ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten coaches talk anonymously about Big Ten Teams

pnt16

Gold Member
Dec 8, 2017
"The key to this season will be the health of QB Clayton Thorson. I’ll tell you right now, if his knee is healthy and he plays well, two things will happen: Northwestern will win 10 games again, and he’s going to be a first-round pick in the NFL Draft. He has that ability, and his measureables are off the charts. Smart kid, big arm, loves to compete. He’ll blow them away at the Combine. But first he has to get healthy."

"The good news for Thorson is if he returns in time, he’ll have two terrific security blankets to make the transition as easy as possible. (Ben) Skowronek and (Flynn) Nagel will make any quarterback’s job easier. Those two guys can go get anything."

"I absolutely love (LB) Paddy Fisher. When I first saw him play, it was eerie. It was like I was watching a young Pat Fitzgerald running around out there in the purple. Same type of player, same ferocious intensity, same desire every single snap. If he’s not all-conference after this season, I’ll be stunned."

"Think about that concept of Northwestern winning 10 games 'again.' If you ever doubted the impact of Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern, let that idea sink in. Northwestern with back-to-back 10-win seasons and it’s not really surprising. What Pat has accomplished there, how he has everyone bought in, how they’re building palatial facilities for him, it’s just a remarkable achievement."

"They can be really good up front, and they’re going to need it to protect Thorson and open some holes for (RB) Jeremy Larkin, a young guy who I think is good."

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...lk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2018?amp

"The key to this season will be the health of QB Clayton Thorson. I’ll tell you right now, if his knee is healthy and he plays well, two things will happen: Northwestern will win 10 games again, and he’s going to be a first-round pick in the NFL Draft. He has that ability, and his measureables are off the charts. Smart kid, big arm, loves to compete. He’ll blow them away at the Combine. But first he has to get healthy."

"The good news for Thorson is if he returns in time, he’ll have two terrific security blankets to make the transition as easy as possible. (Ben) Skowronek and (Flynn) Nagel will make any quarterback’s job easier. Those two guys can go get anything."

"I absolutely love (LB) Paddy Fisher. When I first saw him play, it was eerie. It was like I was watching a young Pat Fitzgerald running around out there in the purple. Same type of player, same ferocious intensity, same desire every single snap. If he’s not all-conference after this season, I’ll be stunned."

"Think about that concept of Northwestern winning 10 games 'again.' If you ever doubted the impact of Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern, let that idea sink in. Northwestern with back-to-back 10-win seasons and it’s not really surprising. What Pat has accomplished there, how he has everyone bought in, how they’re building palatial facilities for him, it’s just a remarkable achievement."

"They can be really good up front, and they’re going to need it to protect Thorson and open some holes for (RB) Jeremy Larkin, a young guy who I think is good."

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...lk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2018?amp

Thanks for sharing. These kind of stories are my favorite of the "preview season."

Comports with a lot of what I've been hearing/thinking. Wonder what other comments about the defense were left on the cutting room floor.

Reactions: DaCat
This is why I found it so stunning that so many folks here treated Hunter Johnson like he was some sort of significant upgrade over Thorson.

This is why I found it so stunning that so many folks here treated Hunter Johnson like he was some sort of significant upgrade over Thorson.

I don't think anyone really thinks/thought of Johnson as a significant upgrade over Thorson, especially given that Johnson isn't eligible until 2019.

People think/thought of Johnson as a significant upgrade over the current NU QBs not named Thorson and as a continuation of what has been some pretty damn good QB play at NU.

I too love watching Paddy Fisher. Only problem with him is keeping him on the field. He got tossed at least twice last year on questionable calls. Hopefully does not happen again this year.

While he eventually might be, it will not happen till at least after this year as he is not eligible till 2019

Fanz wont MOAR !!!

With all his accomplishments to date ( two 10-win seasons, etc.) Thorson still has room for improvement. No question his ceiling is very high, but his individual numbers have not been mind-blowing. If healthy, hope to see a season that eclipses Kafka-esque numbers as a senior... and another 10+ win season.

Fun guessing who said what....any bets for who said “ I love watching Paddy Fisher .....” ?

Fanz wont MOAR !!!

With all his accomplishments to date ( two 10-win seasons, etc.) Thorson still has room for improvement. No question his ceiling is very high, but his individual numbers have not been mind-blowing. If healthy, hope to see a season that eclipses Kafka-esque numbers as a senior... and another 10+ win season.

Just win, baby.

Reactions: phatcat

Both have everything NFL coaches salivate over.

Would say, however, that HJ is ahead of where Thorson was during the early stages (Thorson was pretty raw).

Both have everything NFL coaches salivate over.

Would say, however, that HJ is ahead of where Thorson was during the early stages (Thorson was pretty raw).
I'm a big fan of HJ and very pumped that we got him. However, until we see him produce under pressure on the B1G stage, I'm going to see it remains to be seen whether he is ahead of Thorson. HS tape only counts for so much. I think he's got tons of potential, but I'll withhold the accolades until he puts it into practice.

I'm naturally skeptical of highly touted transfers after some past experiences. There can be cases where 5-star transfers are transferring because they are second-tier, or damaged goods of some sort. It doesn't seem like that here, but we will see.

I'm a big fan of HJ and very pumped that we got him. However, until we see him produce under pressure on the B1G stage, I'm going to see it remains to be seen whether he is ahead of Thorson. HS tape only counts for so much. I think he's got tons of potential, but I'll withhold the accolades until he puts it into practice.

I'm naturally skeptical of highly touted transfers after some past experiences. There can be cases where 5-star transfers are transferring because they are second-tier, or damaged goods of some sort. It doesn't seem like that here, but we will see.

We have seen it from his time at Clemson, when he played pretty darn well as a true freshman in limited reps and showed very well in public spring games.

Reactions: DaCat
We have seen it from his time at Clemson, when he played pretty darn well as a true freshman in limited reps and showed very well in public spring games.
C'mon man... very limited reps. 19 of his 27 career pass attempts came in games against Kent St, Wake Forest, and Citadel during easy wins. I think he'll be good but to say he's demonstrated it on the college field isn't really true. And weren't you the one who said that spring games are completely useless for evaluating talent when I mentioned I would have liked to see a few reps from our backup QBs to get any sort of indication what we are dealing with? (For the record, I don't think they are completely useless, but I take them with a big grain of salt...)

That's why I said under B1G pressure.

C'mon man... very limited reps. 19 of his 27 career pass attempts came in games against Kent St, Wake Forest, and Citadel during easy wins. I think he'll be good but to say he's demonstrated it on the college field isn't really true. And weren't you the one who has gone around saying that spring games are completely useless for evaluating talent?

That's why I said under B1G pressure.

We have a lot more information on Hunter than we do high school prospects, plus a ton of high school tape that makes you go "yeah, he's good."

Mention spring games only because it's an "eyes on" opportunity at the college level, benefits of which we don't have for high school prospects. It isn't the be-all, end-all by any means, but is another chunk of useful information to build out the picture.

I'd certainly love to see another 10-win season from the Cats, but with this year's schedule that will be a tall order even if CT is healthy.

Because NU is playing good teams? Because Duke is supposed to be better than the Duke team that throttled NU last season? Because ND is probably a little better than the Nevada NU struggled to beat last year? Because PU will be a year better under Brohm? Because Frost will have NE playing better? Because Wisky is still Wisky?

NU has one of the toughest schedules in the country. Winning 10 will be a real stretch.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Because NU is playing good teams? Because Duke is supposed to be better than the Duke team that throttled NU last season? Because ND is probably a little better than the Nevada NU struggled to beat last year? Because PU will be a year better under Brohm? Because Frost will have NE playing better? Because Wisky is still Wisky?

NU has one of the toughest schedules in the country. Winning 10 will be a real stretch.

And I think we will end up being a better team as well.

NU fan insecurity is always hilarious to me. The program has won ten games two of the last three seasons for a reason.

We have a lot more information on Hunter than we do high school prospects, plus a ton of high school tape that makes you go "yeah, he's good."

Mention spring games only because it's an "eyes on" opportunity at the college level, benefits of which we don't have for high school prospects. It isn't the be-all, end-all by any means, but is another chunk of useful information to build out the picture.
Yeah, fair enough. I certainly agree indications look good at this point. Just saying, there have been times when indications looked good for other past high profile transfers (for NU in multiple sports, along with many other cases), and the reality has sometimes fallen short of expectations, so I will maintain some skepticism until I see it on the field.

NU fan insecurity is always hilarious to me. The program has won ten games two of the last three seasons for a reason.

The slow starts in recent years justify fan insecurity.

As Justin Jackson said before the Maryland game last year, “Enough talk. Show me!” Prove that the 2-2 record in openers over the past four years, and 1-3 record in Week 2s, are in the rear view mirror. Show the same killer instinct from the start that led to the 39-0 thrashing of Minnesota late last season.

Yeah, fair enough. I certainly agree indications look good at this point. Just saying, there have been times when indications looked good for other past high profile transfers (for NU in multiple sports, along with many other cases), and the reality has sometimes fallen short of expectations, so I will maintain some skepticism until I see it on the field.

I assume that you're referring to Prater (who never ran particularly well) and Shuler (who never caught the ball particularly well). Both "had their warts," so to speak, but that's not the vibe on Johnson at all. It's almost like everyone at Clemson went out of their way to say nice things about him.

The slow starts in recent years justify fan insecurity.

As Justin Jackson said before the Maryland game last year, “Enough talk. Show me!” Prove that the 2-2 record in openers over the past four years, and 1-3 record in Week 2s, are in the rear view mirror. Show the same killer instinct from the start that led to the 39-0 thrashing of Minnesota late last season.

... and Minnesota is just a terrible football team right now.

I'm with GCG on this one. In addition, the HJ situation is unlike any other transfer we have seen. ZK comes the closest, and that worked out very well for the Cats. What makes this so different is that HJ did nothing at Clemson to tarnish his credentials. We're getting the No. 1 available QB recruit in the Country for the 2019 class. With 3 years of eligibility and the benefit of an entire year in the program before he steps on the field. Nothing could have worked out better for the Cats.

And yes. NU fans tend to be less than optimistic about expecting victory. Even being cautiously optimistic probably puts you on the sunny side of the fan base. Too much history for the older fans. Too many Army type losses that are hard to explain. Too much emphasis, like most fans, on star ratings out of high school. My message to them is simple. Good teams win. And we've been doing a lot of that, especially in the last 3 years. Therefore ... we are a good team. Good teams almost invariably have a good QB, a stingy scoring defense and a lot of mental/physical toughness. And again, we are doing very well on all 3 of those keys. It's no coincidence that only Wisconsin stands between us and playing in the BIG Championship game..

We are 27-12 over the last 3 years with 2 bowl wins. And we have the longest winning streak in Power 5 football. So get use to it. Let go of the historical demons. We are a good Top 25 caliber football program now, with every reason to believe we can and should aim higher.

GOUNUII

People who don't understand NU fan insecurity are always hilarious to me. What program have you been watching?

I've been watching the team that comes off a 10-win season to lose to Illinois State, play poorly the following year 325444444488888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888884... (<<<my cat, Zorra wanted to add this)... at Duke, and hand games over to Michigan three years in a row. You know, the team that goes up 38-3 halfway through the third quarter and then loses in record fashion. That team. Oh, the suffering I have seen!

ADVERTISEMENT