ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Wrigley Game

I swear Teddy G. comes on this site for story ideas. 2017 is the year they are looking to target. Since it will be a November game that year we are scheduled to host Purdue and Minnesota during that month

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-northwestern-wrigley-field-20160519-story.html

NU looking to return to Wrigley hasn't exactly been a secret. My biggest question is why we are focused on November games -- I understand that a Wrigley game might provide an attendance/ratings boost above what we would expect for a Purdue or Minnesota game at Ryan Field, but it was FREEZING last time and a tilt with Penn State, Iowa, or Michigan State at Wrigley would likely get us a repeat of the whole GameDay experience.

Plus we are already scheduled to play Illinois at Soldier Field in November 2017.

NU looking to return to Wrigley hasn't exactly been a secret. My biggest question is why we are focused on November games -- I understand that a Wrigley game might provide an attendance/ratings boost above what we would expect for a Purdue or Minnesota game at Ryan Field, but it was FREEZING last time and a tilt with Penn State, Iowa, or Michigan State at Wrigley would likely get us a repeat of the whole GameDay experience.

Plus we are already scheduled to play Illinois at Soldier Field in November 2017.

Cubs wil be in the World Series in October......

They cannot risk the chance the Cubs could be playing in the post season in October and bump the game. It would be a logistic nightmare to have to move the game in the event that were to happen,...plus they need a few weeks to get the place ready to host football. Last time we played their they put sod in the infield.

Last edited:

Because it needs to be after the BB as it needs to be reconfigured and it would look like Wrigley might be in use through much of Oct.

We don't need Wrigley to improve attendance for MSU or IA. But MN or Purdue we do

We don't need Wrigley to improve attendance for MSU or IA. But MN or Purdue we do

Great point. Purdue for instance has a lot of alumns in the area. they may not attend a November Purdue/NU game at RF unless the game has B1G implications but a novelty game at Wrigley may bring them

Definitely would be an attendance boost for either one of those games (Purdue or Minnesota). Also explains why we paid big money to host Nevada that season to assure us of having six games at Ryan Field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT