ADVERTISEMENT

Article on NIL and its impact on athletic departments and players

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA

I thought this was an interesting article about the NIL issue facing college athletics administrators and how some colleges have embraced and enhanced the concept for players and the organization. Some takeaways I had was the impact NIL is having on the athletic departments organization structure, there are staff fully focused on NIL and how it can benefit players and the program. The other impact is how boosters/donors now play a more direct role in raising money and are funneling it into the new “fan groups” designed to maximize NIL for the players and the institution. What was considered “dark money” from boosters is now a more organized and official arm of the college athletics departments. There is also the intertwining of AD staff, fans/donors, attorneys and athletes in reaching NIL agreements. It’s a brave new world for college athletics and a bit of a Pandora’s box as regulation seems to be lagging behind the warp-speed implementation of NIL on college campuses. The NCAA seems to be a toothless tiger now after decades of overreach to control compensation for student-athletes as the article suggests. Along with the portal, the impact of NIL is changing the structure of recruiting and retention of players as well as the organization of athletic departments.

"If you can promise me at least $1M my freshman year, I will commit today."

If a five-star QB prospect said that to Fitz, what do you think he would say back?

On one hand, that straight-up makes me feel gross just thinking about an 18-year-old saying that to a middle-aged football coach, but on the other hand I imagine a line of Georgia boosters almost literally falling over each other wanting to be the one who signs that check (or sends the Venmo). So I think we can see a correlation between schools that went all in right away (I remember LSU changed their logo to "NILSU" on the first day) and those that are resisting this weirdness. But for every Georgia and LSU, there's a Texas A&M that got almost no ROI on this past season's "investments."

If a five-star QB prospect said that to Fitz, what do you think he would say back?

On one hand, that straight-up makes me feel gross just thinking about an 18-year-old saying that to a middle-aged football coach, but on the other hand I imagine a line of Georgia boosters almost literally falling over each other wanting to be the one who signs that check (or sends the Venmo). So I think we can see a correlation between schools that went all in right away (I remember LSU changed their logo to "NILSU" on the first day) and those that are resisting this weirdness. But for every Georgia and LSU, there's a Texas A&M that got almost no ROI on this past season's "investments."
Highest-rated recruit in Iowa history just flipped to Alabama. Welcome to the new normal. How much money do you think changed hands?

aTm boosters will simply raise more money and blame Jimbo if they don't win. This arms race ain't going anywhere. Meanwhile, NU is planning to raise 800M for a white elephant instead of putting lipstick on our beloved pig and spending the money on talent and coaching

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT