ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten men's teams in the news or in action

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
Thought it might be useful to have a thread dedicated to our eventual Big Ten opponents.

Congratulations to the Purdue Boliermakers on being ranked #1 in the sport.

Matt Painter has two freshmen guards playing 28+ minutes per game and making a big positive impact in support of Zach Edey.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
Did anybody catch the UCLA vs Maryland game last night? I didn't see it, but Maryland didn't represent the Big Ten very well, getting obliterated on their home court 87-60.
From the box score, UCLA led 49-20 at halftime. The Bruins only took 12 shots from distance, making 5. They were 30 for 51 on their 2 point shots.

It seems like they completely shredded the Terps, who were 2 point favorites.

• Sad
UCLA worked hard on the defensive end which lead to a bunch of Maryland turnovers and layups. Didn't bother with the second half, it was that bad.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
UCLA worked hard on the defensive end which lead to a bunch of Maryland turnovers and layups.
That's our formula this year, but the layups have been missing, so we've had to rely on 3s. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they dont!

• Sad
Cats will be put to the test quickly in the conference schedule. Their first seven Big Ten games are against upper tier teams. Four of which are ranked in the top 25. Six in the top 35.

IMO Purdue is the only team the will really struggle against. To big.

Other teams their defense, if focused, will give NU a shot.

Arizona really made Jackson-Davis struggle when they beat Indiana. Hopefully they watch that film.

I watched a BTN special about Wisconsin basketball's summer trip to France.
It was mildly entertaining, if only to listen to Greg Gard talking to his players.

"The ball needs to go into the paint every trip down the floor before we take a shot."

"We're turning the ball over too much. The solution to that is real easy - I sit you on the bench."

"The ball needs to go into the paint every trip down the floor before we take a shot."

Recently I heard a commentator, don't recall who, saying something like "you need to get the ball in the paint. It does not mean you finish it inside. It just changes the entire play, it changes the dynamic of the defense and you see better shots". Music to my hears. Keep just rotating it outside and what you get is more contested shots.

Indiana got hammered by Kansas and lost their point guard to injury.
I don't find them too intimidating....

On the other hand, Rutgers thrashed Wake Forest and will be a tough opponent.

North Carolina rallies from 10 behind with 7 minutes to play to tie Ohio State at the buzzer on a contested turnaround 18 footer by a guy named Pete Nance. Inbounded the ball with 1.2 seconds left with a crosscourt lob to Nance who came from under the basket, caught the ball, turned and scored over the defender while falling away.

Tarheels win it in OT.

Last edited:
North Carolina rallies from 10 behind with 7 minutes to play to tie Ohio State at the buzzer on a contested turnaround 18 footer by a guy named Pete Nance. Inbounded the ball with 1.2 seconds left with a crosscourt lob to Nance who came from under the basket, caught the ball, turned and scored over the defender while falling away.

Tarheels win it in OT.
And to think last year he couldn’t hit a free throw to close it out…

Iowa Hawkeyes just lost to Eastern Illinois 92-83.
They were 30 point favorites.
EIU is 348th in KenPom (out of 363 teams) AFTER today’s game, so I assume they were lower than that before. That has to be among the worst-ever losses by a B1G team. Our worst loss in the KenPom era (since 2002) is to #271 New Mexico State in the 04-05 season. Hartford was #243 in the 19-20 season.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
EIU is 348th in KenPom (out of 363 teams) AFTER today’s game, so I assume they were lower than that before. That has to be among the worst-ever losses by a B1G team. Our worst loss in the KenPom era (since 2002) is to #271 New Mexico State in the 04-05 season. Hartford was #243 in the 19-20 season.
Yikes. Iowa was at home for that loss as well. Even after that game, Eastern's offensive efficiency is 89.8. (There were 114 that game.) Also didn't help that Iowa went 7-33 from 3pt.

Yikes. Iowa was at home for that loss as well. Even after that game, Eastern's offensive efficiency is 89.8. (There were 114 that game.) Also didn't help that Iowa went 7-33 from 3pt.

I just saw they were #356 of 363 coming into the game. They had 3 wins prior to today, 2 over non-D1 programs and the other over IUPUI, the team ranked 363! Just a wild result.

Love it. Misery (at least in football) loves company.

Looking at the box score just kinda hurts. Just so so many missed shots and so many more opportunities on the Iowa side.

We now have a blueprint to beat Illinois:
1) shoot 50% from the arc, and 59% overall
2) top 2 guards score 51 points
3) Establish a 35 pt lead with 12 minutes left
That may squeak us past Illinois, but I have to wonder if it will do any good as a general plan going forward?

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
That may squeak us past Illinois, but I have to wonder if it will do any good as a general plan going forward?
If we follow this plan strictly we will win a lot (all?) of our games. We can call it The Hungry Plan. Next to the Touchdown Play in football.

Very surprised with Iowa. They shoot worse than NU.
In their 2 B1G losses (one in OT to Wisconsin and last night's thumping vs. Nebrasketball):
  • the Hawkeyes shot 25.5% from 3pt (last in B1G); 39% from 2pt (last in B1G) AND took 3pters on 40% of their shots;
  • they play very fast (16.3 secs/poss, 2nd in B1G)
  • they don't get to the FT line - 18.2 FTA/FGA (13th in B1G).
    • For perspective, last year's edition went 29 FTA/FGA (9th in B1G)
Fran-ball is built on offensive efficiency. Look at the last 5 years in B1G:
2018: 108.7 (5th)
2019: 107.0 (3rd)
2020: 109.1 (1st)
2021: 115.5 (1st)
2022: 112.9 (1st)
2023 - 2 games: 87.5 (14th)

The defense could pick up the slack - as their DefEff is 100.8 (10th), but there isn't much to gain there.

Iowa: fast and furious offense against minor teams gave the impression they were good. It’s not playing close against WI that makes them good, WI will not blow out anyone. That’s not their game. Opposite of Iowa. Murray 22/23 is good but is no Murray 21/22.

Michigan: Juwan Howard is not a good coach. But he can recruit and had some incredible talent in the last couple of seasons. Or maybe he's decent but I dislike his face so I'm going with that

Michigan: Juwan Howard is not a good coach. But he can recruit and had some incredible talent in the last couple of seasons. Or maybe he's decent but I dislike his face so I'm going with that
My epicaricacy over his meltdowns may be wrong, but his fighting with other coaches and sometimes his own players adds a new level of entertainment to college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT