ADVERTISEMENT

Big money - Ryan family new gift

Fantastic leaps in logic. I'm gonna play along with your game and say that by you criticizing my criticism of Mr Ryan's ostentatious vanity project, that you believe the uber wealthy are always above reproach and should never be publicly disparaged in how they spend their money.
Okay, so what was your point when you said "There are better ways to spend a half billion dollars."?

Okay, so what was your point when you said "There are better ways to spend a half billion dollars."?
I meant literally that there are better ways to spend a half billion dollars. Is that ok with you for me to have that opinion?

Looking at the release, RF will never get done:

The multi-year construction process will provide an economic boost for the City of Evanston through job creation and increased revenue. Northwestern is committed to transparency and collaboration with Evanston neighbors throughout the construction process. The University will conduct listening sessions with community members before releasing design concepts and more specific plans.

I'm sure the neighbors will let this sail right through.........😁

I meant literally that there are better ways to spend a half billion dollars. Is that ok with you for me to have that opinion?
Of course. But what's even the point of saying that? I don't think you'll find a single soul on here that would argue against the ideal that there are better things to spend $500 million on than college athletics. Of course, there is. That's not reality though. People spend money on things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things all the time. We're in the midst of a bunch of billionaire a-holes engaging in a race to space. Talk about a waste of money.

It would be like if my wife said "I just won a free trip to Paris through work!" and I said "I don't know, it sure is going to take a long time to get there". Well, no sh*t, but does that mean you don't go?

Reactions: StreamCat
Of course. But what's even the point of saying that? I don't think you'll find a single soul on here that would argue against the ideal that there are better things to spend $500 million on than college athletics. Of course, there is. That's not reality though. People spend money on things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things all the time. We're in the midst of a bunch of billionaire a-holes engaging in a race to space. Talk about a waste of money.

It would be like if my wife said "I just won a free trip to Paris through work!" and I said "I don't know, it sure is going to take a long time to get there". Well, no sh*t, but does that mean you don't go?
By those standards, nobody should post anything on here as 99% of the comments on this forum are meaningless. Except for yours, of course. I'm sure every post you've ever made is as logically sound as if Socrates himself crafted it.

By those standards, nobody should post anything on here as 99% of the comments on this forum are meaningless. Except for yours, of course. I'm sure every post you've ever made is as logically sound as if Socrates himself crafted it.
Good God, look who is jumping to conclusions now.

It is what it is man. Just found it odd that exciting news like this comes down, and a negative comment like yours, which implies it’s not worth it, was out there.

Last edited:
It's becoming clear, they hired a stand-in DC to reduce attendance so they can build half the stadium at a time, thereby not needing to move the venue during construction.

Instead of expensive boxes for wealthy alums, the uppermost decks will be student dorms, where students can roll out of bed, crack a beer (I mean a book) and to cheer the Cats to victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: StreamCat
Fantastic leaps in logic. I'm gonna play along with your game and say that by you criticizing my criticism of Mr Ryan's ostentatious vanity project, that you believe the uber wealthy are always above reproach and should never be publicly disparaged in how they spend their money.
Uber is wealthy?

Reactions: cattul
I was thinking about perhaps the Alan Smithee Memorial urinal in the newly improved men’s room
This reminds me of the urinals in the new(ish) music building, where each urinal has a little tag on it, "Do not drink water from the urinals." Football fans may be strange, but concert goers?

I am very excited about this! Hopefully it will be completed by 2026, to mark the 100 year anniversary of the original stadium opening.

Driving three hours to go to a game (as I do) will be more enjoyable when the facilities are nice.

re’s my email from morty ;-)
Here it is, it came to my mailbox instead:

Dear Northwestern University alumni and friends,

It is with immense gratitude that I share the results of We Will. The Campaign Northwestern, one of the most successful fundraising campaigns in the history of higher education, as well as announce a record-breaking new gift to the University.

This is an extraordinary moment for Northwestern. The following announcement illustrates the tremendous impact of the “We Will” Campaign, made possible by the 174,380 of you who generously supported our strategic ambitions and the 975 of you who also served as Campaign volunteers. I would especially like to thank Campaign co-chairs and trustees T. Bondurant (Bon) French ’75, ’76 MBA (’07, ’21 P) and Paula B. Pretlow ’77, ’78 MBA and the Campaign Steering Committee for their visionary leadership and partnership.

We said “We Will,” and we did. Thank you for being a member of the Northwestern community and for all you do to support our wonderful university.

Morton Schapiro
President and Professor
Today, the University announced a $480 million gift from the Patrick G. and Shirley W. Ryan Family, the largest in Northwestern’s history. The gift will benefit several areas within Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, including digital medicine, neuroscience, global health and translational research; microeconomics in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences; and the Kellogg School of Management. In addition, a portion of the funds will provide the lead gift to redevelop Ryan Field into a best-in-class stadium that will be dramatically more accessible and provide an enhanced gameday experience for students, alumni, fans and the surrounding community. The stadium redevelopment project also will help further Northwestern’s role as an economic engine for the City of Evanston.

Learn more about the record-breaking gift.

Northwestern University
633 Clark St.,
Evanston, IL 60208
847-491-7200
Unsubscribe

My hunch is around $160-180 million of that money is for Ryan Field (maybe $200 million).

The remainder is for academics.

Either way that money should cover around 50-60% of the Ryan Field renovation and I'd expect other major donors to chip in another 20-30%. Remainder from smaller donors.

Great news for the program being able to lock this in and finally get the process underway.

And it looks like we're going to get a full $300-350 million redo of Ryan Field.
$300M-350M doesn’t get what it used to.

Also reading the “We Will” letter. Is this going to be a multi purpose arena. Referring to the final sentence of it being an economic engine for Evanston.

I’d love it if they formed a committee of season tix holders and alums on the planning committee. My hand is raised. Anyone of the AD’s email address?

Here it is, it came to my mailbox instead:

Dear Northwestern University alumni and friends,

It is with immense gratitude that I share the results of We Will. The Campaign Northwestern, one of the most successful fundraising campaigns in the history of higher education, as well as announce a record-breaking new gift to the University.

This is an extraordinary moment for Northwestern. The following announcement illustrates the tremendous impact of the “We Will” Campaign, made possible by the 174,380 of you who generously supported our strategic ambitions and the 975 of you who also served as Campaign volunteers. I would especially like to thank Campaign co-chairs and trustees T. Bondurant (Bon) French ’75, ’76 MBA (’07, ’21 P) and Paula B. Pretlow ’77, ’78 MBA and the Campaign Steering Committee for their visionary leadership and partnership.

We said “We Will,” and we did. Thank you for being a member of the Northwestern community and for all you do to support our wonderful university.

Morton Schapiro
President and Professor
Today, the University announced a $480 million gift from the Patrick G. and Shirley W. Ryan Family, the largest in Northwestern’s history. The gift will benefit several areas within Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, including digital medicine, neuroscience, global health and translational research; microeconomics in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences; and the Kellogg School of Management. In addition, a portion of the funds will provide the lead gift to redevelop Ryan Field into a best-in-class stadium that will be dramatically more accessible and provide an enhanced gameday experience for students, alumni, fans and the surrounding community. The stadium redevelopment project also will help further Northwestern’s role as an economic engine for the City of Evanston.

Learn more about the record-breaking gift.

Northwestern University
633 Clark St.,
Evanston, IL 60208
847-491-7200
Unsubscribe
From our AD:

September 22, 2021

Wildcats community,

The culmination of the record-breaking We Will. The Campaign for Northwestern allows us to reflect on your unparalleled support to enhance every aspect of our student-athlete experience, including the dramatic transformation of nearly every competition and development facility for all 19 Wildcats teams.

On behalf of our coaches, staff, and student-athletes, THANK YOU for your steadfast dedication and generosity. Because of YOU, our young men and women have a rock-solid foundation on which to grow as students, athletes and people, while competing at the pinnacle of intercollegiate athletic competition, and earning a Northwestern degree, now and for generations to come.

Today marks the start of a thrilling new era for Northwestern Athletics and Recreation and historic Ryan Field. Led by the incredible support of the Patrick ’59, ’09 H and Shirley Ryan ’61, ’19 H (’97, ’00 P) Family, a new chapter begins to construct a state-of-the-art facility for our students, alumni, fans, and community.

This project, while still in its early stages, will include a complete redevelopment of Ryan Field, including an enhanced gameday experience and exceptionally accessibility.

With this lead gift from the Ryan Family, the momentum has begun to rethink and redevelop Ryan Field. However, more support – your support - will be needed to fully realize this transformational vision. In the coming months, we will share the many ways our passionate alumni, donors, corporate partners, and season ticket holders can get involved with this project and collaborate with us in the process to make Ryan Field a venue that befits Northwestern’s mission of comprehensive excellence.

We will continue to update you and the entire Northwestern community as more information becomes available. Please visit RebuildRyanField.com for the most up-to-date information. For all inquiries, please contact Kacie Dohrmann, Assistant Athletic Director of the Wildcat Fund at kacie.dohrmann@northwestern.edu.

Go ’Cats!

Dr. Derrick Gragg
Combe Family Vice President for Athletics & Recreation
Jesse H. Marks
Deputy Director of Athletics for Development

Also reading the “We Will” letter. Is this going to be a multi purpose arena. Referring to the final sentence of it being an economic engine for Evanston.
I didn't read it that way, I was thinking more like how they will be spending a sh1t-ton of money in Evanston during construction, and, of course, 35-45k people x 6 or 7 Saturdays a year spend money in the town. That doesn't count the parking tickets and towing fees that Evanston collects.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
There are better ways to spend half a billion dollars
Most of that $480 million is going to Feinberg, the economics department and KGSM.

Ryan is smart enough to know that cultivating sports will recruit more alumni support. There is a reason why Arnold Weber went out and hired Gary Barnett 25 years ago. It’s the same reason why Ryan has given to sports at NU.

Reactions: drewjin
I am very excited about this! Hopefully it will be completed by 2026, to mark the 100 year anniversary of the original stadium opening.

Driving three hours to go to a game (as I do) will be more enjoyable when the facilities are nice.
Been driving 300 miles each way for home games for 20-some years, (No Chores isn't even past Toledo in 3 hours.) Never once have I thought "this would be a lot more enjoyable if they had better restrooms in the football stadium." Though I am getting psyched about the Alan Smithee troughs.

Been driving 300 miles each way for home games for 20-some years, (No Chores isn't even past Toledo in 3 hours.) Never once have I thought "this would be a lot more enjoyable if they had better restrooms in the football stadium." Though I am getting psyched about the Alan Smithee troughs.
You're gonna enjoy that 300 miles so much more knowing you can pee in luxury when you get there.

Reactions: FloridAlum
They will ensure lower cleaning costs if they place my photo in there for guys to aim at.

Most of that $480 million is going to Feinberg, the economics department and KGSM.

Ryan is smart enough to know that cultivating sports will recruit more alumni support. There is a reason why Arnold Weber went out and hired Gary Barnett 25 years ago. It’s the same reason why Ryan has given to sports at NU.
As a fan/alum I'm all for this; however, with all of the changes with NCAA and "amateur" sports and the health risks surrounding the game of football, will college football even exist in 20-25 years? Oh well, not my hundreds of millions of dollars...

As a fan/alum I'm all for this; however, with all of the changes with NCAA and "amateur" sports and the health risks surrounding the game of football, will college football even exist in 20-25 years? Oh well, not my hundreds of millions of dollars...
Keeping dancing while the music is playing.

Have to keep investing in the program as long as it exists. We'll have best in class facilities across the board once the stadium project is done.

Also worth noting the timing is critical. Somebody like Pat Ryan has probably made 1-2 billion dollars (at least) in the last year on the Fed pumping equity markets up to these levels.

That's probably a major part of this story that's been left unsaid. He's probably using this donation to lock in investment gains and as a way of estate planning.

One major reason for all the spending around campus the past 10 years has been that our major donor cohort has reached the age of 70s-80s and has to get all of this done while they're around to direct their money and at least enjoy it. We're fortunate to have so many donors with the ability to give and want to leave these kinds of legacy projects in place.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT