ADVERTISEMENT

B1G to scrap divisions?

Chances aren't great of it happening soon, but the SEC is mulling over the idea of having their own playoffs with the addition of UT and OU.

• Haha
Reactions: cidsports
Yeah, who on either side wants a protected UM NU game?
i mean in a perfect world i'd like to play every B1G team every year, but yeah Michigan doesn't make the top 5 at all. we are likely to get MSU in a 5 team crossover model and i'm fine with that because our teams have largely been on par in the last couple decades, but otherwise i want to play all the B1G west teams - IL WI IA NE and i'm fine with taking Purdue too because those games are usually fun and they are close (though i live in NYC not Chicago so that aspect isn't as directly relevant to me, but i appreciate that it is important to many)

But what about schedule inequities? 14 team league and you play nine games. Schedule advantage could definitely be a factor. In addition, do you want to see Michigan-Ohio State play one week and then have a rematch the next for the Big Ten championship? How is that fair to the winner of the first game?
The only way you're going to have an entirely fair schedule is through a true round robin schedule, and you're not going to have that with a 14-team college conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT