ADVERTISEMENT

Beat Iowa!!

TheC

May 29, 2001
Man, I hate frickin' Iowa. Probably my least favorite school in the BIG (after Penn State who I don't really even recognize). A win on their court would be sooooo sweet!!

As of this writing, Iowa has the highest scoring offense in the BIG, but also give up the most points. (How's that for high-powered statistical analysis PWB??) Going up against our shut down defense will surely be interesting.

Their numbers are skewed by the tempo for sure. Not as good on offense, not as terrible on defense as just the pts allowed/score suggest.

I like our chances of slowing them down. Which, if we do, gives us a pretty good chance at winning.

Reactions: drewjin
Wouldn
Iowa plays tomorrow so they will be the team with only two days rest come Tuesday. The extra rest day should help NU.
Wouldn't it be only one? Like what we have between IA and Mich?

True. I was counting game day to game day. But one full day of rest.

As of this writing, Iowa has the highest scoring offense in the BIG
They beat Rutgers by ten at Rutgers, so they know how to play strong defensive teams.

Should be another great game. NU could be 10 point dogs, but could win and needs to. Huge game.

Reactions: DaCat and drewjin
Not sure 5 is high enough per the scale:

QtkftTP.jpg

Man, I hate frickin' Iowa. Probably my least favorite school in the BIG (after Penn State who I don't really even recognize). A win on their court would be sooooo sweet!!

As of this writing, Iowa has the highest scoring offense in the BIG, but also give up the most points. (How's that for high-powered statistical analysis PWB??) Going up against our shut down defense will surely be interesting.
Iowa is #1 on the shit list for me by far. Would be great to take them down.

Thanks for the shout out, TheC... even if you were kidding...

While I was reading this thread, the Maryland coach was on tv talking to the media after the Terps beat Nebraska 82-63.

"He played really well for us... He was +19"

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat
Iowa plays tomorrow so they will be the team with only two days rest come Tuesday. The extra rest day should help NU.
Iowa just beat Rutgers so cats 🐈 are in solo second! A win vs Iowa and we get a top 20 ranking! Likely start the week ranked 23rd!

Pretty easy to see how to win against them. If they score 75 plus we probably are toast. If we can hold them to 70 or less we can win.
It’s the first year I feel we can beat them in a game ending in the 80’s. I think you are right, more than 75 and our chances go down a lot. But we can put 80 on them.

• Wow
It’s the first year I feel we can beat them in a game ending in the 80’s. I think you are right, more than 75 and our chances go down a lot. But we can put 80 on them.
Just saw that Rutgers had 18 turnovers today. Iowa’s defense is not that good so I assume many of those were unforced. The Cats will need to stay around 10 which they’re capable of.

It was a pretty physical game there today, so hoping that we actually have the benefit of a little extra rest (despite the travel) and another day of preparation. We're going to have to play well - classic matchup of good offense vs. good defense. Hoping Roper is able to go, but not expecting it. I'd love to take one of the next two, but I think the 48-hour turnaround is going to be tough against Michigan even though Iowa is better than they are.

Let's keep the good going!

If this year is going to be special, I really think we need to win the next two.
A split would be enough to really help our tourney resume. If we win both we'd be near locks for NCAA and looking at Big Ten Tournament double byes.

Looks like I_wa won at home by getting 25 fouls called on Rutgers, shooting 83% from the line, and going 50% from three.

Hopefully the Cats game will have better refs because we know the defense has to be effective.

It was a pretty physical game there today, so hoping that we actually have the benefit of a little extra rest (despite the travel) and another day of preparation. We're going to have to play well - classic matchup of good offense vs. good defense. Hoping Roper is able to go, but not expecting it. I'd love to take one of the next two, but I think the 48-hour turnaround is going to be tough against Michigan even though Iowa is better than they are.

Let's keep the good going!
Most basketball players will tell you regarding rest:

1) Back-to-backs are brutal and you are not the same at all the next day
2) One day in between you are close to 100%. But 90% or 95% when the other side is 100% makes a difference.
3) Two days in between feels pretty much the same as a week off.

Tiredness, for Tuesday, only comes into the equation if there are lingering Covid issues.

Most basketball players will tell you regarding rest:

1) Back-to-backs are brutal and you are not the same at all the next day
2) One day in between you are close to 100%. But 90% or 95% when the other side is 100% makes a difference.
3) Two days in between feels pretty much the same as a week off.

Tiredness, for Tuesday, only comes into the equation if there are lingering Covid issues.
Right. Much of the talk right now is “6 games in 13 days.” But we actually have the advantage on rest for this one. Thursday is the real challenge on that front…which increases the importance of this game, just in case.

I was also glad Collins limited Nicholson on Saturday. 14 minutes for him is great. He should be good to go Tuesday. The big guys probably benefit a little more from extra time.

Right. Much of the talk right now is “6 games in 13 days.” But we actually have the advantage on rest for this one. Thursday is the real challenge on that front…which increases the importance of this game, just in case.

I was also glad Collins limited Nicholson on Saturday. 14 minutes for him is great. He should be good to go Tuesday. The big guys probably benefit a little more from extra time.
Nicholson and Beran have played, since the Covid thing, fewer minutes than in the previous few games. Suggest they might have been sick. Dunno

They look as strong as any team this year not named Purdue.
What is weird is how streaky BIG teams have looked this year. Ohio State looked like world beaters for a while and now they are near the bottom. Indiana, Illinois and Iowa all looked like they were in trouble, but are now bouncing back. I think this year it is not about who you play, but when you play them. We caught IU and Illinois at a good time. Looking like a bad time to get Iowa, though Michigan is clearly in a funk right now, so maybe we'll have luck with them. PSU is red hot right now, but maybe that will change by the time we see them.

PSU had just lost 65-45 at Rutgers but got red hot from 3 against Michigan and had 45 points before halftime. Crazy up-and-downs in college hoops this season!

We caught IU and Illinois at a good time.

This is a relevant point. If you want to find reasons to be pessimistic. Our wins:

1) MSU - no reason to bitch. Malik Hall out does not make a huge difference
2) IL - they were struggling big time
3) IU - same as IL and down two experienced starters
4) WI - they were struggling, had Wahl out for a long time. Struggle has continued
5) UNL - same as WI, down two relevant contributors
6) MN - they suck and top scorer was out

So that's 5 out of 6 games with asterisks if you want to see it that way.

On the other hand:

1) Periods of lack of confidence are expected for every team
2) Even if the schedule is harder through the end of the season, wins allow confidence. And that's crucial to be competitive. So that makes one optimistic about NU ball for a change
3) We won 3 in a row, even if 2 were against the 2 worst teams in the league, when we had a Covid outbreak

I could not care less how we got here. It got us to a good spot. Go Cats.

I hate the title of this thread. I appreciate the sentiment, of course, but those two words arranged into a phrase will always be associated for me with one Robert Strotz in a particular time and place. What can I say, it was a formative experience. Carry on.

Reactions: mountaindrew
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT