ADVERTISEMENT

B10 Mediocre At Best--NU Needs a Change

catfans5

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2011
I made a previous comment that B10 is mediocre at best and does not have very good coaches. I was told my comments about the coaches was garbage. B10's performance in 2021 and 2022 in the NCAAs show how bad/mediocre the league is and accordingly, how mediocre or bad the coaches are. Painter had a week to get ready for St. Peters and could not do it. McCaffrey--yearly flame out. Wiscy--a system program which chokes. OSU, Michigan, Minny, PSU and Indy have newer coaches, so the assessment is out. But frankly, aside from Izzo, who seems washed up, please convince me that there is an outstanding coach. Howard is the only one I see. Remember, the B10 has not won a national championship since around 2000. Had a few finals, but nothing noteworthy like in 1980s when the B10 would get 2 teams in the Final Four. Iowa, Wiscy, Purdue and OSU had players that could be considered players of the year. If so, based on the flame-outs of each team, were these players overrated or did the coaches not know how to adjust or utilize them? Is it the coaches, the lack of talent, or a combination of both?

This brings me to NU. CC is not coaching against what I consider standard bearers of exemplary coaches, but gets out-coached. It is not like he is coaching against basketball wizards or incredibly talent laden teams. Further, the B10s annual NCAA performance clearly demonstrates that a new coach could do well because there is either a lack of talent or coaching or combination of both present in the B10. Now is the time to strike, but NU will do nothing.

I made a previous comment that B10 is mediocre at best and does not have very good coaches. I was told my comments about the coaches was garbage. B10's performance in 2021 and 2022 in the NCAAs show how bad/mediocre the league is and accordingly, how mediocre or bad the coaches are. Painter had a week to get ready for St. Peters and could not do it. McCaffrey--yearly flame out. Wiscy--a system program which chokes. OSU, Michigan, Minny, PSU and Indy have newer coaches, so the assessment is out. But frankly, aside from Izzo, who seems washed up, please convince me that there is an outstanding coach. Howard is the only one I see. Remember, the B10 has not won a national championship since around 2000. Had a few finals, but nothing noteworthy like in 1980s when the B10 would get 2 teams in the Final Four. Iowa, Wiscy, Purdue and OSU had players that could be considered players of the year. If so, based on the flame-outs of each team, were these players overrated or did the coaches not know how to adjust or utilize them? Is it the coaches, the lack of talent, or a combination of both?

This brings me to NU. CC is not coaching against what I consider standard bearers of exemplary coaches, but gets out-coached. It is not like he is coaching against basketball wizards or incredibly talent laden teams. Further, the B10s annual NCAA performance clearly demonstrates that a new coach could do well because there is either a lack of talent or coaching or combination of both present in the B10. Now is the time to strike, but NU will do nothing.
Wait a year. He will either improve (unlikely) or get fired and never coach P6 again

One fact you should acknowledge is that you are viewing things thru a specific lens. The NCAA selection committee clearly viewed the Big Ten and the Big 12 as the best conferences. I stated right away that I thought they had screwed up their evaluation. - the Big Ten did NOT deserve 9 teams out of 14. The NCAA relies almost entirely on computer ratings. The computers rely entirely on a handful of non-conference games in the preseason to evaluate one conference against another. After the preseason games, all the conference play does is sort out teams within the conference - it does NOT affect how the computers view conference strength. So there is a bias in the selection process before conference play even begins.

This allows / justifies nonsensical evaluations. Thats why Wake Forest, who deserved to be in the NCAA, ends up losing in the NIT Final 4 to a worthy Texas A&M team, while a mediocre team like Indiana, who should have been in the NIT, gets blown out of the NCAA.

In other words, don't blame the Big Ten, blame the NCAA for awarding them so many slots in the field.

As for the coaches, the Big Ten tends to play a certain style. The guards are normally bigger, more durable and not as quick as the guards they face in the NCAA tournament. The Big Ten doesn't really play a lot of pressure defense. When faced with it in the NCAA tournament, this can get exposed. Big Ten teams tend to have impressive frontcourts, who dominate their NCAA tournament rivals, but without the guard play, they are still vulnerable to smaller, faster teams. Even a first round draft pick like Jaden Ivey is a turnover machine against smaller, quicker guards.

If you are going to talk about coaching ability in the Big Ten, a Northwestern board is probably not the best venue, because from our vantage point, most of them look pretty good!

Last edited:
One fact you should acknowledge is that you are viewing things thru a specific lens. The NCAA selection committee clearly viewed the Big Ten and the Big 12 as the best conferences. I stated right away that I thought they had screwed up their evaluation. - the Big Ten did NOT deserve 9 teams out of 14. The NCAA relies almost entirely on computer ratings. The computers rely entirely on a handful of non-conference games in the preseason to evaluate one conference against another. After the preseason games, all the conference play does is sort out teams within the conference - it does NOT affect how the computers view conference strength. So there is a bias in the selection process before conference play even begins.

This allows / justifies nonsensical evaluations. Thats why Wake Forest, who deserved to be in the NCAA, ends up losing in the NIT Final 4 to a worthy Texas A&M team, while a mediocre team like Indiana, who should have been in the NIT, gets blown out of the NCAA.

In other words, don't blame the Big Ten, blame the NCAA for awarding them so many slots in the field.

As for the coaches, the Big Ten tends to play a certain style. The guards are normally bigger, more durable and not as quick as the guards they face in the NCAA tournament. The Big Ten doesn't really play a lot of pressure defense. When faced with it in the NCAA tournament, this can get exposed. Big Ten teams tend to have impressive frontcourts, who dominate their NCAA tournament rivals, but without the guard play, they are still vulnerable to smaller, faster teams. Even a first round draft pick like Jaden Ivey is a turnover machine against smaller, quicker guards.

If you are going to talk about coaching ability in the Big Ten, a Northwestern board is probably not the best venue, because from our vantage point, most of them look pretty good!
I need to go to dinner and a have a drink or 3, I think I am actually on board with most of what PWB says!

Big 10 is a good conference especially from a depth perspective, but lacks the true elite team like a Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc.

Those true blue blood schools also tend to get a lot more of the 5 star difference maker talents

Great comment. I am watching Villanova and Houston right now. The play is the definition of great athleticism. There is no reason the B10 should not have this consistent play. Oh yes, there is a reason--the coaches. As you stated, they employ a system that just does not work in the NCAA. Why do they employ such systems? The B10 plays 20 games playing against the same teams. Watching Rutgers, PSU and Minny with the same systems is boring as heck. I am a NU basketball season ticket holder, but when home, I prefer to randomly watch the B12 or Big East. Much more interesting games. B12 and the SEC play a challenge in I think in late January. IMO, the B10 should do that with the PAC12 or the Atlantic 10 or both in January and Feb and cut the conference schedule.

1 of 20 from behind the three point line. 1 of 20. Ouch.
Like some old sayings, "You live by the 3, you die by the 3" is one that holds some truth.

Teams like Houston can take down highly-regarded opponents who might dominate them in the paint, but when their opponent gets out there and plays aggressive perimeter defense, there's going to be a horrible shooting night at some point... and the dream ends.

I've always thought of the B1G as a solid conference that usually has a bunch of top 40 teams in it. So the conference is full of competitive, but not dominant, teams who on any given day can beat or be beaten by any team in the nation.

I rarely buy into the NCAA seeding system for reasons PWB expressed already and I also rarely expect B1G teams to excel in the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT