ADVERTISEMENT

Are PSU's 324 offers really offers? Fitz says no

So does this mean, for example, when PSU extends an "offer", the recruit does not have the right to accept on the spot but must wait until a later date? Or does this mean they can accept but the offer fundamentally is tenuous and can and will be withdrawn at a moment's notice even after acceptance should PSU believe it is to their benefit.

So does this mean, for example, when PSU extends an "offer", the recruit does not have the right to accept on the spot but must wait until a later date? Or does this mean they can accept but the offer fundamentally is tenuous and can and will be withdrawn at a moment's notice even after acceptance should PSU believe it is to their benefit.

Correct.

Reactions: mikero3
Yes, none of these schools can take on 35+ recruits, so clearly many of these offers don't have real weight.

A lot of these "offers" have "if these guys ahead of you don't come" clauses implied.

Anybody who is tossing out 150+ offers is playing this game.

There's a case to be made for some of those schools offering every 4-5 star they can contact, but there's also a lot of "backup" plan guys in there too.

And yes you can see some ugly situations late in the cycle when it doesn't work out and there isn't a spot in the class for a guy that is "offered"...

Both

I find it amusing that Kansas is second on the list with 346 offers.

Rivals should just track two lists - offers and committable offers. The information is available as I’m sure recruits know which one they are. Per Jango’s dad he said it was pretty clear.

For Penn state, that chart is just an expression of how much mail they send out.

It depends on the talent of the kid. If a stud 5 star, they’ll accept it. If not, they’ll wait and see if a better player “commits” first before accepting your commitment.

I’ll do some defending here, or at least giving another perspective.

For PSU and Michigan, they’re enough of a “Blue Blood” with a shot at winning championships and giving star players exposure, that it’s conceivable that they could bring in a 5 Star top 5 in the position prospect, if they can make a connection and impression.

For those players though who have dozens of scholarships from the likes Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, and their local University- they don’t even give a PSU an outside shot if there is no offer.
So PSU offers all those players though they know only a handful will give serious consideration.

Is a noncommitable offer fair to an athlete? I think it tells an athlete that a school is interested enough to offer as a secondary or tertiary option. I would call that being honest. If the player sees it as an insult, they can choose a school that would take their commitment now. On the other hand, for a player who always wanted to go to PSU, it tells him there is some interest, and if he upped his game or physical abilities- whatever is holding him back, he may get his dream.

Better that than finding out if he only added 10 pounds and dropped his forty by .2 of a second, he would have received a scholarship.

For PSU and Michigan, they’re enough of a “Blue Blood” with a shot at winning championships and giving star players exposure, that it’s conceivable that they could bring in a 5 Star top 5 in the position prospect, if they can make a connection and impression.

For those players though who have dozens of scholarships from the likes Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, and their local University- they don’t even give a PSU an outside shot if there is no offer.
So PSU offers all those players though they know only a handful will give serious consideration.

Is a noncommitable offer fair to an athlete? I think it tells an athlete that a school is interested enough to offer as a secondary or tertiary option. I would call that being honest. If the player sees it as an insult, they can choose a school that would take their commitment now. On the other hand, for a player who always wanted to go to PSU, it tells him there is some interest, and if he upped his game or physical abilities- whatever is holding him back, he may get his dream.

Better that than finding out if he only added 10 pounds and dropped his forty by .2 of a second, he would have received a scholarship.

Is a marriage proposal a proposal? If it's not an offer; call it something else. There's no defending this. None.

I think it’s confusing because it’s not just a different strategy in recruiting. It’s a totally different business. Sites and coaches should own up to existence and just separate it out. How many commit-able offers does Penn State give out? Probably much more inline with NU.

Then call it something different. "Indication of interest" versus an "offer." There's no way to call what you're describing a "scholarship offer," plain and simple.

Reactions: gingerkid
Could the logic for sending out mass non-commitable offers be based on placating fans and exciting recruiting services? For example, PSU wants to be perceived as a player for national championships so blanketing 5 and 4 stars with these offers gets a lot of excitement going plus, who knows, maybe an offer will click. Not that dissimilar - except for scale - to NU giving an offer to a 4 star with a 4.0 grade point, even though they realize for any of a number of reasons that NU doesn't have a shot. PSU blankets any 4 and 5 stars that can read . NU perhaps, don't know, blankets 4 stars with high grade points. Obviously the latter results in much fewer offers.

Then call it something different. "Indication of interest" versus an "offer." There's no way to call what you're describing a "scholarship offer," plain and simple.

Agreed. Based on those numbers, it would be in the best interests of the institutions who 'play that game' to clarify their offer terms before the NCAA intervenes and makes the decision for them.

All schools give out dozens of offers both only a few are "committable." That's why it's comical when you see a kid commit to a school when the kid had an "offer" from Alabama, Clemson. or OSU, etc..... Right away some fans of the school will start chirping that they beat out Alabama for the kid when realistically that kid could have been way down on Alabama's wish list and was only offered as a backup plan in case the several kids in front of him - on Alabama's recruiting list - decided to go somewhere else. All schools play this game to some extent.

All schools give out dozens of offers both only a few are "committable." That's why it's comical when you see a kid commit to a school when the kid had an "offer" from Alabama, Clemson. or OSU, etc..... Right away some fans of the school will start chirping that they beat out Alabama for the kid when realistically that kid could have been way down on Alabama's wish list and was only offered as a backup plan in case the several kids in front of him - on Alabama's recruiting list - decided to go somewhere else. All schools play this game to some extent.

Not all.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Could the logic for sending out mass non-commitable offers be based on placating fans and exciting recruiting services? For example, PSU wants to be perceived as a player for national championships so blanketing 5 and 4 stars with these offers gets a lot of excitement going plus, who knows, maybe an offer will click. Not that dissimilar - except for scale - to NU giving an offer to a 4 star with a 4.0 grade point, even though they realize for any of a number of reasons that NU doesn't have a shot. PSU blankets any 4 and 5 stars that can read . NU perhaps, don't know, blankets 4 stars with high grade points. Obviously the latter results in much fewer offers.
I don’t believe this is accurate. Doesn’t NU complete some type of background check ( not just grades) before offering? They are plenty of 4 stars that qualify and aren’t offered. Making an offer when there is no interest from the prospect doesn’t make much sense.

I don’t believe this is accurate. Doesn’t NU complete some type of background check ( not just grades) before offering? They are plenty of 4 stars that qualify and aren’t offered. Making an offer when there is no interest from the prospect doesn’t make much sense.

Probably. Not sure how many 4 stars with academic chops there are. It's sometimes difficult to believe when you see an offer to a player with 20 major offers, or whatever, that NU has any inside game beyond just taking a pot shot. My point isn't to criticize it is just to say that NU likely takes pot shots just like PSU. Just a whole lot less since they operate in different pool sizes.

Reactions: drewjin
Probably. Not sure how many 4 stars with academic chops there are. It's sometimes difficult to believe when you see an offer to a player with 20 major offers, or whatever, that NU has any inside game beyond just taking a pot shot. My point isn't to criticize it is just to say that NU likely takes pot shots just like PSU. Just a whole lot less since they operate in different pool sizes.

No. No pot shots for NU.

Just because we aren’t likely to win the recruit doesn’t mean our offer isn’t “commitable”. In those cases we would be very happy if we got the 4 star academically inclined player and culture fit who was desired by 20+ other schools. You are comparing apples to mushrooms here I think.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat

You need to read Lou’s article on Strickland. Perfect illustration of our recruitment strategy.

Just because we aren’t likely to win the recruit doesn’t mean our offer isn’t “commitable”. In those cases we would be very happy if we got the 4 star academically inclined player and culture fit who was desired by 20+ other schools. You are comparing apples to mushrooms here I think.

Basically saying our pot shots (however informed) are commitable whereas, say PSU's pot shots, aren't. Fair enough.

Reactions: ricko654321
If a tree falls in the forest.... Fitz can hear :)

As usual Fitz is behind the curve. 1-11

PSU increased their number of offers by over 100 after the portal was started. It is obviously a strategy. There were over 3000+ d1 football players in the portal this year. Some of the portal players transfer within a week. They don't have months to take visits. Many will transfer to a school where they had a previous relationship/OFFER.

Fitz is losing the same recruits twice.

Appears other schools are cutting back their focus on high school recruiting while simultaneously increasing the number of “offers” to high school recruits while focusing on transfer portal to fill not only holes in roster but also depth. Seems to be antitheses of NU’s approach.

ADVERTISEMENT