ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news on Xavier Washington

Extremely stupid. Already suspended indefinitely, would suspect it turns into a boot if convicted.

What if he gets pretrial diversion or some other sort of deal? Would he have a chance to stay after a suspension?

So if you are XWash's attorney, what is your strategy? It appears that he has been a good citizen. Can a charge like this get reduced in some way? I would not think so, but I don't have experience in possessing felonious substances (except copious amounts of scotch)

So if you are XWash's attorney, what is your strategy? It appears that he has been a good citizen. Can a charge like this get reduced in some way? I would not think so, but I don't have experience in possessing felonious substances (except copious amounts of scotch)

Seems like good representation gets other people a good result.
It will be a tightrope to walk for NU IMO because a supportive attitude promising structure and supervision (which obviously is not enough but better than none) will be seen as positive for rehabilitation but if they cut him loose, he will be punished in all aspects of his life.

The shoe is on the other foot for us as fans. Young men make bad choices. We have been critical of other programs for being too lenient while they cry out that they are trying to be redemptive. We like to play up our family feel. What kind of family are we now?

Reactions: Dugan15
Throw him to the wolves.

Not serious. The first question is whether he has an addiction, which does not seem likely given that he has been a model citizen up to this point. Addicts usually cannot keep up a demanding routine for several years, and I doubt his teammates would tolerate this.

So if this is an isolated incident, I say punish him but don't destroy his future, if that makes sense. Suspend him for the season, take away his schollie, but allow him to finish his degree if he behaves.

Throw him to the wolves.

Not serious. The first question is whether he has an addiction, which does not seem likely given that he has been a model citizen up to this point. Addicts usually cannot keep up a demanding routine for several years, and I doubt his teammates would tolerate this.

So if this is an isolated incident, I say punish him but don't destroy his future, if that makes sense. Suspend him for the season, take away his schollie, but allow him to finish his degree if he behaves.

I know NU is not other schools. But what do other schools do?
NU has to think about what is best for the program as well as XW. Languishing for a whole year may make things worse for him. The charges could get reduced (I hope NU helps him get a good lawyer), his probation may require he be in some sort of supportive system.

I don't know his prior record, but if it is a first offense, he will likely get probation. It was not a large amount, so no "intent to distribute".

From an NU academic and football standpoint, I imagine he will be suspended for an athletic season. Idk university policy for students in general re "criminal" behavior

I know NU is not other schools. But what do other schools do?
NU has to think about what is best for the program as well as XW. Languishing for a whole year may make things worse for him. The charges could get reduced (I hope NU helps him get a good lawyer), his probation may require he be in some sort of supportive system.
Which other schools? SEC or Big12? If he is in the two deep, they talk about redemption and he never misses a down. If he is not in the two deep, they talk about being tough and open up a scholarship. It is not a matter of what other schools do. It is a matter of who we are and who we want to attract. I am not sure I want to be a school that is so fully supportive of a player that committed a felony that it appears that it is okay to commit felonies.

Kicking him off the team but supporting him in his case with character references and giving him the opportunity to finish his degree seems like the kind of support a family would give.

Disappointing, and I hope he can get help and work his way out of this. If I've been lucky in life, it's that I've never really been tempted to use illicit drugs, even when I was going to school in the drug haze of the late '60s. Just could never understand the attraction and saw too many examples of people going down in flames as the result of drug (or excessive alcohol) use.

This is sad to say, but I think cocaine is far more of a recreational, one-time drug than it used to be, especially as pot has gone mostly mainstream. Not saying this couldn't be a deeper issue than a college kid doing something really stupid, but the time of arrest and circumstances suggest that to me.

While I strongly believe that someone needs to be kicked off from a team for acts of violence or possession of weapons or for sellling or distributing drugs, and (usually) for theft or other crimes against others, I've never believed that someone ought to be kicked out / kicked off a team for possession of a drug in a small amount for personal use. While at Northwestern, I can name 50+ persons, along with myself some 30 years ago, who used powdered cocaine in the amount possessed by Washington. We were immature and, speaking for myself, had no appreciation of the severity of the consequences had I been unlucky to have been caught. I did not use after college and myself and the 10 or so of my friends who had used who I remain in some form of contact today have, and continue to contribute positively to society. I am not condemning those who think differently than I do with regard to the fact that college is a time for kids to experiment and learn from their mistakes, but I simply believe the consequences discussed by some are grossly disproportionate to the misbehavior. I do think that Washington deserves to suffer some adverse consequences, including a suspension from at least 1-2 games (or the entire preseason), but do not agree with those that are calling for more servere sanctions given that there is no evidence that he intended to, or did, harm any other person, attempted to sell drugs, or even deprived another of their property.

This is sad to say, but I think cocaine is far more of a recreational, one-time drug than it used to be, especially as pot has gone mostly mainstream. Not saying this couldn't be a deeper issue than a college kid doing something really stupid, but the time of arrest and circumstances suggest that to me.

I think you're right. Pot is much more powerful than it used to be and in its synthetic forms is highly dangerous, especially to developing brains.

Getting caught with half a gram of coke is like getting busted for an open bottle of liquor in the car. Those that drink regularly shrug at the open liquor but don't judge and write the person off. But those who haven't been around coke think offenders with coke are miscreants.

I'm still waiting to read about someone who is bit coked up that got behind the wheel and caused a fatal accident. I'm sure it happened, but much, much easier to do when one's been drinking.

Reactions: PaCat

.5 grams of coke is residue. The smallest purchase common to college campus is a $40-$50 bag which is about a gram. That is good for a couple of bumps. And if it was wrapped in a dollar bill (common practice) and not a plastic baggie, then it becomes a more interesting case. (Pull just about any denomination out of your pocket and test it for cocaine. I have seen studies that put coke residue on over 75% of our currency.) I can see a good lawyer getting this knocked way down as a trial would have some evidentiary and intent concerns. Besides, X seemingly has no record, goes to a good school, is a good student, etc.

That said, if you are X - you are probably finished at NU FB. You have another year of eligibility and NFL aspirations. I think he sits out, graduates - probably all on NU scholllie unless he gets convicted of a felony (which could be dragged out well into next year by a decent lawyer....). Then he makes the 5th year transfer to a FB program not concerned about the arrest and willing to give him a chance to either start or get good minutes - and bring back his NFL chance.

It's is unfortunate. Coke is quite mainstream, luckily it wasn't heroine. But NU won't sacrifice image so it will sacrifice a quality DE and another school will get a one year rental. If X keeps his nose clean, I doubt this will impact his chances in the league as much as the quality of his play will. Hope he spends the year working out hard, not playing video games.

Getting caught with half a gram of coke is like getting busted for an open bottle of liquor in the car. Those that drink regularly shrug at the open liquor but don't judge and write the person off. But those who haven't been around coke think offenders with coke are miscreants.

I'm still waiting to read about someone who is bit coked up that got behind the wheel and caused a fatal accident. I'm sure it happened, but much, much easier to do when one's been drinking.

Interesting comparison. If this turns out to be a simple possession with no other circumstances and no prior warnings, I'd vote to let Xavier earn his spot back.

Being a student-athlete is the priveledge of a lifetime and should command the respect as such.

He should be told in no uncertain terms that he will not play this year, and if convicted, his Northwestern career is over. However, since he has wanted to act as a normal student, he will be allowed to remain one if he chooses. I would have no problem keeping him on scholarship, even.

We should be in the business of developing young men to the highest of their potential. There need to be consequences. I just don't think denying him a chance at his degree serves him best in the long run. He hasn't caused undo harm on anyone, let him graduate, and cheer on the football team from the sidelines.

My biggest worry is that it's *highly* unlikely he got this crazy one off idea on his own. I hope it's not deeper. It's tremendously unjust to assume so with no evidence, this just isn't something one does by themselves in college.

Reactions: Dugan15
While I strongly believe that someone needs to be kicked off from a team for acts of violence or possession of weapons or for sellling or distributing drugs, and (usually) for theft or other crimes against others, I've never believed that someone ought to be kicked out / kicked off a team for possession of a drug in a small amount for personal use. While at Northwestern, I can name 50+ persons, along with myself some 30 years ago, who used powdered cocaine in the amount possessed by Washington. We were immature and, speaking for myself, had no appreciation of the severity of the consequences had I been unlucky to have been caught. I did not use after college and myself and the 10 or so of my friends who had used who I remain in some form of contact today have, and continue to contribute positively to society. I am not condemning those who think differently than I do with regard to the fact that college is a time for kids to experiment and learn from their mistakes, but I simply believe the consequences discussed by some are grossly disproportionate to the misbehavior. I do think that Washington deserves to suffer some adverse consequences, including a suspension from at least 1-2 games (or the entire preseason), but do not agree with those that are calling for more servere sanctions given that there is no evidence that he intended to, or did, harm any other person, attempted to sell drugs, or even deprived another of their property.
Similar to my story. Just lucky I never got caught. Haven't done anything like that since college.
Depending on the final story and conviction, I just have to trust that NU comes up with a redemptive strategy. The investigation and prosecution will reveal a few things, some of which we will never know about. I have no problem with NU cooperating with the courts to in what ever fashion they determine is best. If it seems lenient, I will except that they know what they are doing and if it seems severe, except that the know what they are doing.
I'm more concerned with XW than with NU. NU will be fine. In my world sacrificial forgiveness is a more powerful part of redemption than self serving condemnation. That forgiveness can only come with authentic contrition.
This is a very important moment in XW's life.

Extremely stupid. Already suspended indefinitely, would suspect it turns into a boot if convicted.
Let's just wait and see what happens. 0.5 grams seems pretty low. Is it a felony or misdemeanor? Lot's of people have made mistakes and if it is a one time thing... does he deserve a second chance? Punishment yes but what should be the level? Suspend a couple games? Continual testing and counseling? Just saying first time offenders generally get a bit of a break. Now if he has a history, by all means, time to go.

Was just talking to a cop about this. All depends how the drugs were found as well. Was he under arrest before they found them, or was it a search out of suspicion. The charges might not even stick.

Let's just wait and see what happens. 0.5 grams seems pretty low. Is it a felony or misdmeanor? Lot's of people have made mistakes and if it is a one time thing... does he deserve a second chance? Punishment yes but what should be the level? Suspend a couple games? Continual testing and counseling? Just saying first time offenders generally get a bit of a break.
Felony. No such thing as misdemeanor possession of coke in Illinois, AFAIK.

He should be suspended from all team activities until the legal process concludes.

Assuming he's not off to jail, he should not play for at least part, if not all, of next season.

It might very well be appropriate to yank his schollie and kick him off the team.

It would be preferable, IMO, that he has a chance to retain his enrollment at NU and earn his degree.

Seems like good representation gets other people a good result.
It will be a tightrope to walk for NU IMO because a supportive attitude promising structure and supervision (which obviously is not enough but better than none) will be seen as positive for rehabilitation but if they cut him loose, he will be punished in all aspects of his life.

The shoe is on the other foot for us as fans. Young men make bad choices. We have been critical of other programs for being too lenient while they cry out that they are trying to be redemptive. We like to play up our family feel. What kind of family are we now?
I think we are all in agreement on certain types of offenses but I don't think there is such a consensus with cases like this. First does he have any other history? Second, does he have a problem with the substance or is this a one off? This would seem to be a pretty small amount so distribution is not a factor. It would seem some punishment would be in order but if a one off situation, some leniency as well. Obviously if he remains with the program, regular testing and counseling will be part of his program.

If Luis Castillo was caught for his performance enhancers this time prior to his junior year would people be outraged and want him kicked off the team. Or would they want him to be counseled?

Wrestler made a great point. This is an opportunity to educate and keep this young man's life on track. Whether he plays football is not of massive importance. His understanding why this behavior is destructive is.

I doubt he's going to get a felony with such a small amount. It will be downgraded to a misdemeanor since he is a first time offender. I also think it's premature to think we won't see him in an NU uniform. Most other schools would suspend him for a few games but Fitz and NU does seem to have higher standards than other schools.

For example, the kicker at Clemson got suspended for 3 games for cocaine possession AND a DUI.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/08/20/clemson-tigers-kicker-ammon-lakip-suspension

As a side note, in the eyes of the federal government, marijuana and heroine are schedule 1 drugs that have no medical use. Cocaine is a schedule 2 drug so it is a controlled substance. I've heard it is a good drug for certain nasal surgeries since it numbs and reduces bleeding via vasoconstriction. In the eyes of the federal government, having this little cocaine is similar to having a couple pills of OxyContin or hydrocodone that were not prescribed to you.

.5 grams of coke is residue. The smallest purchase common to college campus is a $40-$50 bag which is about a gram. That is good for a couple of bumps. And if it was wrapped in a dollar bill (common practice) and not a plastic baggie, then it becomes a more interesting case. (Pull just about any denomination out of your pocket and test it for cocaine. I have seen studies that put coke residue on over 75% of our currency.) I can see a good lawyer getting this knocked way down as a trial would have some evidentiary and intent concerns. Besides, X seemingly has no record, goes to a good school, is a good student, etc.

That said, if you are X - you are probably finished at NU FB. You have another year of eligibility and NFL aspirations. I think he sits out, graduates - probably all on NU scholllie unless he gets convicted of a felony (which could be dragged out well into next year by a decent lawyer....). Then he makes the 5th year transfer to a FB program not concerned about the arrest and willing to give him a chance to either start or get good minutes - and bring back his NFL chance.

It's is unfortunate. Coke is quite mainstream, luckily it wasn't heroine. But NU won't sacrifice image so it will sacrifice a quality DE and another school will get a one year rental. If X keeps his nose clean, I doubt this will impact his chances in the league as much as the quality of his play will. Hope he spends the year working out hard, not playing video games.

I live in a small town, and heroin is devastating right now, almost on a par with the crack cocaine problems of years ago. We've had multiple overdoses, with a guy found dead a few hundred feet off our main street a couple of weeks ago. Opioids also continue to be a problem.

I think you're right. Pot is much more powerful than it used to be and in its synthetic forms is highly dangerous, especially to developing brains.

Please. I don't disagree that getting busted for 0.5g of coke for personal use shouldn't be overblown. But, to compare weed with coke? C'mon. Weed is innocuous. No one has ever OD'd on Weed. No one gets in fights with weed. No one becomes addicted to weed. Weed is a lot more harmless than nicotine or alcohol. Much less coke.

I live in a small town, and heroin is devastating right now, almost on a par with the crack cocaine problems of years ago. We've had multiple overdoses, with a guy found dead a few hundred feet off our main street a couple of weeks ago. Opioids also continue to be a problem.

Dude, heroin is on a totally different level. Don't ever touch that stuff. Or Meth.

Please. I don't disagree that getting busted for 0.5g of coke for personal use shouldn't be overblown. But, to compare weed with coke? C'mon. Weed is innocuous. No one has ever OD'd on Weed. No one gets in fights with weed. No one becomes addicted to weed. Weed is a lot more harmless than nicotine or alcohol. Much less coke.

Recent NIH study...not discrediting what you say about nicotine and alcohol...I just don't think that coke is that much worse....just different

causal link between repeated cannabinoid exposure during adolescence and an interruption of the normal maturation processes in the prefrontal cortex, a region in the brain's frontal lobe, which regulates decision making and working memory and undergoes critical development during adolescence

While somewhat apples/oranges there is some previous NU precedent. Having a brain fart on the name but after either 95 or 96 Barnett suspended a linebacker for a year. His "crime" involved some credit card funny business. He stuck with the program and played the year after his suspension.

While somewhat apples/oranges there is some previous NU precedent. Having a brain fart on the name but after either 95 or 96 Barnett suspended a linebacker for a year. His "crime" involved some credit card funny business. He stuck with the program and played the year after his suspension.

Brett Walsh got suspended, but came back and earned a starting job last year:

http://northwestern.247sports.com/Article/NU-linebacker-Walsh-arrested-suspended-32379512

Xavier Menifield wasn't so fortunate:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...nifield-facing-weapons-charges-150136672.html

Let me preface my POV by stating that I've never tried cocaine. While I've made my fair share of other mistakes - and am certainly addicted to caffeine - I just avoided blow in college and thereafter, and am glad that I have. However I knew plenty of other students who claimed they partied with it and then went on to successful careers after NU. Some sadly developed addictions to it & really struggled.

If XW was not a football player and was just a normal student, I doubt this would even make the police blotter. And unless he wanted to go into law enforcement it wouldn't derail any "normal" career. So it's not the end of the world.

I don't think there's enough information here to come to a decision. If XW has an addiction issue, getting him help to deal with that should be priority #1. I'm much more worried about Xavier the human being than I am the football player, and I hope his posession & subsequent arrest is simply a mistake.

If this is a first-time mistake by an otherwise decent citizen and solid student-athlete, a shorter term suspension would be merited in my book and perhaps a return for BT play. He's not been in any other trouble that I'm aware of. But if Fitz has privately warned him before over other issues / concerns, this may be the final straw and he'll likely be kicked off the team. I hope he would still be allowed to finish his degree at NU whatever happens.

Get help XW! We all make mistakes, and hopefully this is just a dumb college one. But if this is an addiction and you need support, it is out there.

(Typed on an iPhone, sorry for typos)

Link to study mentioned by Medill90...

https://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/ne...-use-interrupts-adolescent-brain-development/

Pretty damning initial findings for those who want pot legalized. This is the first study that indicates there is a causal link between teen use of pot and abnormal (inhibited) prefrontal cortex development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT