ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten rosters about 6 months out...

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
With so many players graduating, going pro and transferring, here's how things stand in the league...

Illinois - Lose their top 6 guys (in minutes) and return only 3 players from the 11 man rotation. Incoming freshmen include #25, #52 and #83 plus an additional 4 star. Two quality transfers from Baylor and Texas Tech, each of whom averaged about 10 ppg.

Purdue - Lose Jaden Ivey to NBA, Trevion Williams, Hunter and Stefanovic. Five of top 7 players gone. Return Zach Edey, Mason Gillis, Caleb Furst. Freshmen include #86 plus two 4-stars. Transfer is a scoring guard from Utah who averaged 19.7 ppg two seasons ago before playing time cut.

Wisconsin - Lose Johnny Davis to NBA and Brad Davison to dad's hardware store. Return 4 of their top 9., essentially Wahl, Crowl and Hepburn. Freshman is a 3-star. Transfer averaged 15 at Wofford. On paper, not a good team.

Iowa - Lose Keegan Murray to NBA and Jordan Bohannon to an upscale men's salon. Return 6 of top 9 players but only 3 of top 6. Freshmen are a 4-star and a 3-star. No notable transfers arriving.

Ohio St - Lose EJ Liddell (19.3 ppg) and Malaki Branham (16.3 ppg) to NBA. Return only 2 of last year's top 11 players. Zed Key only returning starter. Justice Sueing back from injury. Freshmen include #42, #48, #56, #57. Transfers feature a 20 ppg guy from Wright State, a 12 ppg player from West Virginia and a 7 ppg guy from Oklahoma State.

Rutgers - Lose Ron Harper and Geo Baker, their two top scorers, but return the rest of their top 8. Freshman is a 3-star. Transfer is Cam Spencer, Pat's brother, who was Player of year in the Patriot league.

Michigan St - Lose Max Christie to NBA, plus Marcus Bingham, Julius Marble and Gabe Brown. Played 9 guys on a balanced team last year. Return 5 of those. Freshmen are #40 and #79. No transfers arriving.

Michigan - Hunter Dickinson is back, but the other 4 starters are gone. Return only 3 of top 9. Freshmen are #31, #41 and #59. Transfers are Princeton's top scorer and a rotation player from Duke.

Indiana - Lose only 1 starter and return their top 3 scorers. Freshmen include #22, #24, #78 and a 4-star. Reason for optimism in Bloomington.

Penn St - Lose John Harrar and Sam Sessoms. Return 4 of their top 9. Freshmen include #100, two 4-stars and two 3-stars. Two grad transfers, a 16 ppg guard from Drexel and a 17 ppg guard from Bucknell.

Maryland - Only went 8 deep last year and lose 3 starters, including both top scorers (Ayala and Russell). Freshman is a 4-star. Transfers include a 13 ppg guard from Georgetown and a 16 ppg guard from UNC-Charlotte. Both will play.

Nebraska - Lose their two top scorers and 3 starters. Played 9 man rotation last year. Returning 4 of those, including Derrick Walker. Freshmen include #88 and two 3-stars. Transfers feature a 6'11" Juco transfer, a 10 ppg starting guard from SMU, a 6.5 ppg small forward from Alabama and a 14 ppg "big guard" grad transfer from North Dakota State.

Minnesota - Lose 6 of their top 7 players. Only went 8 deep last year. Jamison Battle (17 ppg) returns. Freshmen include one 4-star and three 3-stars. Top transfer is a 6'11" part-timer from North Carolina. Also two other 9 ppg guards, one from Morehead State and the other Dartmouth.

Northwestern - Loses its top scorer and two best rebounders. Returns 5 of its top 6 in minutes played. Loses rotational players 7, 8, 9, 10. Freshman is a 4-star. Transfer is a 6.6 ppg guy from UTEP.

Last edited:
Today, Illinois added 6-11, 220 Frenchman Zacharie Perrin. He was MVP of a recent European tourney where he averaged 17 and 10. He turns 18 this summer. Chose Illinois over UCLA and Texas.

In the composite recruiting rankings, Illinois got the highest ranked recruit from Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina and Tennessee.

Transfer class of Shannon, Mayer and Dainja ranked 2nd nationally.

RJ Melendez, Coleman Hawkins and Luke Goode are promising returnees. Hawkins was actually 6th in total minutes. Curbelo averaged .3 more minutes but only played half the season.

Lots of talent. How long it take them to gel together is the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Today, Illinois added 6-11, 220 Frenchman Zacharie Perrin. He was MVP of a recent European tourney where he averaged 17 and 10. He turns 18 this summer. Chose Illinois over UCLA and Texas.

In the composite recruiting rankings, Illinois got the highest ranked recruit from Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina and Tennessee.

Transfer class of Shannon, Mayer and Dainja ranked 2nd nationally.

RJ Melendez, Coleman Hawkins and Luke Goode are promising returnees. Hawkins was actually 6th in total minutes. Curbelo averaged .3 more minutes but only played half the season.

Lots of talent. How long it take them to gel together is the question.
There are several teams that saw their rosters hollowed out. No doubt Illinois has plenty of new talent coming in. Same with Ohio State and Michigan, on paper. Will be interesting to see which coaches can make it work and how quickly.

Great recap. So many of these teams appear that they'll be worse (some significantly so) which makes the departures of Nance, Young and Simmons especially frustrating. If Collins had kept them, we'd (at least on paper) have a solidly competitive team in the Big 10 (maybe in that 5-8 group based on talent). Of course, Collins' annual problem has been translating being competitive into wins.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Wisconsin - Lose Johnny Davis to NBA and Brad Davison to dad's hardware store. Return 4 of their top 9., essentially Wahl, Crowl and Hepburn. Freshman is a 3-star. Transfer averaged 15 at Wofford. On paper, not a good team.
I hear ya, but now do Wisconsin from the year before and suddenly the "on paper" doesn't seem to mean as much there.

Development. System.

There are several teams that saw their rosters hollowed out. No doubt Illinois has plenty of new talent coming in. Same with Ohio State and Michigan, on paper. Will be interesting to see which coaches can make it work and how quickly.
We are probably going to see some “miracle” that pops up from the bench to become an All American type of player.

Last year we all knew Ivey was going to be good. But Davis and Murray we did not see being as good as they were. This year people believe the other Murray will see a big leap, but we will be surprised by some we did not see coming.

Sadly, even if we are talking about players who were not 5 star recruits, not necessarily more touted recruits than ours, these are miracles that don’t happen under CC.

Good overview. Shows major losses for most programs. No heavy favorite this year, race looks wide open.

We are probably going to see some “miracle” that pops up from the bench to become an All American type of player.

Last year we all knew Ivey was going to be good. But Davis and Murray we did not see being as good as they were. This year people believe the other Murray will see a big leap, but we will be surprised by some we did not see coming.

Sadly, even if we are talking about players who were not 5 star recruits, not necessarily more touted recruits than ours, these are miracles that don’t happen under CC.
Robbie Beran?

*ducks*

"On paper" NU didn't lose as much as other teams. But we also added relatively little. We're toward the bottom on incoming freshmen. Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State and Michigan just loaded up on highly rated kids. We're down there with Maryland (one 4-star) Wisconsin (one 3-star), Rutgers (one 3-star) and Iowa (one 4-star, one 3-star).

Transfer-wise, we also are near the bottom, with Iowa and Michigan State, who brought in nobody noteworthy.

As some have pointed out, other teams have "unknowns" step up from a season or two on the bench to become important, even great players. We have not had that happen once during Coach Collins tenure. Although I am still holding out hope for Nicholson and/or Barnhizer. Alternatively, maybe Roper will make a major leap this year. He will definitely get the opportunity.

Reactions: CatJones
Nice to see the video. A question from this old southpaw: who is seen taking the left-handed jumper just before end of the clip?

As some have pointed out, other teams have "unknowns" step up from a season or two on the bench to become important, even great players. We have not had that happen once during Coach Collins tenure. Although I am still holding out hope for Nicholson and/or Barnhizer. Alternatively, maybe Roper will make a major leap this year. He will definitely get the opportunity.

Roper would be my pick, though I wonder how much room he will get on a team with Buie and Audige. Coaches facing firing will sometimes rely too much on their veterans to the detriment of young talent. I don't think Collins is that guy, but I'm not sure.

Roper would be my pick, though I wonder how much room he will get on a team with Buie and Audige. Coaches facing firing will sometimes rely too much on their veterans to the detriment of young talent. I don't think Collins is that guy, but I'm not sure.

I agree that sophomore Roper should improve on his promising start last year. That is one area where Collins has had some success - guys with enough talent as freshmen to demand time on the court have sometimes gone on to be key players on Collins's teams. Its the other case - guys who didn't play much as freshmen - Collins and his assistants have struggled to turn them into regulars.

Roper is going to have to develop his outside shooting. He is more than willing to try to take his defender off the dribble and will thrive if we abandon the "4 guys standing around the 3 point line with the post player setting screens" offense that made most of us nauseous last year.

As for the veterans, Audige and Beran have not shown themselves to be average starters for the Big Ten. Audige could be above average because he defends so well, but was such a liability on offense last year that he hurt the team. Buie, on the other hand, is essential. Verhoeven has no chance to be an average Big Ten starter, so the more he plays, the worse it will be.

Are there any unannounced new players or walk ons? There are a couple of new faces in scrimmage video I didn't recognize including guy next to Verhoven in green jersey in last frame.

Reactions: EagerFan and DaCat
Are there any unannounced new players or walk ons? There are a couple of new faces in scrimmage video I didn't recognize including guy next to Verhoven in green jersey in last frame.
Other than freshmen Martinelli (the lefty) and Luke Hunger, there is a 6'6" guy named Blake Smith. Not sure if he is on the team or what! He is practicing with the team. I never saw anything about him signing, but he is listed here...

Just guessing ,,but with a summer roster at 11 including walk-ons, they needed to add to the scrimmage group...This Blake Smith is listed nowhere on Verbal Commits. Maybe ends up as another walk-on

It’s become a cliche now that Kris Murray is going to make a big jump next season, but word out of Iowa City is that sophomore center Riley Mulvey might actually be the most improved player on next year’s Hawkeyes squad.

It’s become a cliche now that Kris Murray is going to make a big jump next season, but word out of Iowa City is that sophomore center Riley Mulvey might actually be the most improved player on next year’s Hawkeyes squad.
It would explain why Ogundele transferred out.

. . . from behind the arc, with a hand in his face
On the one hand, Audige shot 34% from the field, consistently took terrible shots, and never saw his minutes reduced.

On the other hand, Roper consistently played within the confines of the offense, took generally open shots, occasionally got to the rim, and shot…34%.

And Berry was 39% and Greer was 40% and Boo was 40% and fuggit why did I even watch… and Young 56% and Nicholson* 69%.

*sample size caveats apply, except in the case of Nicholson, who is an obvious all-American with appropriate minutes.

Reactions: DaCat
On the one hand, Audige shot 34% from the field, consistently took terrible shots, and never saw his minutes reduced.

On the other hand, Roper consistently played within the confines of the offense, took generally open shots, occasionally got to the rim, and shot…34%.

And Berry was 39% and Greer was 40% and Boo was 40% and fuggit why did I even watch… and Young 56% and Nicholson* 69%.

*sample size caveats apply, except in the case of Nicholson, who is an obvious all-American with appropriate minutes.
In the last 10 games of the season, all against Big Ten teams...

I have Audige shooting 10 of 45 on 3 pointers (22%).
He was 15 of 56 on 2 pointers (27%).

Roper was 5 of 17 on 2 pointers (29%). 9 of 26 on 3 pointers (34.6%).

Given that Audige is about 3 years older than Roper, if you had to pick between the two players, I'd have to assume most people would take Roper.

Collins will start Buie, Beran, Audige, Roper and probably Verhoeven, but maybe Hunger. Not saying thats what he should do, but his past decisions all point to this.

Buie and Beran will play a lot.

• Sad
Reactions: IGNORE2
I'm still waiting for word out of Evanston that Matt Nicholson is the most improved player on the NU roster...
#WeCantHaveNiceThings

Reactions: chaneccooms
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT