ADVERTISEMENT

Benefit of Fitz/Packer Rumors

SciCat

Mar 7, 2005
It improves the Fitz-NU brand. What high school recruit wouldn’t be intrigued about playing for a coach the NFL wants?

It improves the Fitz-NU brand. What high school recruit wouldn’t be intrigued about playing for a coach the NFL wants?
I don't see any downside either.

The more people are talking about Fitz and the program, the better.

Reactions: mickbula

Only potential downside is a distraction prior to kickoff tomorrow. Other than that, plenty of upside.

Downside? Flirting with other jobs gives fodder for negative recruiting. I don't get why Fitz doesn't just say "I'm not interested in leaving NU after this season" and put the rumors to bed.

Downside? Flirting with other jobs gives fodder for negative recruiting. I don't get why Fitz doesn't just say "I'm not interested in leaving NU after this season" and put the rumors to bed.

There’s minimal short term negative impact on recruiting, now that signing day has passed.

He did.

It always seems like the coaches that deny rumors quickly are the ones more likely to leave. The original “rumor” weeks ago didn’t come from any direct source, so there was really no reason for Fitz to say anything, lest he look like he’s actually acknowledging there is something to discuss. We all know that if he came out with some “statement” weeks ago, there would have been WAY more stories generated analyzing every word of said statement.

Today’s rumor is definitely credible but it is a bad time on a Sunday, day before the bowl game. Probably best to say absolutely nothing because again, even if he denies it he will be asked about it in bowl interviews.

Extended and repeated flirting with other jobs gives fodder for negative recruiting. This isn’t that. What about our 2019 and 2020 classes gives you a sense that our recruiting is being negatively impacted?

Reactions: WildBillcat
I think it's more that other people are talking about grabbing Fitz, especially NFL teams. That's the direction I'm talking about; Fitz isn't sending any signals to anybody that he wants to leave, quite the opposite.

Again, that's where I don't see any downside; it's all good publicity to have a coach that's wanted by NFL teams.

Our recruits are clearly not worried about him going anywhere, so I don't see why that's a concern.

Fitz leveraged the Michigan offer into he lakefront facility and more $ for assistant coaches. I trust him to play this well, too.

Maybe this will accelerate the timetable for Ryan Field renovation and add more $ to the upgrades.

This is clearly a plot by deep state Utahans. They're planting rumors in the fake news media in order to influence the elect...er...game.

Pat Fitzgerald is taking the Packers job. Also, the Earth is flat and vaccines are just vials filled with contrail vapors that give gay frogs autism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT