ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news at practice today

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Keith Watkins was carted off the field with what appeared to be a lower body injury. That's all we know. The injury report comes out tomorrow. We probably won't know anything before then.

Keith Watkins was carted off the field with what appeared to be a lower body injury. That's all we know. The injury report comes out tomorrow. We probably won't know anything before then.

$#!+

Was anyone from the press there to see the severity of it?

On the one hand, being carted off the field screams BAD. On the other hand, given Keith's past, it would make sense for them to be WAY overly cautious.

I really hope it's not serious. There was not a player on the roster that I was rooting more for this year than him. And selfishly, I was excited to see him fly around out there and be a force on the defense.

Really hoping some surprisingly good news comes next in this story.

On the one hand, being carted off the field screams BAD. On the other hand, given Keith's past, it would make sense for them to be WAY overly cautious.

I heard from one player off the record that thinks Keith will be alright and that he didn't think it was anything severe. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

Not allowed.

I thought were set for this year after we had already sacrificed Trae Williams to the NUCHG (NU Cornerback Hating Gods). Just hoping Keith is okay.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force today.

IMG_5449_zpsmm8rcekd.jpg

Reactions: LansingCat
I'm with gocatsgo on this...I thought I had read an October return was expected. Guess we will find out for sure when this week's injury report is released tomorrow.

I thought were set for this year after we had already sacrificed Trae Williams to the NUCHG (NU Cornerback Hating Gods). Just hoping Keith is okay.

Do we have an expected return date for Williams?

I saw Williams at practice yesterday for the first time. He wasn't wearing pads, but it was an encouraging sign.

I'm with gocatsgo on this...I thought I had read an October return was expected. Guess we will find out for sure when this week's injury report is released tomorrow.
Also with GCG... Achilles tears, while not fun, if straightforward and all goes well in recovery, are in the ~6 month range usually I think. I've had a couple friends who have gone through it. Think others might be confusing with ACLs, which tend to be in the 9-12 month range if all goes well.

To the main topic though, HOPING THAT KEITH IS OKAY!

Also with GCG... Achilles tears, while not fun, if straightforward and all goes well in recovery, are in the ~6 month range usually I think. I've had a couple friends who have gone through it. Think others might be confusing with ACLs, which tend to be in the 9-12 month range if all goes well.

Dan Persa begs to differ

The recovery time on an Achilles tear for an average person is quite different than for an athlete. In my opinion, an Achilles tear is the most devastating single injury that can happen to an athlete. I would be surprised if we see much of Williams this year. Getting Campbell and Mayo back will quickly restore our depth at CB.

Textbook recovery for Achilles is 6 months, but with athletes I think it is more variable due to the amount of stress and load put on the tendon. Setbacks are not uncommon, though Trae seems to have had a smooth recovery so far.

I generally think it is a more threatening injury than an ACL tear in many ways. At least recovery time and effectiveness seems to be more variable. That's my anecdotal view--not substantiated by research.

Reactions: DkeCat
Textbook recovery for Achilles is 6 months, but with athletes I think it is more variable due to the amount of stress and load put on the tendon. Setbacks are not uncommon, though Trae seems to have had a smooth recovery so far.

I generally think it is a more threatening injury than an ACL tear in many ways. At least recovery time and effectiveness seems to be more variable. That's my anecdotal view--not substantiated by research.
It is hard for me to imagine a CB recovering quickly from an Achilles injury. Back-pedaling into coverage seems like one of the highest stress actions for someone recovering from injury. Time will tell I guess.

The recovery time on an Achilles tear for an average person is quite different than for an athlete. In my opinion, an Achilles tear is the most devastating single injury that can happen to an athlete. I would be surprised if we see much of Williams this year. Getting Campbell and Mayo back will quickly restore our depth at CB.
Yes they need to get to a higher standard of physical fitness and conditioning. But they also have MUCH more active recovery and rehab activities than the average person. A friend of mine tore his Achilles 5 months ago, was able to walk normally (boot fully removed) again a month ago and has just started jogging. Obviously would not be playing contact football in another month... but he did weekly physical therapy and had regular stretches to work on on his own... somehow I suspect that Trae's recovery regiment has been a bit more structured and active day to day than that.

That said, from a high-level point I agree that it's unlikely we see Trae much this year. Even if he's back available, I think it's unlikely he's playing at his best, and if we have experienced guys like Watkins Hartage McShepard healthy, and RoCamp and Mayo waiting in the wings, it'll be awfully tough for him to break into the rotation when he's starting in a hole from not participating in offseason workouts and camp.

Yes they need to get to a higher standard of physical fitness and conditioning. But they also have MUCH more active recovery and rehab activities than the average person. A friend of mine tore his Achilles 5 months ago, was able to walk normally (boot fully removed) again a month ago and has just started jogging. Obviously would not be playing contact football in another month... but he did weekly physical therapy and had regular stretches to work on on his own... somehow I suspect that Trae's recovery regiment has been a bit more structured and active day to day than that.

That said, from a high-level point I agree that it's unlikely we see Trae much this year. Even if he's back available, I think it's unlikely he's playing at his best, and if we have experienced guys like Watkins Hartage McShepard healthy, and RoCamp and Mayo waiting in the wings, it'll be awfully tough for him to break into the rotation when he's starting in a hole from not participating in offseason workouts and camp.

My money is on him playing safety, especially that he's now listed at 212. He had started that transition last spring.

My money is on him playing safety, especially that he's now listed at 212. He had started that transition last spring.
Ah interesting point. Though we are pretty stacked at S too with Godwin Quiero and McGee. There will certainly be space at that position next year though after Godwin and Kyle graduate.

Ah interesting point. Though we are pretty stacked at S too with Godwin Quiero and McGee. There will certainly be space at that position next year though after Godwin and Kyle graduate.

When healthy, I think Trae's best role this year may be "big nickel" as I feel he's a little better in man coverage than McGee (hence his time spent at corner).

Really though, we have a lot more depth in the defensive backfield than we've had in a while. Helps to soften the blow of injuries, but Watkins would be a BIG loss. Hope the actual injury isn't as bad as it could be based on initial reports.

Reactions: ricko654321
Press had both the initial injury and subsequent setbacks.

Six months is a gen pop number for Achilles. Nearly every Achilles injury a related to athletes has what press would call a "setback" but doctors would consider almost expected. Its one of those injuries that you feel great (and things look good) and can get cleared, but repetitive stress of playing football and how you heal (or lack) means you have to retreat the injury (disclaimer - not a doctor, but one put me on shelf for a year, so know it well).

A study on football players show for those that are actually able to return, 11 months is the typical recovery. Caveat on this study is that it is old, but my rudimentary understanding is that things haven't changed that much).

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Another more recent article that shows 36% of players never play again

https://www.si.com/edge/2015/04/16/rothman-sports-medicine-achilles-injuries-kobe-bryant

To summarize - for football players, I would expect 9 months minimum (obviously there are exceptions), and don't expect the same level of power/push off. As stated above, injury particularly bad for skill positions.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Six months is a gen pop number for Achilles. Nearly every Achilles injury a related to athletes has what press would call a "setback" but doctors would consider almost expected. Its one of those injuries that you feel great (and things look good) and can get cleared, but repetitive stress of playing football and how you heal (or lack) means you have to retreat the injury (disclaimer - not a doctor, but one put me on shelf for a year, so know it well).

A study on football players show for those that are actually able to return, 11 months is the typical recovery. Caveat on this study is that it is old, but my rudimentary understanding is that things haven't changed that much).

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Another more recent article that shows 36% of players never play again

https://www.si.com/edge/2015/04/16/rothman-sports-medicine-achilles-injuries-kobe-bryant

To summarize - for football players, I would expect 9 months minimum (obviously there are exceptions), and don't expect the same level of power/push off. As stated above, injury particularly bad for skill positions.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I had suspected about this injury. It is more threatening than an ACL tear, IMO. Recovery time for athletes are comparable. It's basically a lost season.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I had suspected about this injury. It is more threatening than an ACL tear, IMO. Recovery time for athletes are comparable. It's basically a lost season.
I remember when Kalin Lucas tore his achilles back in 2010, it took him 10-11 months until he was fully back to the player had been previously. I can only imagine football is tougher than basketball when it comes to this injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT