ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news on Xavier Washington

Having a lot to lose doesn't equate to an addiction. It might signal stupidity, but by no means have any evidence surfaced to suggest an addiction.
At 3 AM, he had no doubt already been drinking or something. Probably not in the most clear frame of mind.

Having a lot to lose doesn't equate to an addiction. It might signal stupidity, but by no means have any evidence surfaced to suggest an addiction.
It could signal stupidity as you suggested but being at Northwestern suggest he isnt so stupid.
He was doing coke and letting down his team mates bigtime. Alot was on the line (no pun intended) Lets see how Fitz handles it. Players are watching.
How Fitz handles it may determine if we advance to a more competitive program. If he leans towards a sympathetic stance towards the player then there is a chance that more 4 or 5 stars will sign with us and a different sort of player will come here.
That would be a fair decision by Fitz but those pollyannas complaining about the MSUs, OSUs, and Ped State's of this $ sport would have to shut up for once about how much integrity we have.

Fans like me will renew our tickets and enjoy getting more NFL draftable players. To be sure, i think he should be suspended at least one full year. But, as a fan, i have no problem if Fitz yields against being tough. The end result, as twisted as it sounds, could be more 4 stars here and our first division crown.

It could signal stupidity as you suggested but being at Northwestern suggest he isnt so stupid.
I went to NU and I was dumb as a rock at that age. If we are going to go "grammar police" then the most apt word would be "immaturity" rather than "stupidity."

He was doing coke and letting down his team mates bigtime. Alot was on the line (no pun intended) Lets see how Fitz handles it. Players are watching.
How Fitz handles it may determine if we advance to a more competitive program. If he leans towards a sympathetic stance towards the player then there is a chance that more 4 or 5 stars will sign with us and a different sort of player will come here.
That would be a fair decision by Fitz but those pollyannas complaining about the MSUs, OSUs, and Ped State's of this $ sport would have to shut up for once about how much integrity we have.

Fans like me will renew our tickets and enjoy getting more NFL draftable players. To be sure, i think he should be suspended at least one full year. But, as a fan, i have no problem if Fitz yields against being tough. The end result, as twisted as it sounds, could be more 4 stars here and our first division crown.

Just stop, troll.

Seriously stop. There's kids on campuses every weekend with lots to lose if they get caught. Doesn't stop them from still doing stupid stuff. Don't go out throwing false addiction claims if you don't know addiction is a big deal.

Reactions: FitzFan
That is good for a couple of bumps.

look at xyzbob putting on the disco wear and posting on Rivals
My opinion does not matter, yet I am compelled to share it...

I was hoping we were talking about pot, disappointed it's coke, and "relieved" it's not heroin or meth.

The coke, by itself, is not pretty, but I can't say I'd care about any Northwestern student getting busted for it.

It's the "fled on foot" part that gets me to thinking that any hope he had to stay with the program is nil.

I would agree with anyone who would argue that being a scholarship B10 athlete is a privilege and their behavior is and should be held to a higher standard. I would also argue to some degree that coke is a "personal choice crime," as opposed to DUI, domestic violence, firearms possessions, etc.

So I guess when all is said and done, I am happy to defer to Fitz the millionaire to own decisions like these, and would respect whatever is decided.

Good post. Your "fled on foot" is a different twist and leads to to think that the issue the entirety of action...he put himself in a place at a time with drugs on his person that drew the attention of the police. He tried to remedy that by running away. Probably good for him that he got caught. His parents are now involved and he'll get tough love.

I'd say a year off of football would be good because being at NU for another two years will do him more good than bad. We haven't talked about his teammates. What he hears from them isn't going to be pretty.

All that said, I was once young and ran from the police. My dad was former military. A billy club to the back of the head was less of a threat than facing my dad. I grew up and stopped doing stupid stuff. Mostly stopped.

Seriously stop. There's kids on campuses every weekend with lots to lose if they get caught. Doesn't stop them from still doing stupid stuff. Don't go out throwing false addiction claims if you don't know addiction is a big deal.
Your statements are inconsistent with the integrity of most Northwestern students. In fact, few of them get arrested, and if they do, they dont have to be chased by police and arrested for coke.
As a fan, I hope that Fitzgerald goes soft with minimal teaching/consequences. Recruits are watching and if we break from traditions and finally allow some wiggle room on first drug offenses then it may allow more 4 or 5 stars to consider our program.

And, if we do wiggle on drugs, will we treat academic probation with more wiggle or would we still pull their scholarships for a year until they get back into compliance?

We shouldnt be more strict with players who fall out of compliance for academic reasons if we wiggle on coke participants. Venric Mark would have loved some wiggle room.

Last edited:
Your statements are inconsistent with the integrity of most Northwestern students. In fact, few of them get arrested, and if they do, they dont have to be chased by police and arrested for coke.
As a fan, I hope that Fitzgerald goes soft with minimal teaching/consequences. Recruits are watching and if we break from traditions and finally allow some wiggle room on first drug offenses then it may allow more 4 or 5 stars to consider our program.

And, if we do wiggle on drugs, will we treat academic probation with more wiggle or would we still pull their scholarships for a year until they get back into compliance?

We shouldnt be more strict with players who fall out of compliance for academic reasons if we wiggle on coke participants. Venric Mark would have loved some wiggle room.

So the standard for getting more 4- and 5-star players is allowing wiggle room on drug offenses? I'm not necessarily for lowering the boom on Washington, but I think that statement is an insult to a lot of young men.

Institutional control will be reinforced, no matter what Fitz believes the best course of action will be. I doubt he will make this decision without consulting his boss. Similarly, the comment about leniency attracting higher-rated recruits is simply trolling.

Amid all this discussion, one thing we don't know is the player's off-field history. There may or may not be other issues that may or may not be factored into whatever NU's decision is.

First off if you take a sample size the size of any college really there will be arrests regardless of the school. Also just because there's not a lot of arrests doesn't mean people aren't doing bad stuff just means they're getting away with it. Northwestern may be a really good elite school in which I'm a fan of but if you think that their student body doesn't involve themselves in their fair share of partying activities that could lead to arrests you're crazy. Also I'm not fighting for wiggle room just kinda fighting against you blindly accusing addiction. Didn't Venric only have a 4 game suspension? So Xwash I'd guess at least full season especially with what one poster said fleeing on foot. I wouldn't really call that wiggle room.

So the standard for getting more 4- and 5-star players is allowing wiggle room on drug offenses? I'm not necessarily for lowering the boom on Washington, but I think that statement is an insult to a lot of young men.
Unfortunately, if recreational use cocaine is as rampant with young athletes as assumed then such athletes will attend less strict schools to lessen the risk of longterm suspensions and removals. Not sure of the NCAA standards on performance enhancing drugs and suspensions to match but Id be curious to know what the penalties are for failures when a kid drops for a random drug test?
Knowing that may allow us to more accurately determine any coke or heroin suspensions.
And maybe Northwestern should have more tolerance in this world if coke is as recreational as some of you suggest. I simply don't know and may be a little too old school to understand the present day acceptable common usages of meth/coke/crack/heroine.

Institutional control will be reinforced, no matter what Fitz believes the best course of action will be. I doubt he will make this decision without consulting his boss. Similarly, the comment about leniency attracting higher-rated recruits is simply trolling.

Amid all this discussion, one thing we don't know is the player's off-field history. There may or may not be other issues that may or may not be factored into whatever NU's decision is.

Actually, the coach should have no say in penalties, as he or she has a conflict of interest. The school administration should take disciplinary action independent of the athletic department.

Actually, the coach should have no say in penalties, as he or she has a conflict of interest. The school administration should take disciplinary action independent of the athletic department.
Is that the way they do it at Auburn? North Carolina? Baylor? Pen St.? Ohio St.? ND? Didn't think so.

Turk, you have the correct answer. Whether the player is a pothead, cokehead, etc, he breached a big line of trust and must lose a full year, at minimum. He even resisted and ran.
Although I agree with you, Fitz will blow this over and only suspend him for a partial season like Tressel, Saban, and Paterno did. No tough love or life lessons will be learned as $$$ will trump what Northwestern once stood for.

Not sure I blame him for running, given how trigger happy the police are these days.

Good post. Your "fled on foot" is a different twist and leads to to think that the issue the entirety of action...he put himself in a place at a time with drugs on his person that drew the attention of the police. He tried to remedy that by running away. Probably good for him that he got caught. His parents are now involved and he'll get tough love.

I'd say a year off of football would be good because being at NU for another two years will do him more good than bad. We haven't talked about his teammates. What he hears from them isn't going to be pretty.

All that said, I was once young and ran from the police. My dad was former military. A billy club to the back of the head was less of a threat than facing my dad. I grew up and stopped doing stupid stuff. Mostly stopped.

I think your post is right on the money on taking a year off. I think there should be some consequences for his actions, but I do not place this offense at the same level as occurs regarding, battery, improper sexual conduct, assaults or thefts. Aside from the penalty aspect, I hope NU also addresses the consumption and the stupid act issues.

As to the behavior, I ran from the police countless times in college, but on three occasions, not quick enough which resulted in disorderly conduct arrests. Another police involvement during my college years later almost derailed my career ambitions. We were able to get the charges dismissed and I now look back at events as really stupid, but the initial charge did not read well and my underwear was well soiled from the events. None of these acts involved me harming anyone else or stealing. In my opinion, when injury to another, assault or stealing occurs, you have crossed the line and you better hope the court has mercy on you.

I lived in a frat (I did not attend NU) where folks (myself included) did all sorts of stupid acts and behavior that, if caught, would have caused a whole lot of legal problems. Unfortunately, such behavior goes with the age and the freedom that college affords. I am not dismissing the act XW as not warranting charges and penalties, but I think we should take a step back when casting judgment on XW. I could care less on whether he plays again. I just really hope that this event can have a positive impact on his future and others in the program to learn that some stupid act or behavior can have a serious, deleterious effect on your life and you need to act accordingly.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Any precedent for this? Imagine he is kicked off team, but now or after legal process is finished?

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2017/...ed-with-possession-of-a-controlled-substance/
Why post this? Are you a cat fan? It's none of our business and this should be a private matter. NU will handle this appropriately. It makes no sense to post this as it prejudice's all of us since we know NOTHING about the totality of the situation or the person. Cripes, you guys got him as an addict while others of you have subtly approved of recreational cocaine use. I'm not much for censoring but I think this entire post should be removed. Let NU handle it then post the outcome but to just throw up the charges and media reports does harm to justice. Sheesh!

I don't give a rat's behind how other schools would deal with this problem. There is no appropriate norm for discipline when it comes to college football. We all know that expediency typically rules. I do not want that at NU.

Based on the what I can surmise so far, a year off of the team would be best. Staying enrolled at NU as a student, and only a student, would also be best. I would love for him to get this straightened and have a shot at earning his degree. But I don't want XWash representing NU on the field right now.

Of course, the legal process take precedence first, and what happens there can alter what I feel what is appropriate for how NU deals with it.

Reactions: NURoseBowl
Why post this? Are you a cat fan? It's none of our business and this should be a private matter. NU will handle this appropriately. It makes no sense to post this as it prejudice's all of us since we know NOTHING about the totality of the situation or the person. Cripes, you guys got him as an addict while others of you have subtly approved of recreational cocaine use. I'm not much for censoring but I think this entire post should be removed. Let NU handle it then post the outcome but to just throw up the charges and media reports does harm to justice. Sheesh!
Turk--is this the right post to quote? It's just the link to short Daily N article. Not much there.

Where did he say addiction?

Where did he say addiction?
He says it earlier I don't know how to show it here but I'll copy and and paste it

Yea but some commented that Washington only had residue so this really isnt a big issue.
The reality is that the player must have a huge problem since he knew everything he came here would be on the line. An addiction it seems.

76 Today at 12:20 AM

On the one hand I agree with this. On the other hand, every case is different and I really value to concept of getting the best response for the individual. Hopefully Fitz has the personal relationship with XW that will give the best result.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
On the one hand I agree with this. On the other hand, every case is different and I really value to concept of getting the best response for the individual. Hopefully Fitz has the personal relationship with XW that will give the best result.
I'd hope that XWash's teammates hold him accountable as much as anybody, but that could get sticky.

He says it earlier I don't know how to show it here but I'll copy and and paste it

Yea but some commented that Washington only had residue so this really isnt a big issue.
The reality is that the player must have a huge problem since he knew everything he came here would be on the line. An addiction it seems.

It was never stated that he has an addiction. But if you want to drag things in the mud then nobody can stop you.

"Residue" only has legal implications. It says nothing about whether he has a problem or not.

People can often get into bad situations out of stupidity rather than addiction or other reasons. I once went out of my way to be a 'good Samaritan' to someone in trouble and set myself up for a felony conviction for dealing crack. A Navy serviceman on leave was involved in a car wreck in rural Garrett County, MD, and I offered to help him. One thing led to another and I ended up selling crack cocaine (as the driver) in the 'hood 70 miles from home in the next state. I don't do illegal drugs, I didn't drink back then, had never even seen crack, yet out of concern for others and stupidity, I allowed myself to become vulnerable to being arrested for selling crack cocaine. Stupid happens.

Last edited:
It was never stated that he has an addiction. But if you want to drag things in the mud then nobody can stop you.
Frankly this is all ridiculous. People are quick to speculate and want to end associations and the like and we really do not have the full information. While it looks like it may be an issue, we really do not know all the details. It will sort itself out and people with a lot more information than us will decide appropriate actions

What, no one here has ever run from the Po-po?

I don't believe that.

Unfortunately, if recreational use cocaine is as rampant with young athletes as assumed then such athletes will attend less strict schools to lessen the risk of longterm suspensions and removals. Not sure of the NCAA standards on performance enhancing drugs and suspensions to match but Id be curious to know what the penalties are for failures when a kid drops for a random drug test?
Knowing that may allow us to more accurately determine any coke or heroin suspensions.
And maybe Northwestern should have more tolerance in this world if coke is as recreational as some of you suggest. I simply don't know and may be a little too old school to understand the present day acceptable common usages of meth/coke/crack/heroine.

Meth bad - don't touch it
Coke - in moderation, but try not to get addicted and don't do too much
Crack - don't touch it
Heroine - don't touch it

How about that he fled on foot and got caught by a bunch of Fat middle aged cops??

Kidding

But seriously, I did a lot of dumb stuff at NU. We hold our student athletes at a higher standard than the general prison population, though

Link to study mentioned by Medill90...

https://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/ne...-use-interrupts-adolescent-brain-development/

Pretty damning initial findings for those who want pot legalized. This is the first study that indicates there is a causal link between teen use of pot and abnormal (inhibited) prefrontal cortex development.

I don't think you will find many advocating legalizing pot for all ages. I think the desire is to have it legalized for those over 21 in similar way to alcohol.

Link to study mentioned by Medill90...

https://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/ne...-use-interrupts-adolescent-brain-development/

Pretty damning initial findings for those who want pot legalized. This is the first study that indicates there is a causal link between teen use of pot and abnormal (inhibited) prefrontal cortex development.

Thanks for the link. Too late for us though as Alaska has already legalized pot based upon the prevailing belief that it is harmless. Of course, I recall when tobacco used to be believed to be harmless as well,

I don't wish ill to anyone who is using the stuff, but frankly I'd rather those using it go to the "less strict" schools if it means a lower chance of the Northwestern football program ending up in a negative spotlight.

The coach should have some say, but should not have a blank check.

"Residue" only has legal implications. It says nothing about whether he has a problem or not.

People can often get into bad situations out of stupidity rather than addiction or other reasons. I once went out of my way to be a 'good Samaritan' to someone in trouble and set myself up for a felony conviction for dealing crack. A Navy serviceman on leave was involved in a car wreck in rural Garrett County, MD, and I offered to help him. One thing led to another and I ended up selling crack cocaine (as the driver) in the 'hood 70 miles from home in the next state. I don't do illegal drugs, I didn't drink back then, had never even seen crack, yet out of concern for others and stupidity, I allowed myself to become vulnerable to being arrested for selling crack cocaine. Stupid happens.
That part of the post wasn't mine I just copy and pasted cuz I didn't know how to show a post.

So are we not allowed to reference news articles in these forums anymore? Didn't realize we started airbrushing over photos like the Soviets used to do when bad news came out.

I certainly view it appropriate to report news concerning the football team here, good or bad. No issue with letting the process run its course before judging innocence or guilt, but the program has certainly decided the incident is serious enough.

If you're trolling, congrats - you caught me. If not, then this topic is certainly more than appropriate to discuss without delving into discussions of addiction, etc. I agree with you that those discussions are off base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT