ADVERTISEMENT

Ayeni possible replacement for Brown?

...Ayeni seems to be heavily focused on Texas and the Southeast which are football rich areas where we already have had success but can always do better.

Makes him an ideal candidate. The most important skill to acquire in replacing JB is the ability to recruit for NU. Few can do it. Few want to try.

Reactions: NUCat320
99% of coaches won’t or don’t want to deal with the academic restrictions.
Doesn't it in a sense make their job easier? They can focus their efforts on a much smaller pool of players instead of having to work through all the players and figure out which players are realistic and focus their time and effort accordingly.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Doesn't it in a sense make their job easier? They can focus their efforts on a much smaller pool of players instead of having to work through all the players and figure out which players are realistic and focus their time and effort accordingly.

No.

In some ways, yes. You know the parameters both academically and athletically going in and work from there. It can be frustrating at times, but it cuts down time wasted on players that won’t qualify academically. Plenty of great players out there...just need to dig deeper and cast a wider net. Fortunately NU has more of a national presence than some.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
In some ways, yes. You know the parameters both academically and athletically going in and work from there. It can be frustrating at times, but it cuts down time wasted on players that won’t qualify academically. Plenty of great players out there...just need to dig deeper and cast a wider net. Fortunately NU has more of a national presence than some.
I don’t know. I suspect that the academic restrictions require an entirely different approach to recruiting, and that while some aspects of the more limited pool reduce burdens, the net effect is a more difficult process overall.

I don’t know. I suspect that the academic restrictions require an entirely different approach to recruiting, and that while some aspects of the more limited pool reduce burdens, the net effect is a more difficult process overall.

Sure, it’s more challenging and the approach is different, but to say 99% of coaches don’t want to deal with the restrictions is a gross exaggeration.

Reactions: GOUNUII
I just learned that Vanderlinden is currently the LB coach at the Air Force Academy. If Fitz wanted him, you'd think a move back into the Big Ten would be a better job and higher pay. He was LB coach at Penn State, previously.

How nice it is to have somebody on this Board who REALLY knows something about recruiting at NU. Too bad others don't know much about your prior career! (Good to see you in Nashville Coral)

CSC recruited for NU?

I will say that walking with Coral toward our seats on the visitor side of the field in Nashville, we kept bumping into former players and former coaches who all knew him and gave him big hugs. I didn’t even recognize most of them, but they all know him.

I will say that walking with Coral toward our seats on the visitor side of the field in Nashville, we kept bumping into former players and former coaches who all knew him and gave him big hugs. I didn’t even recognize most of them, but they all know him.
CSC doesn’t need to take a back seat to anyone regarding his knowledge of recruiting.

NU will actually be hiring 2 coaches with the NCAA adding a coaching position for all football staffs. 1 alum, and 1 young up and comer would be great

Here’s another name about which I was reminded by a friend: Jim O’Neil.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_O'Neil_(American_football)

I feel like I'm experiencing deja vu. Didn't someone reply to this post, but only above? That's freaky.

O'Neil would be a coup, but wouldn't the likelihood of that happening be even less than Vandy coming back? Can't imagine that a position coach at NU is the next stop for someone who was recently the DC for the 49ers. BTW, is he black?

I feel like I'm experiencing deja vu. Didn't someone reply to this post, but only above? That's freaky.

O'Neil would be a coup, but wouldn't the likelihood of that happening be even less than Vandy coming back? Can't imagine that a position coach at NU is the next stop for someone who was recently the DC for the 49ers. BTW, is he black?

Yeah... something went wacky yesterday, either with Rivals itself or posts being deleted and restored.

O’Neil was a GA under Fitz as LB coach and has DBs background. He was “recently” DC for the 49ers, but also out of football last year far as I can tell. Can see how it could/would make plenty of sense. He’s white.

Yeah... something went wacky yesterday, either with Rivals itself or posts being deleted and restored.

O’Neil was a GA under Fitz as LB coach and has DBs background. He was “recently” DC for the 49ers, but also out of football last year far as I can tell. Can see how it could/would make plenty of sense. He’s white.

Wtf?

Yeah that wasn’t the reason for my “wtf.” Read his last sentence.
You have to read the whole thread. The discussion was around how that it would be good to hire another African American coach to replace Jerry, from a cultural and recruiting standpoint.

When EvanstonCat and gocatsgo go back and forth...

giphy.gif

It's kind of like watching Al Bundy and Stephen Hawking discussing quantum mechanics.

And the problem with that is that the pool is a lot smaller and it is not like that if they are good enough that everyone would be going after them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT