ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news on Xavier Washington

"Residue" only has legal implications. It says nothing about whether he has a problem or not.

People can often get into bad situations out of stupidity rather than addiction or other reasons. I once went out of my way to be a 'good Samaritan' to someone in trouble and set myself up for a felony conviction for dealing crack. A Navy serviceman on leave was involved in a car wreck in rural Garrett County, MD, and I offered to help him. One thing led to another and I ended up selling crack cocaine (as the driver) in the 'hood 70 miles from home in the next state. I don't do illegal drugs, I didn't drink back then, had never even seen crack, yet out of concern for others and stupidity, I allowed myself to become vulnerable to being arrested for selling crack cocaine. Stupid happens.
How on earth does that happen? When I was 15 I stole a bottle of Creme de Cacao out of peer pressure, and when I was 19 I let my brother convince me to steal two logo coffee mugs from the Flying J truck stop in Limon CO. But I never got talked into selling drugs.

For those of you seeking a suspension for more than the preseason, please let me know what should be the appropriate punishment for each of the following by a player so that I know your full thought process:

1. Player caught with joint
2. Player caught with less than felony amount of marajuana, but more than a joint
3. DUI
4. Player caught stealing less than $400 worth of property (no physical issues)
5. Player in a fight with student, no major physical harm to either but black eye to student (assume player was egged on)
6. Player caught with .5 gram of cocaine.
7. Does the fact that it was cocaine, rather than marajuana, influence your mind in terms of appropriate penalty?

My responses:

1. Suspend 1/2 games
2. Suspend 1/2 games
3. Suspend pre-season first time, kick off second time
4. Suspend 1/2 games
5. Suspend 1/2 games or no penalty...depends on all facts
6. Suspend 1/2 games
7. No.

Wow, I would not like to come before a number of you "judges" for being immature, and without harming another human being (or even property damage). I think he would be far better served by having to spend time in counseling and then being required to work with kids in the future eplaining why he made a bad choice. I believe many of your suggested penaties are grossly disproportionate to the offense [or, in this instance, defense].

I'm quite confident Northwestern has a policy he's out for a semester
NU is on a quarters system. If he is asked to leave for a quarter that would be lenient. How would that effect readmittance and award of a scholarship. Whichever NU decides to do I hope they support their student body in whole including XW.

You guys are really unimaginative when it comes to punishment. Here are some "out of the box: ideas:

- make him hold a 9V battery on his tongue for 10 minutes
- 20 consecutive hours of Celine Dion music (without sedation)
- pick up garbage in Lincoln Park
- defenestration
- write PJ Fleck's biography
- recite Moby Dick from memory
- Turkish prison
- guest appearance on "Naked and Afraid" with Rosie O'Donnell

Police aren't trained to shoot a moving target?

They may be, but it's a lot harder to hit someone that's moving, especially if they are zigging and zagging and the shooter is also moving, than hitting a stationary target with arms raised.

Then again, cops seem to be really good at shooting people in their backs.

Reactions: IGNORE2
You guys are really unimaginative when it comes to punishment. Here are some "out of the box: ideas:

- defenestration
- Turkish prison

Have Jim Harbaugh as a sleepover guest for one night?

- defenestration
- Turkish prison

The Vassar Special, I see.

ADVERTISEMENT