ADVERTISEMENT

Best athletes since '95 season

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
We haven't had too many jaw-dropping athletes since the resurrection, yet have found ways to win with toughness, smarts, discipline, heart, teamwork, character, resilience. But given the conversation about Newsome and Slater, made me think about who the best athletes I've seen at NU since '95 team

1. Napo
2. Newsome
3. Castillo
4. Slater--admit that it's hard to tell at OL sometimes, but this seems right
5. Bates

Honorable mention: Wooton, Howard, McManis, AWalk, Brandon Joseph (likely to rise), Simmons, Ebert, Venric Mark, Essex, Dunsmore, Kafka, Thornton, Matt Harris...

We haven't had too many jaw-dropping athletes since the resurrection, yet have found ways to win with toughness, smarts, discipline, heart, teamwork, character, resilience. But given the conversation about Newsome and Slater, made me think about who the best athletes I've seen at NU since '95 team

1. Napo
2. Newsome
3. Castillo
5. Bates

Honorable mention: Wooton, Howard, McManis, AWalk, Brandon Joseph (likely to rise), Simmons, Ebert, Venric Mark, Essex, Dunsmore, Kafka, Thornton, Matt Harris...
Where do JJTBC and Terrel Sutton fit? How about Kolter? Joseph ? There are a few more

I like cornerbacks.

McManis
Newsome
Harris
VanHoose
Mabin

JJTBC could do everything.

Kafka
Colter

Napoleon of course
Walker of course
Roach was awesome.
Hall was awesome.

Traveon Henry was built like a linebacker but moved like a safety
Ibraheim Campbell was great from the jump

Wootton and Howard were different things entirely

Carr is the only receiver in two decades to consistently get open, so he must be good
We had it great with Brewer and Peterman

Bo Cisek and Stefan Demos

Reactions: mmca
I like cornerbacks.

McManis
Newsome
Harris
VanHoose
Mabin

JJTBC could do everything.

Kafka
Colter

Napoleon of course
Walker of course
Roach was awesome.
Hall was awesome.

Traveon Henry was built like a linebacker but moved like a safety
Ibraheim Campbell was great from the jump

Wootton and Howard were different things entirely

Carr is the only receiver in two decades to consistently get open, so he must be good
We had it great with Brewer and Peterman

Bo Cisek and Stefan Demos

Newsome by a mile at DB. Jimmy Hall would be 2nd on my DB list. Dude was a great athlete that never fully translated it to the field. Hudaifa and Campbell get special mention consideration.

Harris among the LBs stands out.

Castillo and Howard too as jumbo athletes. The latter a 1st round beast but for his injuries. Rice gets HM because he is on all of my all time best ever lists. He and Fitz.

No WRs make the cut other than Bates and Musso. Musso very underrated for his athleticism. Charles Woodson could not stop him in our 1996 win over UM.

Slater belongs in the same jumbo class as Castillo and Howard. An elite athlete.

I like Colter and Kafka at QB. But Persa easily belongs. My God. A healthy Dan Persa at 6-3 is an NFL HOF QB.

JJTBC ... Great football player and underrated athlete. How many BIG defenders did he embarrass in his career?

Overall ... Slater by a hair over Colter, Howard, Harris and Newsome. Best pure athlete to come out of NU since Chris Hinton.

GOUNUII

Last edited:

1. Napo
2. Newsome
3. Castillo
5. Bates

Plenty of good additions to the list mentioned here: Colter, Roach, JJ (I had him and then forgot him in HM list), Musso, Persa, Ismaeli etc...

Colter best athlete, second Newsome, Best Football player Slater followed by JJBC. Best Leader Persa.

1. Napo
2. Newsome
3. Castillo
5. Bates

I saw Thornton play live, but I believe it was in 1959 when I was looking at colleges with my Dad.

Ismaeli could do it all. He was a huge part of that 1995 defense.

Slater is really athletic. Probably the best lineman athlete since Hinton.

Here is a random one: We never saw him on the field, but I heard Jake Murray was a really good athlete. He retired due to injuries

I saw Thornton play live, but I believe it was in 1959 when I was looking at colleges with my Dad.
Yep those were during the Ara era, 56-63. Thornton, Burton, Gossage, Kimbrough's, Jim Stack, Cverko brothers, and Irv Cross! (RIP) Also a lot more , who I've missed.

Reactions: StreamCat
Yeah, this is dependent on what you're measuring, relative to position or just pure athleticism.
We've had guys that would fit in as track athletes but weren't quite as skilled football players.

Probably makes most sense to gauge relative to position, especially if you're including QBs/linemen in the discussion.

Even then, there are guys who relative to their position had such skill in terms of evasiveness and body control that it's hard to really measure that separately to athleticism because that was a big part of their game (obviously Persa/JJTBC but there are plenty of others like them).

While he was athletic for a QB, though average or above average as a WR, if Kain Colter was such a fantastic athlete, he would have been drafted (even at WR) or stuck with an NFL team. To answer this question, basically look at who has been (or will be) drafted in the 1st round at NU, and that's a good start.

Reactions: techtim72
Yep those were during the Ara era, 56-63. Thornton, Burton, Gossage, Kimbrough's, Jim Stack, Cverko brothers, and Irv Cross! (RIP) Also a lot more , who I've missed.
willy, just poking a little fun at torque-cat, who listed "Thornton" in his original post. I'm sure he meant Thorson.

While he was athletic for a QB, though average or above average as a WR, if Kain Colter was such a fantastic athlete, he would have been drafted (even at WR) or stuck with an NFL team. To answer this question, basically look at who has been (or will be) drafted in the 1st round at NU, and that's a good start.
Colter was a tremendous athlete at NU who did not fit the NFL profile. Many who have posted in this thread agree. The issue being discussed here is who were the most athletic at NU, not who were the most likely to be drafted or had the most success in the NFL. Your response, however, was quite predictable.

Reactions: NUCat320
Oh, I see, we are talking about the athleticism that isn't valued by the NFL.

Got it.

1. Napo
2. Newsome
3. Castillo
5. Bates

To me, it's a two man race between Colter and Ismaeli

(?)
You do have a weird anger that sustains itself ten years after the dude was one of the three most important contributors on a team that won the program’s first bowl game of your lifetime.(?)

Got it.

Got it.
No, we're talking about athleticism while performing for the 'Cats. This thread has nothing to do with the NFL.

Got it.

You can be a great athlete at the college level and not be a good fit for the NFL. Maybe if he had played WR or DB for 4 years he would've had a shot in the NFL. Carr is by no means a better athlete than Colter, but he had several years of mastering the position.

Yep, Paul Flatley, Chuck Logan, George Burman, Mike Stock, Jim Andriotti (a 200 pound center), Gene Gossage.

Interesting thing about Dick Thornton. He beat out my best friend for all state QB. My friend then got a ride at Yale (academic of course). While these two were toiling their trade, I was leisurely spending my time with the USMC.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Yep, Paul Flatley, Chuck Logan, George Burman, Mike Stock, Jim Andriotti (a 200 pound center), Gene Gossage.

Interesting thing about Dick Thornton. He beat out my best friend for all state QB. My friend then got a ride at Yale (academic of course). While these two were toiling their trade, I was leisurely spending my time with the USMC.
Oh and the guy who through to Flatley, a lot... Tommy Myers.

1. Napo
2. Newsome
3. Castillo
5. Bates

The best pure athlete that I have witnessed since '95 was Loren Howard. A superman speciman. Monster quickness, strength, everything.
But I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Venric Mark, our All Big Ten guy. He was so athletic that he fit in that once in a decade type player. Dunno, maybe someone mentioned him in this thread but I read the first 8 or 9 comments and I was already shocked his name didn't pop up.

The best pure athlete that I have witnessed since '95 was Loren Howard. A superman speciman. Monster quickness, strength, everything.
But I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Venric Mark, our All Big Ten guy. He was so athletic that he fit in that once in a decade type player. Dunno, maybe someone mentioned him in this thread but I read the first 8 or 9 comments and I was already shocked his name didn't pop up.

He was mentioned in the original post.

Played a lot of pickup basketball games with players between '93-'97 and I'd put Bates up there with anybody. Great athletes have the ability to excel in multiple sports and D'Wayne was really good at hoops. Silky smooth outside shot with the ability to dunk on anybody at SPAC. I believe he was also drafted by the Blue Jays out of high school.

Played a lot of pickup basketball games with players between '93-'97 and I'd put Bates up there with anybody. Great athletes have the ability to excel in multiple sports and D'Wayne was really good at hoops. Silky smooth outside shot with the ability to dunk on anybody at SPAC. I believe he was also drafted by the Blue Jays out of high school.

agree Bates is up there. But remember Napo was good enough to be a major contributor as a frosh on the actual basketball team. He was an absolute beast on the boards and was super active, quick and strong.

Saw him at a relatively recent reunion. He became a commercial pilot and looks like he could still chuck it. His first game as a 'Cat he completed his first 15 against South Carolina. It was fun to watch.

Throw in Fred Williamson from that era.
Since the Ara era, the post ‘95 era, and deepest dark age have all been represented in this thread, I’ll nominate pre-injury Greg Boykin for the transition time from Agase to disaster. Before kickoff, he always looked to me to be the first guy who would get selected in a split squad pickup game regardless of who the other team was (except maybe Archie Griffin when OSU came to town).

Reactions: julescat
Throw in Fred Williamson from that era.
Since the Ara era, the post ‘95 era, and deepest dark age have all been represented in this thread, I’ll nominate pre-injury Greg Boykin for the transition time from Agase to disaster. Before kickoff, he always looked to me to be the first guy who would get selected in a split squad pickup game regardless of who the other team was (except maybe Archie Griffin when OSU came to town).

Greg had ridiculously huge, powerful legs. Earl Campbell legs. It was a spectacle to watch him crush the leg press machine. It's a shame injuries robbed him of a long career in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT