ADVERTISEMENT

Big money - Ryan family new gift

No details, but a "multi-year construction process" for Ryan Field. Sounds like no time soon.

Here is the official release

No details, but a "multi-year construction process" for Ryan Field. Sounds like no time soon.
I take that to mean a Wrigley-like redevelopment process to occur in phases, probably with the stadium remaining open for each football season during the process, but who knows at this point.

Just received the email as well, great news. I'm not even mad about a vague timeline and something that may resemble more of a "facelift" than a full blown reno...the announcement alone becomes recruitment fodder for years.

My main concern: how this will be curated by a new AD and his new team, who may not totally be in tune with our fan base. I just imagine someone new coming in looking at our numbers and asking...why is parking so cheap? Why are season tickets so cheap? Where are the PSLs? #shakedown

Not to say that Phillips & Co weren't very interested in our money, but I felt like they cared about the core/long-term fan base, and I don't take that for granted.

The obvious improvements beyond ADA compliancy would be to improve and expand the main concourse with added concessions and more bathrooms. Modernize the outdated interior similar to the bulk of the Wrigley renovations.

But having just visited Ryan Field a few times over the years, what dramatic changes should be made (if any) to the physical look of the stadium or its capacity? The press box and club seating options are small even when proportionally compared to most Big Ten stadiums. I could see expanding the press box as an option along the west side upper deck. Or expand the roman style archways along the southern endzone exterior for a continuous look.

Reactions: drewjin
I just got an email from Morty. Check your inbox.

$480 million is designated for lots of things — mostly Med program, +Kellogg, +microeconomics (?), + the lead gift in stadium redevelopment.

Reactions: rmndcat
I also received the note this morning and I’m not that concerned about the timeline either, the commitment to just do something to renovate Ryan Field with half a billion is enough of a good start.😊
It will be interesting to see what the final approach will be- renovate or gut and rebuild like Stanford did with their stadium. It’s all good.

Could probably build an entirely new stadium from scratch for half a billion dollars.
Yes, but as noted not all the money is going to this project. Undoubtedly it will constitute the lead gift, but other donors will be recruited for the stadium.

Like what? You're aware, of course, that NU has an endowment fund that approaches 10 billion dollars.
Isn't the giant endowment even less of a reason to give $500M to NU athletics? What's the point other than as a vanity project for Mr Ryan?

Isn't the giant endowment even less of a reason to give $500M to NU athletics? What's the point other than as a vanity project for Mr Ryan?
Big donors often like to have their names attached. It’s a brand new thing that just started happening, so it can be a bit surprising. I’m frankly shocked that some wealthy people kind of use money to keep score. There are so few examples of that happening.

Keeping in mind Pat Ryan is also part owner of the Bears, given the size of the gift you wonder how the optics will play out if/when the Bears reach out for public funds for either SF upgrades or new stadium in Arlington Hts.

I just got an email from Morty. Check your inbox.

$480 million is designated for lots of things — mostly Med program, +Kellogg, +microeconomics (?), + the lead gift in stadium redevelopment.
Yay economics. I started targeting my gifts to the Econ department, and the thank you notes came back so fast the ink was still wet

Big donors often like to have their names attached. It’s a brand new thing that just started happening, so it can be a bit surprising. I’m frankly shocked that some wealthy people kind of use money to keep score. There are so few examples of that happening.
Things happening before means we shouldn't ever criticize them

There are better ways to spend half a billion dollars

Yep, feels like the first time in the history of mankind that money isn't going to the most important thing.

Give me a break, man. If money always was spent wisely and went to where it should go, there would be no poverty or hunger.

Not sure what fantasy world you are living in or even what point you are trying to make. Are you saying NU should just accept they have an old and outdated stadium? Should we be pushing other schools to not update their stadiums and facilities either? Should we even have a football program? Cause, let's be honest, putting a ton of money towards a football program really isn't that great of a way to spend money in the grand scheme of things...

Yep, feels like the first time in the history of mankind that money isn't going to the most important thing.

Give me a break, man. If money always was spent wisely and went to where it should go, there would be no poverty or hunger.

Not sure what fantasy world you are living in or even what point you are trying to make. Are you saying NU should just accept they have an old and outdated stadium? Should we be pushing other schools to not update their stadiums and facilities either? Should we even have a football program? Cause, let's be honest, putting a ton of money towards a football program really isn't that great of a way to spend money in the grand scheme of things...
Fantastic leaps in logic. I'm gonna play along with your game and say that by you criticizing my criticism of Mr Ryan's ostentatious vanity project, that you believe the uber wealthy are always above reproach and should never be publicly disparaged in how they spend their money.

I am genuinely happy to discuss with you the massive transfer of wealth to the top fraction of the top 1%, which has only been massively accelerating of late. I am also happy to discuss the societal ramifications of that too, if your interest in those topics are genuine.
Great, start a topic on the rant board and I'll see you there

I don’t do it for the glory. I do it for the kids. I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.
Wait.... you better save your money for the plagiarism lawsuit.

(The fact that I know how to spell "plagiarism" also tells you it must be the beginning of a new academic year here.)

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Fantastic leaps in logic. I'm gonna play along with your game and say that by you criticizing my criticism of Mr Ryan's ostentatious vanity project, that you believe the uber wealthy are always above reproach and should never be publicly disparaged in how they spend their money.
Yep, that’s almost exactly what he said, except for the last 43 word sentence, if you consider gonna one word.

Reactions: stpaulcat
My hunch is around $160-180 million of that money is for Ryan Field (maybe $200 million).

The remainder is for academics.

Either way that money should cover around 50-60% of the Ryan Field renovation and I'd expect other major donors to chip in another 20-30%. Remainder from smaller donors.

Great news for the program being able to lock this in and finally get the process underway.

And it looks like we're going to get a full $300-350 million redo of Ryan Field.

Reactions: techtim72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT