ADVERTISEMENT

Beran

Man he seemed so lonely though he seemed to be handling it fine. This COVID pandemic is really awful on everyone.

Surprised not to see any shooting of the basketball during that long & not very interesting day.

The sky is the limit for Robbie and I’m gonna assume he just couldn’t film himself shooting the basketball.

Beran for me. He wore down at the end of the year but I think he could be an NBA player with the right development

Reactions: willycat
I'm going with Boo, but writing it in pencil. Nice to say that we've got a number of guys who could conceivably step up and have big years.
I think Boo is like most high volume shot guys, where unless he takes it to a whole other universe (a-la Carson Edwards at Purdue), their inefficiency will lower their ceiling a bit. I think Beran is probably the highest ceiling guy on the roster, and he could be really good if he can put it all together as he matures.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
Hopefully we see basketball and wrestling this winter at NU! I dread watching highlights of Ohio State vs Michigan in 1965 on Big Ten Network! OMG!

Reactions: EagerFan
But will we see basketball at all? THAT, unfortunately, remains a question. o_O

I think Boo is like most high volume shot guys, where unless he takes it to a whole other universe (a-la Carson Edwards at Purdue), their inefficiency will lower their ceiling a bit. I think Beran is probably the highest ceiling guy on the roster, and he could be really good if he can put it all together as he matures.

Tre Demps baby! I'm fine with Demps 2.0 on the team.

Reactions: drewjin
He was the best player on the court this year. Hard to see that changing in one offseason.

Agreed that Kopp will be our best player again. Nance showed some tantalizing glimpses of what he could do, and was our leading scorer in a few games while playing more consistently. If he takes his game up another notch - more aggressive, more consistent - then he could leapfrog Kopp. Looking forward to Beran also taking a big leap from his freshman to sophomore seasons.

And. yet, Kopp will be our best player. Not most improved, but best player.

I think Buie has the most upside (only player on our roster who can catch fire and truly take over a game, i.e., hit shots from anywhere and or get fouled) but hard to see anyone but Kopp becoming a consistent 18ppg type of scorer. And if Kopp makes that leap, we are in GREAT shape.

Agreed that Kopp will be our best player again. Nance showed some tantalizing glimpses of what he could do, and was our leading scorer in a few games while playing more consistently. If he takes his game up another notch - more aggressive, more consistent - then he could leapfrog Kopp. Looking forward to Beran also taking a big leap from his freshman to sophomore seasons.

The way that the coaches use Nance he may be the most important player even if he comes off of the bench. When Nance plays hard, he has the potential to be really good (live up to his recruiting hype).

Reactions: DaCat and NUThump
Nance lacks too many things. None of which is physical.

Nance turned the corner the final group of games last season, I believe. If you look at the last 8 games, Nance led us in scoring 4x (Kopp only 2x) and in rebounding 3x. I would like to see an aggregate +/- for those 8 games, but my initial box score searches didn’t have that stat. I will try looking again tonight.

Reactions: DaCat
Nance turned the corner the final group of games last season, I believe. If you look at the last 8 games, Nance led us in scoring 4x (Kopp only 2x) and in rebounding 3x. I would like to see an aggregate +/- for those 8 games, but my initial box score searches didn’t have that stat. I will try looking again tonight.
I don't have data for the B1G tourney game, but you are correct that Nance did lead us in +/- for the last 8 regular season games, though he only played 24 minutes per game.

The numbers:
Nance -16, 24 mpg
Greer -23, 6 mpg
Young -29, 23 mpg
Kopp -47, 33 mpg
Jones -47, 12 mpg
Spencer -55, 30 mpg
Buie -56, 30 mpg
Turner -72, 24 mpg
Beran -73, 20 mpg

I don't have data for the B1G tourney game, but you are correct that Nance did lead us in +/- for the last 8 regular season games, though he only played 24 minutes per game.

The numbers:
Nance -16, 24 mpg
Greer -23, 6 mpg
Young -29, 23 mpg
Kopp -47, 33 mpg
Jones -47, 12 mpg
Spencer -55, 30 mpg
Buie -56, 30 mpg
Turner -72, 24 mpg
Beran -73, 20 mpg

Talk about being the tallest midget.

Reactions: go cats go
Talk about being the tallest midget.
I mean, our record was 2-6 in those games including 4 blowout losses, so it's not real surprising. The data looked at in a different way though, shows a bit better story. If you weight the +/- by minutes played, you get a bit of a different story.

Nance -16, expected -49, +33 vs expectation
Kopp -47, exp. -68, +21 vs exp.
Young -29, exp. -48, +19 vs exp.
Spencer -55, exp. -62, +7 vs exp.
Buie -56, exp. -61, +5 vs exp.
Greer -23, exp. -8, -15 vs exp.
Jones -47, exp. -24, -23 vs exp.
Turner -72, exp. -49, -23 vs exp.
Beran -73, exp. -41, -32 vs exp.

After Beran was hurt he really just couldn't keep up his level of play from what he had been showing earlier in the season.

Reactions: Inovacat
I mean, our record was 2-6 in those games including 4 blowout losses, so it's not real surprising. The data looked at in a different way though, shows a bit better story. If you weight the +/- by minutes played, you get a bit of a different story.

Nance -16, expected -49, +33 vs expectation
Kopp -47, exp. -68, +21 vs exp.
Young -29, exp. -48, +19 vs exp.
Spencer -55, exp. -62, +7 vs exp.
Buie -56, exp. -61, +5 vs exp.
Greer -23, exp. -8, -15 vs exp.
Jones -47, exp. -24, -23 vs exp.
Turner -72, exp. -49, -23 vs exp.
Beran -73, exp. -41, -32 vs exp.

After Beran was hurt he really just couldn't keep up his level of play from what he had been showing earlier in the season.
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. You saved me a ton of search time tonight!

So (assuming basketball is played at all), would it be a good thing if Ty Berry is the best player on the team this year? Because I'd like to give him my vote. Beran, Kopp, Boo, Nance, those guys are all good choices too. I just want Berry to be even better than advertised and ready to play in the B10. No pressure.

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
So (assuming basketball is played at all), would it be a good thing if Ty Berry is the best player on the team this year? Because I'd like to give him my vote. Beran, Kopp, Boo, Nance, those guys are all good choices too. I just want Berry to be even better than advertised and ready to play in the B10. No pressure.

Why not? It would mean another weapon. I think Audige has a chance to make a real impact this season, too. And Young had a better first year than Kopp, Nance, or Beran. Maybe even better than Boo, given Young led the team in FG% and rebounding while adding 9ppg and shooting close to 70% from the FT line. Gaines could be our defensive player of the year, but likely not a consistent enough scorer to be considered the best player on the team. Greer and Nicholson are probably the only 2 scholarship players with little chance of meaningfully leading the squad on the court this year.

Barring injuries, I remain optimistic about the team this year.

Why not? It would mean another weapon. I think Audige has a chance to make a real impact this season, too. And Young had a better first year than Kopp, Nance, or Beran. Maybe even better than Boo, given Young led the team in FG% and rebounding while adding 9ppg and shooting close to 70% from the FT line. Gaines could be our defensive player of the year, but likely not a consistent enough scorer to be considered the best player on the team. Greer and Nicholson are probably the only 2 scholarship players with little chance of meaningfully leading the squad on the court this year.

I really am optimistic about this year too. Despite a lot of losses last year, you could tell we were close as we were in a lot of games. Just couldn't close most of them out. Young teams typically learn from that.

I loved the way Nance came on late last year, and Kopp established himself as a consistent scorer. You'd have to think Beran and Boo will show improvement with another offseason and find a little more consistency to their game. Both showed flashes last year, but also had some down games (mostly Boo) or disappeared for long periods of time (Beran). I don't know how high of a ceiling Young has, but you gotta think we have another solid year coming from him as he is a lot more consistent player than most of the others mentioned above. Noticing a theme here with the need for consistency? Typically for a team with a bunch of young guys.

Having Gaines back and Audige on the team will be a huge boost to our defense if nothing else. We all know that Gaines is a very good defender, and all indications are that Audige is a fantastic defender too.

There are a lot of pieces on this team and for once we have great depth. Another step up for Kopp and Nance making that big leap we have been waiting for would be absolutely huge. We were not that far away last year- can't wait for this season (hopefully it is played).

I really am optimistic about this year too. Despite a lot of losses last year, you could tell we were close as we were in a lot of games. Just couldn't close most of them out. Young teams typically learn from that.

I loved the way Nance came on late last year, and Kopp established himself as a consistent scorer. You'd have to think Beran and Boo will show improvement with another offseason and find a little more consistency to their game. Both showed flashes last year, but also had some down games (mostly Boo) or disappeared for long periods of time (Beran). I don't know how high of a ceiling Young has, but you gotta think we have another solid year coming from him as he is a lot more consistent player than most of the others mentioned above. Noticing a theme here with the need for consistency? Typically for a team with a bunch of young guys.

Having Gaines back and Audige on the team will be a huge boost to our defense if nothing else. We all know that Gaines is a very good defender, and all indications are that Audige is a fantastic defender too.

There are a lot of pieces on this team and for once we have great depth. Another step up for Kopp and Nance making that big leap we have been waiting for would be absolutely huge. We were not that far away last year- can't wait for this season (hopefully it is played).

It's interesting. I'm not as bullish as you are on the team yet because it seems like we've traded problems compared to early CCC teams, the Carmody era and before. Previously, we could usually get one, maybe a couple All-Conference level players and didn't have any depth. Now we have a ton of depth and potential, but we don't have that one or two All-Conference level players and I'd argue that we need somebody to step into that light for the team to make progress. There's potential for several guys to take that leap, but right now that seems to be what we're lacking. Will be interesting to see if and who that might be.

Reactions: Sec.112
It's interesting. I'm not as bullish as you are on the team yet because it seems like we've traded problems compared to early CCC teams, the Carmody era and before. Previously, we could usually get one, maybe a couple All-Conference level players and didn't have any depth. Now we have a ton of depth and potential, but we don't have that one or two All-Conference level players and I'd argue that we need somebody to step into that light for the team to make progress. There's potential for several guys to take that leap, but right now that seems to be what we're lacking. Will be interesting to see if and who that might be.

Totally fair comment- mine is certainly a bit pie in the sky with everything coming together. I will say though that if Nance plays like he did at the end of last year for an entire season, he will be an All Conference type player. He had doubled digits in points in four of the last six games while averaging about 7 rebounds and 2 blocks per game (while averaging about 25 minutes per game). If he can keep that consistency while getting about 30 minutes per game, I think you'll have an All Conference player. Kopp also has potential to be an All Conference guy too. Not sure if any others do at this point though.

Reactions: DaCat
Totally fair comment- mine is certainly a bit pie in the sky with everything coming together. I will say though that if Nance plays like he did at the end of last year for an entire season, he will be an All Conference type player. He had doubled digits in points in four of the last six games while averaging about 7 rebounds and 2 blocks per game (while averaging about 25 minutes per game). If he can keep that consistency while getting about 30 minutes per game, I think you'll have an All Conference player. Kopp also has potential to be an All Conference guy too. Not sure if any others do at this point though.

Agree with that. One of those guys or maybe Beran need to become a "DUDE". Heck, I know everyone looks at Young as having a low ceiling, but even he could be that guy. It just has to be somebody.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP

Already, preemptively, making excuses? Injuries happen to every team, and it has been a long time since we were, on paper, this deep.

I am confident we were not in the top 1/2 of the teams most afflicted with injuries last season in the B1G.

Already, preemptively, making excuses? Injuries happen to every team, and it has been a long time since we were, on paper, this deep.

I am confident we were not in the top 1/2 of the teams most afflicted with injuries last season in the B1G.

But if you've been following the Cats for any length of time you will know that many a season has been derailed by injuries to key players.

Not trying to make excuses, but with 10 on scholarship, injuries will impact NU more than a school with 13. So, if injuries occur, I'll be less optimistic. But the quality of the roster might make us less susceptible to 1 or 2 injuries. Time will tell.

Regardless, I'm excited to see how the season plays out, if it plays out.

Nance is a much better player when he uses his talent and size to be aggressive towards the rim. He seemed to be focused on that in the stretch of games you are talking about at the end of the season. Let’s hope he learned from that and continues it this next season, if there is one.

Nance is a much better player when he uses his talent and size to be aggressive towards the rim. He seemed to be focused on that in the stretch of games you are talking about at the end of the season. Let’s hope he learned from that and continues it this next season, if there is one.
Hard to imagine there will be, sadly. :(

There will be, just as there will be a football season. One of my partners, a PSU football mom, got a message yesterday from James Franklin, and they are all-systems go. They believe that the season will consist of 10 BIG games, beginning in the fourth week in September. (Her stepson is a defensive tackle. They are obviously not blood relatives - she's about 5'2" 105.)

There will be, just as there will be a football season. One of my partners, a PSU football mom, got a message yesterday from James Franklin, and they are all-systems go. They believe that the season will consist of 10 BIG games, beginning in the fourth week in September. (Her stepson is a defensive tackle. They are obviously not blood relatives - she's about 5'2" 105.)
Hope you're right, Chores. But if you're trying to get someone to believe something, quoting James Franklin is probably not Plan A. ;)

They will do everything possible to start a season, the real question is going to be how long will it last.

Problem for NU is while the roster keeps getting better that may not actually result in many more wins. The Big 10 is going to be loaded if there is a season especially with several of the guys who were expected to leave early announcing returns. Last I saw there were 4-5 Big 10 teams in the top 11 of the early preseason rankings.

That’s always an issue but if or when basketball returns we will be much better. The season will depend on ball handling. If berry or Boo emerge as a reliable ball handler then we will be tough, middle of the pack big ten team. I also think that Beran will be a total beast this upcoming season. Reminds me of Sam Dekker

Reactions: Inovacat
ADVERTISEMENT