ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news on Xavier Washington

Link to study mentioned by Medill90...

https://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/ne...-use-interrupts-adolescent-brain-development/

Pretty damning initial findings for those who want pot legalized. This is the first study that indicates there is a causal link between teen use of pot and abnormal (inhibited) prefrontal cortex development.

Legal weed for adults is different from legalization for adolescents and minors. Kids who drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes are going to mess up their development too.

105%. ECat would be on it double time.

Not really. I never got on people's case for smoking weed, for underage drinking, and 0.5g of coke would be the same for me.

Drug dealing, carrying automatic weapons, felony assault, rape, these are things I call out Ohio State thugs for. Not to mention outright institutional academic fraud.

Another player who derailed a promising career from coke was the starting QB who set freshman passing records and broke The Streak in the early 80's. He was immensely talented and could've played in the NFL.

Legal weed for adults is different from legalization for adolescents and minors. Kids who drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes are going to mess up their development too.

You're high or smoked too much as an adolescent if you don't think this will hurt pot legalization.

Dude, heroin is on a totally different level. Don't ever touch that stuff. Or Meth.

Never have touched anything like that, even as a kid, and have no intention of doing so. I'm a major jazz fan, so I'm well aware of the perils of heroin as dozens of musicians in the '50s and '60s were on the stuff. Many of them, most famously Charlie Parker, died young.

Another player who derailed a promising career from coke was the starting QB who set freshman passing records and broke The Streak in the early 80's. He was immensely talented and could've played in the NFL.
You mean sandy schwab? at the time, i didn't realize how good of a player he was coming out of hs in california.

You mean sandy schwab? at the time, i didn't realize how good of a player he was coming out of hs in california.
Sorry but I don't remember Schwab ever being accused or convicted as a drug offender. I do remember him as a pretty darn good QB.

Similar to my story. Just lucky I never got caught. Haven't done anything like that since college.
Depending on the final story and conviction, I just have to trust that NU comes up with a redemptive strategy. The investigation and prosecution will reveal a few things, some of which we will never know about. I have no problem with NU cooperating with the courts to in what ever fashion they determine is best. If it seems lenient, I will except that they know what they are doing and if it seems severe, except that the know what they are doing.
I'm more concerned with XW than with NU. NU will be fine. In my world sacrificial forgiveness is a more powerful part of redemption than self serving condemnation. That forgiveness can only come with authentic contrition.
This is a very important moment in XW's life.

Way late to the game, but same for me. I pulled a lot of stupid shit in college and never got caught. And it was all luck. Some of my friends weren't so fortunate. I was also quite fortunate that I didn't have 100's of old dudes following my every move and discussing my mistakes on message boards, along with dozens of sports journalists who were willing to publish stories about my mistakes. I guess the attention is the price of the privilege of being a student athlete (and getting that sweet scholarship).

Some additional thoughts/rants:

1. I also just want to say that, unsurprisingly, most of my mistakes in college immediately followed periods of heavy binge drinking. And I can say with certainty that I wouldn't have done those things if I hadn't been drinking. Alcohol, as another poster said, is the gateway drug. Not weed, and not coke. Ever had a "few too many" in a single night? You were probably more "f----d up" than someone on .5g of coke. And you probably posed a greater danger to the public. I'm not excusing recreational drug use (drugs are bad, mmkay?), but it's worth remembering that we treat alcohol use much differently than drug use even when the after-effects are similar.

2. XW has the privilege of being a student athlete at one of the premier universities in the world. As such he faces greater scrutiny than a "plain-old" student. He made a mistake, and he'll be punished for it more than a "plain-old" student would be. I just hope that NU realizes the primary concern should be for XW and his long-term health. If he needs help I hope he gets it. He's a smart guy and should at the very least get his degree. He's put in a ton of work already and has a bright future ahead of him, despite this slip-up.

3. Also, as others are saying, this really does put things into perspective. We'd probably all be calling for an OSU player to get expelled if caught with a similar substance. Try to keep this in mind the next time someone on another team gets busted for possession.

Last edited:
Way late to the game, but same for me. I pulled a lot of stupid shit in college and never got caught. And it was all luck. Some of my friends weren't so fortunate. I was also quite fortunate that I didn't have 100's of old dudes following my every move and discussing my mistakes on message boards, along with dozens of sports journalists who were willing to publish stories about my mistakes. I guess the attention is the price of the privilege of being a student athlete (and getting that sweet scholarship).

Some additional thoughts/rants:

1. I also just want to say that, unsurprisingly, most of my illicit drug activity in college immediately followed periods of heavy binge drinking. And I can say with certainty that I wouldn't have done those things if I hadn't been drinking. Alcohol, as another poster said, is the gateway drug. Not weed, and not coke. Ever had a "few too many" in a single night? You were probably more "f----d up" than someone on .5g of coke. And you probably posed a greater danger to the public. Yet alcohol is viewed in a much more positive light than coke. Just a thought.

3. XW has the privilege of being a student athlete at one of the premier universities in the world. As such he faces greater scrutiny than a "plain-old" student. He made a mistake, and he'll be punished for it more than a "plain-old" student would be. I just hope that NU realizes the primary concern should be for XW and his long-term health. If he needs help I hope he gets it. He's a smart guy and should at the very least get his degree. He's put in a ton of work already and has a bright future ahead of him, despite this slip-up.

4. Also, as others are saying, this really does put things into perspective. We'd probably all be calling for an OSU player to get expelled if caught with a similar substance. Try to keep this in mind the next time someone on another team gets busted for possession.

Seems that the effects of your college life include forgetting about rant#2.

Now that I'm done being obnoxious, I agree with your points. We need to be much less punitive about drug use in general.

It's worth pointing out that not all student athletes are equal either. When I fenced in the 1980's, drug testing for NCAA athletes was new. I remember one of my teammates leaving the bathroom after the test, looking at me, and saying, "I just failed that one." I asked him the last time he had smoked, and he said "last night." He had to go to a one-hour seminar on drug awareness. True, he didn't get arrested, but it was clearly a case of who really cares.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Seems that the effects of your college life include forgetting about rant#2.

Now that I'm done being obnoxious, I agree with your points. We need to be much less punitive about drug use in general.

It's worth pointing out that not all student athletes are equal either. When I fenced in the 1980's, drug testing for NCAA athletes was new. I remember one of my teammates leaving the bathroom after the test, looking at me, and saying, "I just failed that one." I asked him the last time he had smoked, and he said "last night." He had to go to a one-hour seminar on drug awareness. True, he didn't get arrested, but it was clearly a case of who really cares.

Doh!

And yeah, recreational drug possession is often prosecuted to the same degree as violent crime. It makes little sense.

I cannot say I would be calling for the OSU athlete to be expelled for something like this. Fortunately for us, many of the issues for OSU athletes that we rant against are not so tame so don't have to be hypocritical to suggest leniency in the case of XW.

Yes.

Sorry but I don't remember Schwab ever being accused or convicted as a drug offender. I do remember him as a pretty darn good QB.

He was never convicted as far as I know but he definitely was accused of being a coke head. Everyone "knew". He broke freshman passing records, helped snapped the historic losing streak, and then was done playing before his senior year. A colossal waste of talent.

Yes.

He was never convicted as far as I know but he definitely was accused of being a coke head. Everyone "knew". He broke freshman passing records, helped snapped the historic losing streak, and then was done playing before his senior year. A colossal waste of talent.
Thanks, I always wondered why he didn't continue being a top gun QB.

Thanks, I always wondered why he didn't continue being a top gun QB.

Sadly he had to go into his father's business. His dad, Charles Schwab, is worth an estimated $8 billion, and Sandy (Real name Charles Schwab Junior) is an extremely wealthy man.

It is amazing what one can accomplish with a Northwestern degree and a very wealthy father.

I wonder if he only got a 1 million dollar loan to get started from his father like poor Donald. It was tough being a rich kid.

You're high or smoked too much as an adolescent if you don't think this will hurt pot legalization.

Also, not all pot is created equal. There are different strains and strengths of the weed — some much more potent than others. A friend of mine who spent time in 'Nam said the stuff over there was industrial strength.

Yes.

Life was good for the Marin County kid when your dad is named Charles and has a small little business you could get involved with... ;)

If Luis Castillo was caught for his performance enhancers this time prior to his junior year would people be outraged and want him kicked off the team. Or would they want him to be counseled?

Wrestler made a great point. This is an opportunity to educate and keep this young man's life on track. Whether he plays football is not of massive importance. His understanding why this behavior is destructive is.

You lost me at "Wrestler made a great point".

I used to have a close friend who would hang out with him. Nice guy! Never heard about the weed thing.

My opinion does not matter, yet I am compelled to share it...

I was hoping we were talking about pot, disappointed it's coke, and "relieved" it's not heroin or meth.

The coke, by itself, is not pretty, but I can't say I'd care about any Northwestern student getting busted for it.

It's the "fled on foot" part that gets me to thinking that any hope he had to stay with the program is nil.

I would agree with anyone who would argue that being a scholarship B10 athlete is a privilege and their behavior is and should be held to a higher standard. I would also argue to some degree that coke is a "personal choice crime," as opposed to DUI, domestic violence, firearms possessions, etc.

So I guess when all is said and done, I am happy to defer to Fitz the millionaire to own decisions like these, and would respect whatever is decided.

Since he already was nabbed with the presence on him, I would think that it would be an automatic 1 year suspension from the team, at minimal. There has to be life lessons accompanied with a tough road back that demands extra effort on Xwas part, IF, he doesn't just get kicked off the team. I'd kick him off with zero tolerance as we have in many workplaces which have been successful. At any rate, anything less than a 1 year full suspension would corrupt the program and incite other players to participate if the penalty is less severe.

We had cleaner kids who did NO drugs but had a tough academic time and got whacked for a year off the team. I would think that being busted with hard core drugs, on the university dime, would be less tolerable. Dunno.
Turk, you have the correct answer. Whether the player is a pothead, cokehead, etc, he breached a big line of trust and must lose a full year, at minimum. He even resisted and ran.
Although I agree with you, Fitz will blow this over and only suspend him for a partial season like Tressel, Saban, and Paterno did. No tough love or life lessons will be learned as $$$ will trump what Northwestern once stood for.

My opinion does not matter, yet I am compelled to share it...

I was hoping we were talking about pot, disappointed it's coke, and "relieved" it's not heroin or meth.

The coke, by itself, is not pretty, but I can't say I'd care about any Northwestern student getting busted for it.

It's the "fled on foot" part that gets me to thinking that any hope he had to stay with the program is nil.

I would agree with anyone who would argue that being a scholarship B10 athlete is a privilege and their behavior is and should be held to a higher standard. I would also argue to some degree that coke is a "personal choice crime," as opposed to DUI, domestic violence, firearms possessions, etc.

So I guess when all is said and done, I am happy to defer to Fitz the millionaire to own decisions like these, and would respect whatever is decided.
Depends on whether Coke user was driving. But all we have heard was possession.

Also, not all pot is created equal. There are different strains and strengths of the weed — some much more potent than others. A friend of mine who spent time in 'Nam said the stuff over there was industrial strength.

The stuff sold at US dispensaries (Colorado) is industrial strength, the product of decades of careful cultivation. There are varieties with THC percentages as high as 28%.

Depends on whether Coke user was driving. But all we have heard was possession.

I'd be a lot more secure if a coke user with 0.5 grams was driving than if a stoned or drunk person was driving.

Nobody is saying teenagers should smoke weed.
Yea but some commented that Washington only had residue so this really isnt a big issue.
The reality is that the player must have a huge problem since he knew everything he came here would be on the line. An addiction it seems.

Yea but some commented that Washington only had residue so this really isnt a big issue.
The reality is that the player must have a huge problem since he knew everything he came here would be on the line. An addiction it seems.

Just shut up! You don't know anything about anything.

Just shut up! You don't know anything about anything.
I do know that he had alot on the line, especially if he cant afford school. We also know he is a bright kid so that suggest he had a problem and wasnt just casual.
Otherwise, im not buying your previous player sympathy act.

At the end of the day, sympathy will rule and he wont be suspended for a year. Players with similar addictions will note this.

I do know that he had alot on the line, especially if he cant afford school. We also know he is a bright kid so that suggest he had a problem and wasnt just casual.

At the end of the day, sympathy will rule and he wont be suspended for a year. Players with similar addictions will note this.

Based upon all of your posts, you resemble an ignorant kook. That's your fault for posting non-stop idiocy. Live with it.

Come a little closer and tell me what you smell. Sulfur? Do you like turtles?

Last edited:

Having a lot to lose doesn't equate to an addiction. It might signal stupidity, but by no means have any evidence surfaced to suggest an addiction.

ADVERTISEMENT