ADVERTISEMENT

Beat Iowa!!

I hate the title of this thread. I appreciate the sentiment, of course, but those two words arranged into a phrase will always be associated for me with one Robert Strotz in a particular time and place. What can I say, it was a formative experience. Carry on.
Destroy Iowa??!!

E
Of COURSE Iowans would eat Rhubarb in the middle of winter, out of season. They’re a disgrace to the upper Midwest.
You speak like a man who knows your way around a good Snicker Salad and any combination of a 7 layer salad that includes at least 80% mayo.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: EagerFan
Iowa's offensive firepower is a real challenge for NU. NU will need the best game plan of the season to beat the cowhawks. Would-be coaches here seem have an idea of what needs to be done. Comment freely for us, Wildcats.

As a less-coaching-knowledgeable fan, I just want them to learn to summon their peak performance level, and that seems to be what makes and breaks them. At their best, they can win a lot of conference games. It seems to me they're improving, too. They're a lot tougher now than they were against duh-OSU.

There was a moment at the end IU game when the team knew they were the better team, which was a new experience, but one that the team suddenly understood - they could compete. Yeah, they can, but will they?

Reactions: drewjin
Iowa's offensive firepower is a real challenge for NU. NU will need the best game plan of the season to beat the cowhawks. Would-be coaches here seem have an idea of what needs to be done. Comment freely for us, Wildcats.

As a less-coaching-knowledgeable fan, I just want them to learn to summon their peak performance level, and that seems to be what makes and breaks them. At their best, they can win a lot of conference games. It seems to me they're improving, too. They're a lot tougher now than they were against duh-OSU.

There was a moment at the end IU game when the team knew they were the better team, which was a new experience, but one that the team suddenly understood - they could compete. Yeah, they can, but will they?
Seems like a classic tempo/pace battle with the added caveat that Iowa also can’t just light it up from outside too much in the half court set.

Reactions: drewjin
Patrick McCaffery is back as of last game, didn't realize that. Will make it even more of a challenge tonight.

This is a relevant point. If you want to find reasons to be pessimistic. Our wins:

1) MSU - no reason to bitch. Malik Hall out does not make a huge difference
2) IL - they were struggling big time
3) IU - same as IL and down two experienced starters
4) WI - they were struggling, had Wahl out for a long time. Struggle has continued
5) UNL - same as WI, down two relevant contributors
6) MN - they suck and top scorer was out

So that's 5 out of 6 games with asterisks if you want to see it that way.

On the other hand:

1) Periods of lack of confidence are expected for every team
2) Even if the schedule is harder through the end of the season, wins allow confidence. And that's crucial to be competitive. So that makes one optimistic about NU ball for a change
3) We won 3 in a row, even if 2 were against the 2 worst teams in the league, when we had a Covid outbreak

I could not care less how we got here. It got us to a good spot. Go Cats.
I've often wondered if it was possible to quantify the emotional advantage of being in or close to first place, especially in college sports. Seems like a winning team would practice with more enthusiasm and play with more confidence and expect to win in the end. That has got to help if your playing a team that is wondering if or knowing that they will end up having a losing season.

I've often wondered if it was possible to quantify the emotional advantage of being in or close to first place, especially in college sports. Seems like a winning team would practice with more enthusiasm and play with more confidence and expect to win in the end. That has got to help if your playing a team that is wondering if or knowing that they will end up having a losing season.
I don't imagine it's provable, but I would buy this. What I have noticed over many years of following sports is that players seem to return faster from injury if they are on a competitive team. On the flipside, it seemed as if anyone who got a hangnail on the Bears this year was out for the season.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
so where does anyone get a really good pork tenderloin in the Chicago area....I am jonseing for one.

Drive over to Minneapolis and stop at J.D. Hoyt's.
But make sure you order the half portion instead of the full portion. The half portion is one, quite large, 2 inch thick, 10-12oz pork chop, expertly spiced with all the sides you could want.

The full portion is… two large pork chops. It’s literally like two large dinners.

And get the Au Gratin potatoes!

Reactions: FeralFelidae
You and I can never be friends.
Listen, I like to eat a lot and while I can’t East as much as I used to I can still eat a lot.

The full portion at Hoyts is like a massively insane amount of food. And you’re definitely going to have preceded it with some like relish tray and garlic break and things. So.

Listen, I like to eat a lot and while I can’t East as much as I used to I can still eat a lot.

The full portion at Hoyts is like a massively insane amount of food. And you’re definitely going to have preceded it with some like relish tray and garlic break and things. So.
So take the rest home

So take the rest home
You’d say that, BUT, the half order is $25 while the full order is $45, so you’re paying nearly double for the second pork chop (the sides are the same), so the math doesn’t really work out with pork chop not reheating well. You can’t even order the full to split so you can eat more apps since ordering two halves is basically the same price and you get extra cheese bread with each order, which is critical.

This is not the promise of America! The terrorists win

• Wow
You’d say that, BUT, the half order is $25 while the full order is $45, so you’re paying nearly double for the second pork chop (the sides are the same), so the math doesn’t really work out with pork chop not reheating well. You can’t even order the full to split so you can eat more apps since ordering two halves is basically the same price and you get extra cheese bread with each order, which is critical.
This just seems like an argument for ordering two half-orders.

If you need to reheat, just boil your own oil.

This is not the promise of America! The terrorists win
The promise of America isn’t reheated pork.

The promise of America is I’ll buy a gigantic pork chop or steak of my own and eat that the next night. Fresh and juicy,

ADVERTISEMENT