ADVERTISEMENT

Best decision by Braun was starting Lausch to let him work through any struggles

zeek55

Nov 21, 2010
It was a very abrupt decision to change starters given the more conservative history that we've had with QB changes.

But the story of the EIU game would have been so different if we had just gotten to see only 12 or 13 attempts by Lausch in the second half with 3 or 4 completions (i.e. if Braun had kept Wright as starter and then just inserted Lausch in for some drives in the 2nd half).

It's worth giving credit to Braun on the starting decision because Lausch looked like a completely different quarterback once he got into the rhythm of the game and went on to complete most of his attempts (something like 17 for 19) the rest of the way with 11 in a row at one point.

Obviously, the level of competition ramps up with Big Ten play starting and @Washington will be a tough game. So it's a good thing Lausch at least got a full game to warm up and get any jitters/nerves out of his system.

It was a very abrupt decision to change starters given the more conservative history that we've had with QB changes.

But the story of the EIU game would have been so different if we had just gotten to see only 12 or 13 attempts by Lausch in the second half with 3 or 4 completions (i.e. if Braun had kept Wright as starter and then just inserted Lausch in for some drives in the 2nd half).

It's worth giving credit to Braun on the starting decision because Lausch looked like a completely different quarterback once he got into the rhythm of the game and went on to complete most of his attempts (something like 17 for 19) the rest of the way with 11 in a row at one point.

Obviously, the level of competition ramps up with Big Ten play starting and @Washington will be a tough game. So it's a good thing Lausch at least got a full game to warm up and get any jitters/nerves out of his system.
If Braun was going to make a change, it needed to be against EIU. If Wright had been good, then Braun would have stuck with him—makes sense that he got the first chance as the veteran. He wasn't, and the obvious choice was the younger guy who could lead the team for three years.

Another thing I really liked about how Braun handled the QBs last night is he brought in Wright for a series and let him throw the ball once (high-percentage play) and not just do boring handoffs. In the past, we wouldn't see this at all. Now Wright, who may be a team player but also feeling wounded about the loss and the demotion, gets the bad taste out of his mouth and is ready to go should anything happen to Lausch.

Other recent QB changes over the years were fairly quick as well But once it was seen that Wright did not have control it was logical that EIU was the time to make the change. People were calling for it during Duke game but that would not really have made sense as Lausch had not really had any practice reps with the first team and the only way to get him those reps was to declare him the starter for that game.

Lausch's game turned around during that drive going into half time. We needed the drive and there was limited time on the clock so out of necessity they sort of turned him loose. That set the stage for the rest of the game

Reactions: zeek55
It took a lot of guts for Braun to not hit the panic button when Lausch was struggling early on.
He may have struggled but he was not doing what got Wright benched. He was not putting the ball in harms way

He may have struggled but he was not doing what got Wright benched. He was not putting the ball in harms way
Yeah the benching was the direct result of the 4-5 throws that went straight at Duke players. Even though only 1 became an INT, there were way too many of those chances.

Another thing I really liked about how Braun handled the QBs last night is he brought in Wright for a series and let him throw the ball once (high-percentage play) and not just do boring handoffs. In the past, we wouldn't see this at all. Now Wright, who may be a team player but also feeling wounded about the loss and the demotion, gets the bad taste out of his mouth and is ready to go should anything happen to Lausch.
Braun even went so far as to point out how good of a teammate Wright was during the game. Being supportive on the sidelines and all of that towards Lausch. Was one of the first things he brought up after the game.

Last edited:
Yeah the benching was the direct result of the 4-5 throws that went straight at Duke players. Even though only 1 became an INT, there were way too many of those chances.

Braun even went so far as to point out how good of a teammate Wright was during the game. Being supportive on the sidelines and all of that towards Lausch. Was one of the first things he brought up after the game.
It was not even just those. Wright also fumbled the snap twice against MOH and looked uncomfortable receiving the snap all night long against DUKE

True the snap issues were a big problem.
Glad this is being mentioned. Just from watching on TV -- vs Duke there were a number of snaps that were high or low. Nearly as I could tell, that was much improved vs EIU. (Of course side-to-side inaccuracy can be an issue as well, but that's harder to judge onscreen.)

I'm not trying to be an apologist for Wright, but that had to have been a real factor. Imagine all the concerns on the QB's mind on top of having to worry about reliability of snaps to the hands. We tend to take centering for granted but it's harder (and more important) than it looks.

The odds of us needing Mike for meaningful snaps this year are extremely high, so yes, gotta keep him engaged. Sounds like he's a helluva teammate the way everybody speaks about him though, so not too worried.

The odds of us needing Mike for meaningful snaps this year are extremely high, so yes, gotta keep him engaged. Sounds like he's a helluva teammate the way everybody speaks about him though, so not too worried.
Yes, he will almost certainly be playing for NU at some point this season. Maybe even Hilinski, who threw a long TD last year on a screen to Himon.

Glad this is being mentioned. Just from watching on TV -- vs Duke there were a number of snaps that were high or low. Nearly as I could tell, that was much improved vs EIU. (Of course side-to-side inaccuracy can be an issue as well, but that's harder to judge onscreen.)

I'm not trying to be an apologist for Wright, but that had to have been a real factor. Imagine all the concerns on the QB's mind on top of having to worry about reliability of snaps to the hands. We tend to take centering for granted but it's harder (and more important) than it looks.
As I mentioned earlier. Wright was focusing a lot on receiving the snap and it took an extra second before he could even look at the field. Not sure if that was just to make sure that something like what happened against MOO did not happen again or he was truly having that much difficulty handling it but in either case it is not good. That pretty much screws up everything as the QB does not have that long to hand off the ball or get rid of it. In the pros it is 2.5 seconds and in college probably closer to 4 but if you lose an extra second just dealing with the snap, it throws all the timing off and makes it a lot harder to be successful

The decision to go to Lausch this week is the best chance NU has to get off the QB transfer portal roller coaster. If Jack was going to play this year the EIU game was really the last opportunity to ease him into a starting role and the best chance of establishing him as the incumbent starter going into 2025.

A gutsy decision by the staff. I hope it pays off.

It was not even just those. Wright also fumbled the snap twice against MOH and looked uncomfortable receiving the snap all night long against DUKE
He was uncomfortable because the snaps were consistently LOW. Bending down to get the snap distracts from your read of the defense. It was plain to see against Duke and Miami.

Were they? I didn’t see any issues with Lausch at QB. Did Bailey miraculously improve that much over the first two games? 🤔
I couldn't see much during the Duke game from the South stands because the lighted advertising often made the players look like shadows, but in the Hydroxide game, Wright was bending over for snaps at his shoe tops. Several times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT