ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Bryant - QB Lyons Township

Windy City Cat Fan

May 29, 2001
3 star QB from Lyons township had verballed to Wisconsin, after tweeting that he received an offer from Georgia, Wisconsin dropped him - seems like they are applying the Fitz rule. There is speculation too that Wisconsin was looking for a reason to drop him. Rivals shows NU as having had interest - don't think they'd need a second QB though at this point.

3 star QB from Lyons township had verballed to Wisconsin, after tweeting that he received an offer from Georgia, Wisconsin dropped him - seems like they are applying the Fitz rule. There is speculation too that Wisconsin was looking for a reason to drop him. Rivals shows NU as having had interest - don't think they'd need a second QB though at this point.

No, not applying the Fitz rule. The kid was told he no longer had a valid offer after he "tweeting" he received an offer from Georgia. He didn't express any interest and didn't have a visit scheduled. Wisky coincidentally just a QB verbal last week ( a second QB at the time). The kid also said they had been very little contact from the Wisky staff since he committed. Draw your own conclusion here.

I believe the Fitz rule as you refer to it is the kid needs to visit. Coaches call our verbal commits all the time. I think the Fitz rule makes sense for a school like NU. If it expands to pulling offers when a committ has expressed no interest then I'll change my opinion.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
We debated this on the Rock when this kid and Whittaker verballed. IMO Whittaker is a better prospect, some disagreed, but no way you take 2 QB's unless it is a Yates type that can project to another position. Even then, I would refrain with 18-19 schollies this year.

If in fact the staff tells QB recruits that they only will take 1 QB in a class, then I think they are obligated to honor that pledge to the first guy who commits.

No, not applying the Fitz rule. The kid was told he no longer had a valid offer after he "tweeting" he received an offer from Georgia. He didn't express any interest and didn't have a visit scheduled. Wisky coincidentally just a QB verbal last week ( a second QB at the time). The kid also said they had been very little contact from the Wisky staff since he committed. Draw your own conclusion here.

I believe the Fitz rule as you refer to it is the kid needs to visit. Coaches call our verbal commits all the time. I think the Fitz rule makes sense for a school like NU. If it expands to pulling offers when a committ has expressed no interest then I'll change my opinion.
So more like he had been Harbaughed

Thanks for posting. Very interesting to read his side of the story.

Wonder if he will jump on the UGA offer?
If he is truly the #23 pro style QB and was previously considered solid for Wisconsin, he may get more offers.

Interesting that he admits he shouldn't have been communicating with other coaches. I wouldn't blame him considering they accepted another QB in his class. Lots of subtle and the not so subtle messaging here.

Kid should land on his feet.

If he is truly the #23 pro style QB and was previously considered solid for Wisconsin, he may get more offers.

Interesting that he admits he shouldn't have been communicating with other coaches. I wouldn't blame him considering they accepted another QB in his class. Lots of subtle and the not so subtle messaging here.

Kid should land on his feet.

According to Rivals, UGA has 276 offers outstanding, so receiving one ain't that high a bar......;)

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Translation from Wisconsonese, you must be committed to us based on a verbal, you can't even talk to other colleges, but we will continue to recruit for your position, and if we get a better player, we will find a way to Harbaugh you. Catch 22 for recruits.

Excellent point. I'm curious to see iif Georgia would even accept a commitment from Bryant after his so-called "offer". SEC recruiting is the worst.

UGA have offered 19 QBs so far. He is the 8th ranked prospect remaining uncommitted, as UGA haven't received a QB commit as yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT