ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Walton has passed at 71

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
Bill Walton has passed away. He was a longtime San Diego resident. When I lived in Pacific Beach and spent a lot of time on the boardwalk I would often see him shooting baskets at South Mission Beach courts where he donated to maintain the baskets and nets and he would often ride his bike on the boardwalk. He maintained a residence near Balboa Park and was a lifelong community member. I enjoyed his commentary and remember his connection to John Wooden and the UCLA basketball dynasty. RIP.

——————————————————————
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Bill Walton, Hall of Famer and UCLA legend, dies at age 71

Also, interesting article about Walton’s back surgery that allowed him to return to normal activities. That back pain he experienced prior to surgery was ruining his life.

One of my favorite sports personalities. In a world with so much ego and arrogance he was a breath of fresh air

Reactions: NUCat320
One of my favorite sports personalities. In a world with so much ego and arrogance he was a breath of fresh air
He’d been teamed with Jason Benetti on Pac-12 hoops recently. Just a late night trip to come across them. Game didn’t matter at all, just fun to listen to two guys clearly having fun and *also* knowing things.

Pac 12 baseball championship was this weekend. Fitting that the conference and one of its most notable athletes would pass on together.

Last edited:
Reactions: NU Houston
I enjoyed how he rambled on going off course many times into divergent territories unrelated to the topic at hand. Bill and Charles are colorful basketball commentators I’ve enjoyed over the years. I also would observe Bill when he would attend SDSU basketball games when his son played there. All of the best to his wife and 4 sons who survive him. I hope San Diego will find a way to honor his long connection to our local community.

Reactions: drewjin and Sec.112
Was shocked to hear about his death. I did not know he was ill. He was one of the greatest college basketball players of all time. As a youth was fortunate to witness his undefeated UCLA team beat North Carolina State with David Thompson at the Chekerdome in St Louis.

Was shocked to hear about his death. I did not know he was ill. He was one of the greatest college basketball players of all time. As a youth was fortunate to witness his undefeated UCLA team beat North Carolina State with David Thompson at the Chekerdome in St Louis.
In case we're drifting too far from NU sports, Thompson's teammate on the NC State team was future MLB pitcher, Tim Stoddard, who later was a longtime pitching coach for NU baseball.

So sad to hear of Walton's passing. I was too young to see him in college, but my earliest NBA memories include Walton leading the Trailblazers to the NBA championship. He was always funny, curious and kind on broadcasts an in interviews. I am a fan of anyone upon whom one can bestow those three adjectives.

. He was always funny, curious and kind on broadcasts an in interviews. I am a fan of anyone upon whom one can bestow those three adjectives.
Sometimes he said “that was the woooorst shot in the history of basketball,” but your point generally stands.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
He was great for basketball fans of a certain age.
Lamentations about fundamentals (the lack thereof) always made me laugh.

Reactions: drewjin
The loaded NC State team also had 7’4” Tom Burleson and 5’7” Monty Towe and their marquee player was the superstar Thompson, yet the disciplined UCLA team led by Walton and coached by the great John Wooden prevailed.

Reactions: drewjin
In case we're drifting too far from NU sports, Thompson's teammate on the NC State team was future MLB pitcher, Tim Stoddard, who later was a longtime pitching coach for NU baseball.

So sad to hear of Walton's passing. I was too young to see him in college, but my earliest NBA memories include Walton leading the Trailblazers to the NBA championship. He was always funny, curious and kind on broadcasts an in interviews. I am a fan of anyone upon whom one can bestow those three adjectives.
100% agree. I was really saddened by his passing, but the way in which people described his sincere curiosity about the lives of others and his joy and kindness in navigating life was heartening and made me want to do better in my own.

Dead & Company band offers tribute to Bill Walton with photo montage while playing “Fire on the Mountain” at their concert at the Jewell in Las Vegas. Photos of Bill featured during the performance wearing many of his tie-die t-shirts and Dead concerts and with the band. Scroll to the end of the article to see the video. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: salukicat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT