put much stock in that. I don't think he will be visiting too many places besides Purdue and NU. Seems like he is going in with a short list, and won't really "open things up" to many other schools.

Hopefully sooner than later so both programs can formulate their QB recruiting plans for 2019 and beyond.

NU's summer quarter starts on June 25, for what it's worth. I'm thinking we should hear one way or another by that point. Would guess he'd like to enroll over the summer, but also not a huge deal given that he will have to redshirt for the 2018 season no matter what.

Seems like Purdue is on a somewhat wonky "module-based" schedule from what I can tell, not sure how that works exactly.

If one digs a hole deep enough I recall being told it would reach China. Curious if ECat was testing that out and got off angle causing those lava fissures popping up in Hawaii?
Yes, you could probably make a case for a couple of his more inflammatory posts causing that.

Thanks. I get the feeling that Kirtz is leaning to NU and seems like he's announcing this weekend. Probably not "the" decision point, but couldn't hurt.

Certainly couldn’t hurt. Should he commit, that would be some very fine timing with Hunter’s process.

I believe NU is in strong shape here, and Kirtz commitment has virtually no impact on his decision.

Based on anything in particular? Seeing that he's now been on campus at both Purdue and Duke. Have to think he will get to NU before making his decision and campus visits at NU are suddenly a LOT more appealing than they were his first go-around in recruiting (and when his brother was here).

Trying not to get my hopes up too far here, but NU still just makes too much sense in my mind.

Based on anything in particular? Seeing that he's now been on campus at both Purdue and Duke. Have to think he will get to NU before making his decision and campus visits at NU are suddenly a LOT more appealing than they were his first go-around in recruiting (and when his brother was here).

Trying not to get my hopes up too far here, but NU still just makes too much sense in my mind.
Fitz will need to pull out all of his salesman skills here. I have zero information on his recruitment but it seems to me that NU or Purdue are his top choices. Don’t think it would be great to stay in the same conference as Clemson. With so little information coming out, if still feels like a toss up.

It’s dueling salesman with Fitz and Broem. We need Fitz at his best here. Hunter is a stud and would an enormous commit for NU.

Fitz will need to pull out all of his salesman skills here. I have zero information on his recruitment but it seems to me that NU or Purdue are his top choices. Don’t think it would be great to stay in the same conference as Clemson. With so little information coming out, if still feels like a toss up.

It’s dueling salesman with Fitz and Broem. We need Fitz at his best here. Hunter is a stud and would an enormous commit for NU.

If you try to put yourself in Johnson’s shoes and evaluate the decision logically, it’s pretty obvious to me that NU checks more boxes than any of the other programs. His decision to transfer from Clemson was a mature/logical decision and I believe he will follow a similar process in choosing his destination. I highly doubt we will hear anything about the process or visits to NU until a decision is already made. It will happen soon and I’d be very surprised if he is not enrolled at NU within the next couple of weeks.

I don’t think it’s a very strong argument, but you could make the case that he’s already had a year scouting ACC defenses and that would be a benefit of staying in that conference. That would be very far down the list of reasons to go somewhere, particular since he will have to sit a year anyway.

If you try to put yourself in Johnson’s shoes and evaluate the decision logically, it’s pretty obvious to me that NU checks more boxes than any of the other programs. His decision to transfer from Clemson was a mature/logical decision and I believe he will follow a similar process in choosing his destination. I highly doubt we will hear anything about the process or visits to NU until a decision is already made. It will happen soon and I’d be very surprised if he is not enrolled at NU within the next couple of weeks.

I like your confidence. We’ll see.

Yes, based on some info I got from a very reliable source. Not a done deal at all, and it's probably safe to say if it's not NU or Purdue, it will be a shocker. Both schools check a lot of boxes for him. Only NU offers a pretty much guaranteed playing time right away, but there is a big draw to Brohm and his offensive system, which wasn't on display much last year due to talent deficiencies from the previous staff. Purdue is getting some major upgrades in offensive talent over the next couple of years...bar was set quite low by Hazell. NU seems to be in good position though, and I would expect a decision after he visits you guys. Then, he and his family will sit down and decide. If it's not Purdue, I sure hope it's you guys.

Yes, based on some info I got from a very reliable source. Not a done deal at all, and it's probably safe to say if it's not NU or Purdue, it will be a shocker. Both schools check a lot of boxes for him. Only NU offers a pretty much guaranteed playing time right away, but there is a big draw to Brohm and his offensive system, which wasn't on display much last year due to talent deficiencies from the previous staff. Purdue is getting some major upgrades in offensive talent over the next couple of years...bar was set quite low by Hazell. NU seems to be in good position though, and I would expect a decision after he visits you guys. Then, he and his family will sit down and decide. If it's not Purdue, I sure hope it's you guys.

Thanks for sharing your insights. Nice to get an unbiased take...very appreciative of your posts.

Thanks... any indication as to when his NU visit might take place?

Probably needs to be sooner than later if he intends to enroll for the summer, which begins June 25 for NU.

Thanks... any indication as to when his NU visit might take place?

Probably needs to be sooner than later if he intends to enroll for the summer, which begins June 25 for NU.
In this case, why is enrollment in the summer a big deal? Is it the practice time? Based on sitting out a year, he should graduate before his eligibility runs out.

In this case, why is enrollment in the summer a big deal? Is it the practice time? Based on sitting out a year, he should graduate before his eligibility runs out.

Hence the "if."

It's not a huge deal if he's not on campus given that he will have to sit out 2018 anyway, but my assumption is that he would want to get on campus ASAP no matter his ultimate school.

Familiarity/exposure to the offense and teammates. Gets a jump on things before summer camp. Also from an academic point of view gives him a chance to ease into NU classes before taking a full load in the fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT