ADVERTISEMENT

Balanced scoring

Didn't see much out of Boo but he's young and it's early in the season

You make an excellent point. The balanced scoring makes it more difficult for opposing teams to scout and game plan. I think the key will be to ensure Spencer, Gains, and Turner (after gaining experience at pg last year) stay out of foul trouble and take control down the stretch with the ball in their hands when teams ratchet up the defensive pressure. Spencer needs to avoid “bad” fouls because he has good vision and finds open guys who can knock down shots when uncontested.

Reactions: drewjin
young 16
gaines 14
kopp 12
spencer 11
nance 9
beran 8

turner can score and i think boo will come along. could be fun to see if this distribution continues.

Turner and Gaines played twice as much 58 minutes combined to 29 minutes combined against Merrimack.

This and zone defense were the two biggest changes. I expected this. I wish Collins would have switched to zone in the second half against Merrimack bc their guards were getting by NU guards.

I think humiliation can be a strong teacher and I think the players and coaches learned from the first game. This does not erase the downward trend and lack of a true pg for three year because it’s one game but it does show maybe at their best this team can win a few big games.

Reactions: IGNORE
The fouls weren’t as well distributed and may prove to be the limited factor.

And no Greer last night.

The fouls weren’t as well distributed and may prove to be the limited factor.

And no Greer last night.

20 turnovers vs. 17 assists should be concerning.

NU outscored Providence by 7 at the free throw line.

Young, I though, got called for a couple fouls that weren't fouls.

Reactions: drewjin
Turner and Gaines played twice as much 58 minutes combined to 29 minutes combined against Merrimack.

This and zone defense were the two biggest changes. I expected this. I wish Collins would have switched to zone in the second half against Merrimack bc their guards were getting by NU guards.

I think humiliation can be a strong teacher and I think the players and coaches learned from the first game. This does not erase the downward trend and lack of a true pg for three year because it’s one game but it does show maybe at their best this team can win a few big games.

Continuing to recruit over our current PGs would be a good thing. Hopeful Ty Berry can come in and be an instant starter but also hoping to see Buie and Greer develop this season.

Continuing to recruit over our current PGs would be a good thing. Hopeful Ty Berry can come in and be an instant starter but also hoping to see Buie and Greer develop this season.
Boo kind of looks lost right now. Game is moving very fast for him. I think he'll improve over the next 10 games or so as he gets used to the pace and physicality of college Guards.

You make an excellent point. The balanced scoring makes it more difficult for opposing teams to scout and game plan. I think the key will be to ensure Spencer, Gains, and Turner (after gaining experience at pg last year) stay out of foul trouble and take control down the stretch with the ball in their hands when teams ratchet up the defensive pressure. Spencer needs to avoid “bad” fouls because he has good vision and finds open guys who can knock down shots when uncontested.
There are pros and cons to “balanced” scoring, which you kind of allude to above. Pro is that in some sense there’s no one guy for the opponent to focus on. Con is that when you get late in the game and things tighten up (and at least in the NBA refs call fewer touch fouls) we don’t necessarily have a single guy we can give the ball to who can create his own shot.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
Balanced rebounding too - five guys with seven or eight rebounds. I asked this question in the game thread (and have no idea how to answer without plenty of research), but when was the last time five Wildcats had seven or more rebounds in the same game?

There are pros and cons to “balanced” scoring, which you kind of allude to above. Pro is that in some sense there’s no one guy for the opponent to focus on. Con is that when you get late in the game and things tighten up (and at least in the NBA refs call fewer touch fouls) we don’t necessarily have a single guy we can give the ball to who can create his own shot.

I think this will be an issue for this team late in games. There is no Tre Demps/Crawford/Shurna. But it's still early so someone could emerge my money is on Spencer.

Balanced rebounding too - five guys with seven or eight rebounds. I asked this question in the game thread (and have no idea how to answer without plenty of research), but when was the last time five Wildcats had seven or more rebounds in the same game?
Well, I could only go back through the 2013 season because NU's boxscore system seems to be broken before that. In the 7 seasons going back to 2013, it's never happened. We had 4 guys with 7 or more against Rutgers on 1/12/17, and we had 2 with 7 and 3 with 6 against Michigan on 1/17/15, but we never had 5 guys with 7 in a game.

I think this will be an issue for this team late in games. There is no Tre Demps/Crawford/Shurna. But it's still early so someone could emerge my money is on Spencer.
As strange as it may seem for NU, it seemed to me that the go to guy down the stretch was Ryan Young. They actually were actively trying to feed him in the post down the stretch which was so great to see!

Reactions: hdhntr1 and DaCat
As strange as it may seem for NU, it seemed to me that the go to guy down the stretch was Ryan Young. They actually were actively trying to feed him in the post down the stretch which was so great to see!

To me it seemed it was Spencer. Not to necessarily shoot, but to make something happen.

I
Think it will be Beran who will eventually be that go to guy.

Well, I could only go back through the 2013 season because NU's boxscore system seems to be broken before that. In the 7 seasons going back to 2013, it's never happened. We had 4 guys with 7 or more against Rutgers on 1/12/17, and we had 2 with 7 and 3 with 6 against Michigan on 1/17/15, but we never had 5 guys with 7 in a game.

Thanks for checking - and also for confirming it's not a common occurrence. I'm glad I wasn't out of my mind.

Probably the last time somebody shot as poorly as Providence

Reactions: DaCat
Probably the last time somebody shot as poorly as Providence

I finally watched the game after I got back from my overseas trip, where Hulu wasn't available. The team overall looked pretty good on offense -- the shots were falling -- while Providence was ice cold, missing layups and easy shots. Some of it was due to our interior defense, as early on Nance, Beran, and Young had some big blocks that I think got into the heads of P. I was impressed how we refused to fold down the stretch when P. made a run.

good call here!

love seeing the Cats win big with a small Nance contribution offensively.

Geez, if you can get four of these guys with 10 ppg in conference, and any one of them scoring 15 on a particular night, it's a different story. ESPECIALLY if you can get that team 3pt% up to 33 or 34%.

Geez, if you can get four of these guys with 10 ppg in conference, and any one of them scoring 15 on a particular night, it's a different story. ESPECIALLY if you can get that team 3pt% up to 33 or 34%.

In terms of volume 3pt shooters, Nance, Kopp and Spencer are ok in terms of percentage. AJ and Bouie are each 1/11 and 1/12. Based on his history, AJ should turn that around. Let's hope Bouie can as well. Beran has shot it well.

Reactions: ricko654321
In terms of volume 3pt shooters, Nance, Kopp and Spencer are ok in terms of percentage. AJ and Bouie are each 1/11 and 1/12. Based on his history, AJ should turn that around. Let's hope Bouie can as well. Beran has shot it well.
Based on what I’ve seen thus far, Beran should have the green light to shoot it almost whenever.

Reactions: DaCat
Providence
young 16
gaines 14
kopp 12
spencer 11
nance 9
beran 8

Bradley
spencer 23
kopp 13
young 13
turner 9
nance 7

Pitt
spencer 18
buie16
kopp 8
jones/nance/beran - 5 ea

Boston College
kopp 20
buie 20
young 12
gaines 9
nance 8
spencer/turner - 6 ea

Providence
young 16
gaines 14
kopp 12
spencer 11
nance 9
beran 8

Bradley
spencer 23
kopp 13
young 13
turner 9
nance 7

Pitt
spencer 18
buie16
kopp 8
jones/nance/beran - 5 ea

Boston College
kopp 20
buie 20
young 12
gaines 9
nance 8
spencer/turner - 6 ea
They should try and get Koop 12-15 shots a game. Guys got a beautiful stroke, and if he gets decent looks he can be lethal. Love the balance I’ve seen so far, if only they could get Merrimack back..

Providence
young 16
gaines 14
kopp 12
spencer 11
nance 9
beran 8

Bradley
spencer 23
kopp 13
young 13
turner 9
nance 7

Pitt
spencer 18
buie16
kopp 8
jones/nance/beran - 5 ea

Boston College
kopp 20
buie 20
young 12
gaines 9
nance 8
spencer/turner - 6 ea

Purdue
nance 14
kopp 9
beran 7
buie 6

Providence
young 16
gaines 14
kopp 12
spencer 11
nance 9
beran 8

Bradley
spencer 23
kopp 13
young 13
turner 9
nance 7

Pitt
spencer 18
buie16
kopp 8
jones/nance/beran - 5 ea

Boston College
kopp 20
buie 20
young 12
gaines 9
nance 8
spencer/turner - 6 ea

Purdue
nance 14
kopp 9
beran 7
buie 6
While it seems dumb to say that if you score more points, you win.... it is striking from your list that in our wins, we had multiple guys over or near double digits, but in our losses, we only had one or maybe two guys contribute. This team needs 3-4 scorers each night.

While it seems dumb to say that if you score more points, you win.... it is striking from your list that in our wins, we had multiple guys over or near double digits, but in our losses, we only had one or maybe two guys contribute. This team needs 3-4 scorers each night.

Good observation. We don't have a Coble or Shurna yet who can carry the team. But the potential is there, would love to see Nance take charge and put up some career numbers against B1G competition.

Providence
young 16
gaines 14
kopp 12
spencer 11
nance 9
beran 8

Bradley
spencer 23
kopp 13
young 13
turner 9
nance 7

Pitt
spencer 18
buie16
kopp 8
jones/nance/beran - 5 ea

Boston College
kopp 20
buie 20
young 12
gaines 9
nance 8
spencer/turner - 6 ea

Purdue
nance 14
kopp 9
beran 7
buie 6

SIU-E
Young 25
Spencer 15
Gaines 13
Buie -5
3 players - 4

Providence
young 16
gaines 14
kopp 12
spencer 11
nance 9
beran 8

Bradley
spencer 23
kopp 13
young 13
turner 9
nance 7

Pitt
spencer 18
buie16
kopp 8
jones/nance/beran - 5 ea

Boston College
kopp 20
buie 20
young 12
gaines 9
nance 8
spencer/turner - 6 ea

Purdue
nance 14
kopp 9
beran 7
buie 6

SIU-E
Young 25
Spencer 15
Gaines 13
Buie -5
3 players - 4

Can Gaines please shoot 3’s the way he did last night for the remainder of the season?

I would also like to see Turner not shoot anymore from beyond the arc. He’s far better off moving toward the basket.

Can Gaines please shoot 3’s the way he did last night for the remainder of the season?

I would also like to see Turner not shoot anymore from beyond the arc. He’s far better off moving toward the basket.
Turner seems to have lost his confidence. Season long slump.

He had same issue last year as I recall, after coming in with a pretty good 3 pt percentage from BC.
He actually shot 33 percent from 3 last year, while this year is a miserable12 percent. We can only hope he snaps out of it because this team needs all the scoring it can get.

He actually shot 33 percent from 3 last year, while this year is a miserable12 percent. We can only hope he snaps out of it because this team needs all the scoring it can get.

not as bad as i thought but not the perimeter weapon i was hoping for based on his last year at BC

More on balanced scoring: four Cats are averaging double digits per game this year. If you had told me a couple of a months ago that we'd have four averaging 10 or more and that Gaines/Turner would not even be combined to average 10/game, I would've been shocked.

Nance: 11.9
Young: 11.0
Kopp: 10.8
Spencer: 10.2
Buie: 7.2
Gaines: 6.1
Beran: 4.6
Turner: 3.8

More on balanced scoring: four Cats are averaging double digits per game this year. If you had told me a couple of a months ago that we'd have four averaging 10 or more and that Gaines/Turner would not even be combined to average 10/game, I would've been shocked.

Equally important for the future is that only 1 player is averaging > 30 minutes/game: Nance at 31.
After him are:
Kopp 28
Young 27
Gaines 26
Spencer 26
Turner 20
Boo 18
Beran 16

Quite a break from past seasons where several players were in excess of 30 mpg. Guys shouldn't hit the wall in the last quarter of the season.

Reactions: lunker35

We have such a young and inexperienced team. It will be interesting to see if the team improves and gets stronger over the course of a rugged B1G slate--or gets overwhelmed. Probably a bit of both.

We have such a young and inexperienced team. It will be interesting to see if the team improves and gets stronger over the course of a rugged B1G slate--or gets overwhelmed. Probably a bit of both.

Probably a bit of both - I'd expect random games where somebody unexpected goes off, like a Buie 25+ game or something.

Once NU lost to Merrimack, I got more excited about this team in a strange way, because the pressure was just way off. Excited to see the youngsters grow this year. I just want to see Berry in purple because I get nervous after Bam and Lathon that We Can't Have Nice Things. Next year could be interesting if Berry gets here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT