ADVERTISEMENT

Big news- Louis A coming home

Rittenberg also on it.

Thinking coaching shift or did Matt MacPherson get himself a new job?

Two great hires for Pat! Young coaches that will bring lots of energy
For years we've heard some say "Fitz can't take the risk" of replacing under performing coaches, yet with his first new hires in 9 years (!!) he seems to have had no problems finding attractive candidates.......

Last edited:
It's a great get, Ayeni will be a head coach somewhere in the next decade or so. Absolutely great to have him back here.

Both hires were absolute home runs. Both places wanted to keep those guys for sure.

Reactions: Artie M.
For years we've heard some say "Fitz can't take the risk" of replacing under performing coaches, yet with his first new hires in 9 years (!!) he seems to have had no problems finding attractive candidates.......
I was guilty of coach-plaining for a long time now. I am flabbergasted by these. Love these two guys, glad they are back

Wow, great hire. Coach Mc has also coached DBs in his past. Very curious to see how the pieces will fit together.

Wow, great hire. Coach Mc has also coached DBs in his past. Very curious to see how the pieces will fit together.

From The Scoop:

Northwestern: NU has hired Lou Ayeni (from Iowa State) as running backs coach and recruiting coordinator. Matt MacPherson has moved from RB’s to CB’s Coach and Special Teams Coordinator. Ayeni played at NU in the early 2000’s and GA’d in the late 2000’s

MacPherson coached safeties at EMU under Genyk before joining NU's staff as RB coach. I assume it'll all work out with some responsibility changes. No such thing as too many quality coaches.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
From The Scoop:

Northwestern: NU has hired Lou Ayeni (from Iowa State) as running backs coach and recruiting coordinator. Matt MacPherson has moved from RB’s to CB’s Coach and Special Teams Coordinator. Ayeni played at NU in the early 2000’s and GA’d in the late 2000’s
So what is McGarigle going to do?

From The Scoop:

So McGarigle will coach safeties?

This is huge. Major props to Fitz and Philips in getting this done. These two hires will be a boon for recruiting. Two incredible representatives of NU out on the recruiting trail. Don’t underestimate the impact LA and TM will have in recruits’ living rooms. Hard to find two better representatives of Northwestern and everything the program/degree can offer. I’m thrilled!

You guy are forgetting we get an extra (10th) coach to hire. Teams can officially do it on Tuesday, so it doesn't mean Matt M is leaving, but will probably take a different role?

First, great news about Louis Ayeni joining the Cats! He will be a great boost to recruiting. He may have a future as a HC down the road but hope we can hold on to him for at least 5 years.

The shuffle in the coaching staff is interesting. I recall that Hank coaches the safeties, so maybe he'll step back from that.

Since Mac takes over CB's from Jerry, plus ST, Timmy takes over safeties? Assistant DC?

This article says his role is not defined. Says he may coach the defensive side of the ball. Sounds like FItz was more focused on getting the best coaches/fits and then figure out specific responsibilities later.

Sounds like it’s an outdated quote.

Rittenberg and Greenstein both have tweeted “Running Backs Coach”. TOS is saying the same thing.

I didn’t realize the quote from the Iowa article is from yesterday. Wasn’t sure who to believe.

This is huge. Major props to Fitz and Philips in getting this done. These two hires will be a boon for recruiting. Two incredible representatives of NU out on the recruiting trail. Don’t underestimate the impact LA and TM will have in recruits’ living rooms. Hard to find two better representatives of Northwestern and everything the program/degree can offer. I’m thrilled!

I wonder if the new facility will be as big a draw for coaches as it will be be for recruits. I’m thinking yes.

Do tell. How will the pieces of the staff all come together?

ADVERTISEMENT