ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Walton has passed at 71

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
Bill Walton has passed away. He was a longtime San Diego resident. When I lived in Pacific Beach and spent a lot of time on the boardwalk I would often see him shooting baskets at South Mission Beach courts where he donated to maintain the baskets and nets and he would often ride his bike on the boardwalk. He maintained a residence near Balboa Park and was a lifelong community member. I enjoyed his commentary and remember his connection to John Wooden and the UCLA basketball dynasty. RIP.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Bill Walton, Hall of Famer and UCLA legend, dies at age 71

Also, interesting article about Walton’s back surgery that allowed him to return to normal activities. That back pain he experienced prior to surgery was ruining his life.

Also, interesting article about Walton’s back surgery that allowed him to return to normal activities. That back pain he experienced prior to surgery was ruining his life.

Guessing he did some self-medication lol.

God bless him, class act.

Bill Walton has passed away. He was a longtime San Diego resident. When I lived in Pacific Beach and spent a lot of time on the boardwalk I would often see him shooting baskets at South Mission Beach courts where he donated to maintain the baskets and nets and he would often ride his bike on the boardwalk. He maintained a residence near Balboa Park and was a lifelong community member. I enjoyed his commentary and remember his connection to John Wooden and the UCLA basketball dynasty. RIP.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Bill Walton, Hall of Famer and UCLA legend, dies at age 71

RIP, legend!

Nba All Star Sport GIF by NBA

That's a bit of a shock. When he was great, he was GREAT. A high energy defender and shot blocker, good scorer, and the best passing center of his era in his shortened NBA career. A great all-around team player. Against Memphis in the National championship game, Walton was 21 for 22 and 2 for 2 from the line. Almost a perfect game. Memphis couldn't stop Walton.

He's another athlete we were robbed of seeing and enjoying due to injury. Bo Jackson is the poster child in my lifetime so far. There have been countless others, many of whom we'll never know.

Reactions: No Chores and NJCat
He's another athlete we were robbed of seeing and enjoying due to injury. Bo Jackson is the poster child in my lifetime so far. There have been countless others, many of whom we'll never know.
Not because of injury, but because of his desire to do something for people in need - Roberto Clemente.

For me, the greatest baseball player I have ever watched. He did every aspect of the game with greatness: hit, run, great defense, great arm. Just an awesome talent that we were cut short of seeing.

I was a Reds fan growing up. Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson (along with a young Pete Rose) were the team stars at the time. Really loved the old Crosley Field. Roberto Clemente was a favorite even though he played for the Reds rivals the Pittsburg Pirates. Twi-night doubleheaders were the best back in the day.

Undergoing physical and occupational therapy now and for the foreseeable future recovering from multiple fractures from a fall. Pretty common as we age into our elder years. Feel fortunate my recovery is going well.

Bill Walton was the guest speaker at The October 2023 Eastern Orthopedic Meeting in Charleston SC. He was allotted 45 minutes for his speech, but his opening statement was that he was going to speak until he decided he was finished.

The speech was a rambling journey, reflecting his philosophy of life. I am not sure I remember any of his pearls of wisdom but he did speak for more than an hour, pacing back and forth across the front of room. The career ending problems with his feet were plainly obvious as he did not stand still for a minute during his talk.

Reactions: CatManTrue
I was a Reds fan growing up. Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson (along with a young Pete Rose) were the team stars at the time. Really loved the old Crosley Field. Roberto Clemente was a favorite even though he played for the Reds rivals the Pittsburg Pirates. Twi-night doubleheaders were the best back in the day.

Undergoing physical and occupational therapy now and for the foreseeable future recovering from multiple fractures from a fall. Pretty common as we age into our elder years. Feel fortunate my recovery is going well.
Been there--my best to you to recover completely.

I hope the healing continues. Stay off ladders! I may be driving a cane soon myself as I have some balance issues and am walking into objects. At least more so than I normally do.

Roberto Clemente is another excellent example of a brilliant career ended too soon.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts for my recovery. My fall came out of nowhere- fortunately I had been working out regularly before so that has aided my therapy/recovery (plus having great therapists and others working with me). I found out Bill Walton and I were born on the same month/year(Nov 1952) so his recent passing reminded me how brief a time we have here. Doesn’t seem that long ago I was watching movies at Tech or riding my bike on Sheridan Road. Where did half a century go?!😂

Reactions: No Chores
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts for my recovery. My fall came out of nowhere- fortunately I had been working out regularly before so that has aided my therapy/recovery (plus having great therapists and others working with me). I found out Bill Walton and I were born on the same month/year(Nov 1952) so his recent passing reminded me how brief a time we have here. Doesn’t seem that long ago I was watching movies at Tech or riding my bike on Sheridan Road. Where did half a century go?!😂
You rode your bike on Sheridan road? Ten years earlier, I and just a few others rode bikes on campus--at the time, bikes were something we did as kids.

You rode your bike on Sheridan road? Ten years earlier, I and just a few others rode bikes on campus--at the time, bikes were something we did as kids.
Yes I rode my bike and took long walks along Sheridan Road back in the early 70’s. I lived at Hinman as a freshman on the first floor corner unit and had a nice view of the road. I usually would walk/ride north along the lakefront. I was a member of our local AYH bike/hike club growing up and tried to maintain some level of activity to stave off the impact of all the deep dish pizza and alcohol I was consuming. My brother ended up back living on the North Shore after I left for San Diego. It was always fun going back to visit while he was living in the area. (He since moved to the Pacific NW.)

Yes I rode my bike and took long walks along Sheridan Road back in the early 70’s. I lived at Hinman as a freshman on the first floor corner unit and had a nice view of the road. I usually would walk/ride north along the lakefront. I was a member of our local AYH bike/hike club growing up and tried to maintain some level of activity to stave off the impact of all the deep dish pizza and alcohol I was consuming. My brother ended up back living on the North Shore after I left for San Diego. It was always fun going back to visit while he was living in the area. (He since moved to the Pacific NW.)
Evanston, among other such places, is a very lovely city, and so I wonder why everyone seems to be moving to the Pacific NW. Do they know something the rest of us don't?

Evanston, among other such places, is a very lovely city, and so I wonder why everyone seems to be moving to the Pacific NW. Do they know something the rest of us don't?
My brother and his wife spent their honeymoon in Washington state and moved to Bainbridge Island over 15 years ago from Glenview after raising their kids. They now live in Sequim, WA - my brother likes the microclimate there, a little less rain and a little warmer than Seattle. They always loved the area, they just didn’t want to uproot their family and careers in Chicago and relocate there until their kids were out of the home (well at least one moved with them initially.) I have other family who live in Portland and Eugene. I love to visit the PacNW but don’t know if I could ever leave SoCal for the cold&wet winters there.

It's the one part of the country I haven't seen, and I know I'd love it. The problem is I've been spoiled by Florida's warm winters. I need to become a snowbird and get back up north to do some fishing and other hobbies. I miss northern New England. There is so much I'd love to explore there. So many fond memories as well. And a river runs through it.

How did you live at Hinman as a freshman? I thought everyone had to live in those hideous, barren dorms.

It's the one part of the country I haven't seen, and I know I'd love it. The problem is I've been spoiled by Florida's warm winters. I need to become a snowbird and get back up north to do some fishing and other hobbies. I miss northern New England. There is so much I'd love to explore there. So many fond memories as well. And a river runs through it.
Parts of Northern Minnesota are like New England, only they are not New England.

How did you live at Hinman as a freshman? I thought everyone had to live in those hideous, barren dorms.
Back in the fall of 1971 there were freshmen at Hinman on the first floor and maybe elsewhere in the dorm. It was a mixture of male students from different class years at Hinman back then. The kicker for the football team, a senior, lived on the top floor. I remember he broke his leg, I think it was against ND. He spent the next months after having to navigate going up and down the staircase on crutches in order to make it to his room. It was a nice place to live.

Back in the fall of 1971 there were freshmen at Hinman on the first floor and maybe elsewhere in the dorm. It was a mixture of male students from different class years at Hinman back then. The kicker for the football team, a senior, lived on the top floor. I remember he broke his leg, I think it was against ND. He spent the next months after having to navigate going up and down the staircase on crutches in order to make it to his room. It was a nice place to live.
I lived in Hinman for 4 years, fall'74 to spring '78. Had the second floor south corner room the first 2 years, then the single on the 4th floor next to the sun deck looking out on Sheridan the 3rd, and the 2nd floor single between Hinman and Foster(?) my senior year. That was a great room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT