ADVERTISEMENT

Beran

That’s always an issue but if or when basketball returns we will be much better. The season will depend on ball handling. If berry or Boo emerge as a reliable ball handler then we will be tough, middle of the pack big ten team. I also think that Beran will be a total beast this upcoming season. Reminds me of Sam Dekker

If he adds strength. He’s got talent. Last year his issue was he looked about as strong as a wet noodle

That’s always an issue but if or when basketball returns we will be much better. The season will depend on ball handling. If berry or Boo emerge as a reliable ball handler then we will be tough, middle of the pack big ten team. I also think that Beran will be a total beast this upcoming season. Reminds me of Sam Dekker
If you're anywhere near right about this, we're in business.

Buie will start the season as the starter. Whether he remains that way will depend on whether he can play in control within the system.

I love that Nance's stats back up what I saw on the Court. One fun part of sports is when a player appears to start to understand how hard it is to be good. I remember one sequence when the light just seemed to go for Nance that hey, I get it, talent is not enough, I have to play really hard because everyone here has talent. I hope he brings this from day one.

The thing about NU is that if the guards can shoot, it could be fun. With the four big men all being able to score, it should leave plenty of open jump shots on the perimeter.

Buie will start the season as the starter. Whether he remains that way will depend on whether he can play in control within the system.

I love that Nance's stats back up what I saw on the Court. One fun part of sports is when a player appears to start to understand how hard it is to be good. I remember one sequence when the light just seemed to go for Nance that hey, I get it, talent is not enough, I have to play really hard because everyone here has talent. I hope he brings this from day one.

The thing about NU is that if the guards can shoot, it could be fun. With the four big men all being able to score, it should leave plenty of open jump shots on the perimeter.
It wasn’t so much him not playing hard, it was more where his talent fit in with/against other talented players. He had a lot to catch up on coming in his freshman year.

I think the only secure starting spot is Miller. Young, Beran, and Nance will fill 2 more starting spots, but which one comes off the bench is still open in my mind. I think Gaines comes off the bench unless a defensive stopper is favored over scoring. So Buie, Berry, and Audige would fill the two guard starting positions. Again, the starters are open or may be matchup dependent. Greer and Nicholson are role players this season.

My current guess for starters beginning the season is Buie, Berry, Kopp, Nance, and Young.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I love that Nance's stats back up what I saw on the Court. One fun part of sports is when a player appears to start to understand how hard it is to be good.

Am I the only one hoping there won’t be a season? There’s no way the NCAA could count it against player eligibility, and we’d be able to absorb it roster-wise, even without a special waiver of scholarship limits. This way, guys like Nance and Beran and Kopp, who were never leaving early, get an extra year to develop. Truth be told, I’d rather our guys stay healthy and practice for a year than try to make this cluster**** of a season worth the effort. This is shaping up to be the Rosemont year on steroids.

Am I the only one hoping there won’t be a season? There’s no way the NCAA could count it against player eligibility, and we’d be able to absorb it roster-wise, even without a special waiver of scholarship limits. This way, guys like Nance and Beran and Kopp, who were never leaving early, get an extra year to develop. Truth be told, I’d rather our guys stay healthy and practice for a year than try to make this cluster**** of a season worth the effort. This is shaping up to be the Rosemont year on steroids.

That would be a bigger mess. Scholarship limits get all kinds of wonky if there is no season. The revenue loss puts all sports in jeopardy.

Plus, I need something to watch.

Starters: Buie, Gaines, Kopp, Nance, Young

Most minutes: Kopp, Nance, Beran, Buie, Gaines

Leading scorers: Kopp, Nance, Buie, Beran, Young

I don't really disagree, except with respect to Young, in terms of minutes and scoring. Young is really the only guy who can guard the opponent's center, with the the possible exception of Nicholson, and he is a proven BIG scorer and rebounder. Also, we're really going to miss Spencer, but believe the freshman will get plenty of minutes spelling Buie

Where’s the love for Audige?

Young, Nance, Kopp, Audige and Buie start to open the season. Gaines, Beran and Berry get plenty of minutes. All 8 will start at one time or another.

Hoping Nicholson can take a shirt, with Nance providing backup minutes in the middle behind Young.

Look for some 3 guard lineups with Buie, Berry and either Audige or Gaines. Or Audige and Gaines with either Buie or Berry.
GOUNUII

I don't really disagree, except with respect to Young, in terms of minutes and scoring. Young is really the only guy who can guard the opponent's center, with the the possible exception of Nicholson, and he is a proven BIG scorer and rebounder. Also, we're really going to miss Spencer, but believe the freshman will get plenty of minutes spelling Buie

I agree that Young showed he could be very productive. I believe he will be a top 5 scorer on the team, but don't know if he will get as high as #2 or #3.

Young, Nance, Kopp, Audige and Buie start to open the season. Gaines, Beran and Berry get plenty of minutes. All 8 will start at one time or another.

Hoping Nicholson can take a shirt, with Nance providing backup minutes in the middle behind Young.

Look for some 3 guard lineups with Buie, Berry and either Audige or Gaines. Or Audige and Gaines with either Buie or Berry.
GOUNUII

I actually had Audige in the top 5 for minutes played but ended up going with Gaines, who is more proven in the B1G and also was (is?) a team captain. Berry should also be getting more minutes as the season progresses.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

GOUNUII
I'd go with Beran over Audige.

GOUNUII
I agree with all of this except the suggestion that Nance can provide back-up minutes at center. In my view, he's just not a back-to-the-basket kind of player either on offense or defense. Also, I'd be surprised if Nicholson took a shirt. However, you played basketball in the modern era and when I suited up Naismith had just passed away.

GOUNUII

No redshirt for Nicholson, we'll need and use him this season. Don't sleep on Berry, either. We'll want 2+ ballhandlers on the court most of the time. I've got my 2-deep as:

1) Buie with Greer backing up (Can slide Berry over here)
2) Berry with Audige backing up (Gaines can provide support here)
3) Kopp with Gaines backing up (Could have Beran help here to get mismatches)
4) Nance with Beran backing up
5) Young with Nicholson backing up

Scoring (last season): Kopp (13.1ppg), Buie (10.3ppg), Berry, Nance (8.5ppg), Young (9.0ppg) Beran (5.0ppg)
Minutes : Kopp, Nance, Young, Buie, Berry

I agree with all of this except the suggestion that Nance can provide back-up minutes at center. In my view, he's just not a back-to-the-basket kind of player either on offense or defense. Also, I'd be surprised if Nicholson took a shirt. However, you played basketball in the modern era and when I suited up Naismith had just passed away.

Seems like Nicholson will be needed since jones decided to transfer

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
Nance played center for 10% of conference minutes last year, Young played 63% of minutes, so I don't think there's any way Nicholson takes a shirt this season. Best case scenario is Young getting to 75% of minutes but I just don't see Nance taking 25% of total minutes to play center given his build.

No way I’m redshirting anybody in these transfer portal days. Especially with only 11 scholarship players. Everybody plays.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
This year's team might have the most talent in NU's history. Sad thing is, that the BIG might be the toughest conference in its history. We'd be a lock for the dance for sure if we were in just about any other conference! Acc included! I hope CCC can get us over the hump again- maybe finish around the middle and sneak back into the ncaa tourney

This year's team might have the most talent in NU's history. Sad thing is, that the BIG might be the toughest conference in its history. We'd be a lock for the dance for sure if we were in just about any other conference! Acc included! I hope CCC can get us over the hump again- maybe finish around the middle and sneak back into the ncaa tourney

Berry and Nicholson will be All-Americans this year!

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
If we play conference only, what record over 20 games would be needed to go dancing? Is 8-12 or 9-11 enough?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT