ADVERTISEMENT

Blow to Illini, Cockburn Declares for Draft

Max_Power

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I would have had the Illini as one of the top teams in the conference if Ayo and Kofi had both come back. Even if Ayo had left, I though Cockburn's physical presence alone made them a top 4 team in Big10 next year. Now he is gone.

My Illini sophomore is scouring tapes of the incoming bigs for the Illini looking for hope (there is some). Does this mean the Illini are done? Nope. But the unexpected loss of 3 of the top 6 players is a rough go for any squad.

Reactions: Titanium999
I would have had the Illini as one of the top teams in the conference if Ayo and Kofi had both come back. Even if Ayo had left, I though Cockburn's physical presence alone made them a top 4 team in Big10 next year. Now he is gone.

My Illini sophomore is scouring tapes of the incoming bigs for the Illini looking for hope (there is some). Does this mean the Illini are done? Nope. But the unexpected loss of 3 of the top 6 players is a rough go for any squad.
Did Ayo declare?

doesn’t that just mean he can get input from the NBA on his status and then return to college if he decides to forego the draft? It is this different? He certainly seems like an amazing physical specimen, feels like he would’ve been high lottery 10 yrs ago at 7 ft 300 lbs of muscle and agility.

No he has not. Expected he will now.
Expect an official announcement soon, but he let the cat out of the bag 2 weeks ago. He's leaving the option open to return. The Illinois board has been freaking out during the last 2 weeks.

doesn’t that just mean he can get input from the NBA on his status and then return to college if he decides to forego the draft? It is this different? He certainly seems like an amazing physical specimen, feels like he would’ve been high lottery 10 yrs ago at 7 ft 300 lbs of muscle and agility.
Not if he's hired an agent.

You can hire an agent now as well and go back to college.

I am largely basing my info on what I get from my son. He thinks that Kofi is 100% gone. Waiting on Ayo. Griffin is already at Syracuse.

That said, they have 2 stud guards and a big coming in. Illinois is trending way up over the next few years.

NU will continue to struggle until it figures out the guard / wing issues going into next year. Not saying the answers are not on the roster already since Collins gets two solid guard / wings back.

When I first read the subject-line, I was like “Who is Blow? Were we recruiting him too?” It took me a second to figure it out. This quarantine isn’t doing me any good.
LOL. Didn't you hear about that 5-star recruit?

My name is Blow.... Joe Blow.

giphy.gif

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
I am largely basing my info on what I get from my son. He thinks that Kofi is 100% gone. Waiting on Ayo. Griffin is already at Syracuse.

That said, they have 2 stud guards and a big coming in. Illinois is trending way up over the next few years.

NU will continue to struggle until it figures out the guard / wing issues going into next year. Not saying the answers are not on the roster already since Collins gets two solid guard / wings back.

The Fighting Undies may be trending up long term, but they are not trending up next year if Ayo, Kofi and Griffin all leave. Studs or not coming in.

Reactions: willycat

Kofi is returning. It's all but guaranteed from what he's told our staff. Ayo is 60/40 return/stay from reports.

Then you will be very good. Those two leave and it’s back to the middle of the pack at best.
Meh. We'll be a top 40, top half big team without either of those two. Changing our defense, getting older, and landing studs will keep us relevant if they both decide to go pro.

Meh. We'll be a top 40, top half big team without either of those two. Changing our defense, getting older, and landing studs will keep us relevant if they both decide to go pro.
Losing your two best players and you will be a top 40 team. Really? Really?

Kofi is returning. It's all but guaranteed from what he's told our staff. Ayo is 60/40 return/stay from reports.

Just saw this, I'd love for Kofi and Ayo to come back. BC Griffin grew up with my kids (until his dad left the Bulls) it was a blow when he left but more bc we liked to root for him. At least my kid .

Yes. Two 4 star guards (I believe both are top 50) coming in. Athletic big (Pete Nance type kid but probably a better athlete).

Just be glad the Cats own the Illini in football.

Good for Kofi! Great size and talent but he could benefit from another year, IMO.
If in Kofi or Ayo's shoes, I'd go pro now. There is no guarantee there is even going to be a season this coming winter. I'd rest on my laurels of success over this past cut-off season and run to the pros asap. Take the money and give up the eligibility for college games. Hook onto the money and don't look back. My take on it.

If in Kofi or Ayo's shoes, I'd go pro now. There is no guarantee there is even going to be a season this coming winter. I'd rest on my laurels of success over this past cut-off season and run to the pros asap. Take the money and give up the eligibility for college games. Hook onto the money and don't look back. My take on it.

Definitely for Ayo. It's locked in for him right now and to play another year introduces uncertainty.

Kofi is a bit different...esp. if he can't play in the draft camps. But he may not want another year of college...low six figures in Europe may be more attractive if the NBA passes.

Only if those studs are really studs. Otherwise you are second half of Big without both of them.
You are exactly right. Anybody who thinks that roster can lose Ayo and Kofi and replace them with two 4* freshmen and still be a top half big ten team either missed the 2014-2018 seasons or is huffing paint.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
You are exactly right. Anybody who thinks that roster can lose Ayo and Kofi and replace them with two 4* freshmen and still be a top half big ten team either missed the 2014-2018 seasons or is huffing paint.

I mean, I’m a pretty down to Earth Illini fan, but top 40 (as one poster suggested) isn’t crazy at all ... we were arguably top 20 this year.

Illinois coaches expect Kofi to return. Not ready for NBA. 20 years ago, he would be a lottery pick, but his type of player is almost nonexistent in today’s NBA.

Ayo about 50/50 depending on what he hears from evaluations. I expect him to leave even if he is only projected for second round. Great kid.

Adam Miller is Mr. Basketball. Nice replacement for Ayo if he leaves. Or a great complement if Ayo stays.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Illinois coaches expect Kofi to return. Not ready for NBA. 20 years ago, he would be a lottery pick, but his type of player is almost nonexistent in today’s NBA.

Ayo about 50/50 depending on what he hears from evaluations. I expect him to leave even if he is only projected for second round. Great kid.

Adam Miller is Mr. Basketball. Nice replacement for Ayo if he leaves. Or a great complement if Ayo stays.
Well Ayo's father is quoted as saying that he's 99 % sure to go to the NBA. If true , Kofi will go as well.

Well Ayo's father is quoted as saying that he's 99 % sure to go to the NBA. If true , Kofi will go as well.
If I’m Ayo, I’m going either way. He’s far from a perfect NBA prospect, but as a pro basketball player it’s hard to imagine he can do much more in college to improve his stock. I’d jump now either way while he has his health. At worst, he can make a nice living outside of the NBA.

"Well Ayo's father is quoted as saying that he's 99 % sure to go to the NBA. If true , Kofi will go as well." On twitter Ayo's dad said it's 50/50.

We have a good coach, and our staff recruits. We'll be good again.

Kofi is 100% returning. Sounds like Ayo will likely go pro at this point. Sounds like the staff is in good with a couple transfers who will potentially pull their name from the draft too. Brandon Weston may reclass too, and we'll get him if he does.

We have a good coach, and our staff recruits. We'll be good again.

Kofi is 100% returning. Sounds like Ayo will likely go pro at this point. Sounds like the staff is in good with a couple transfers who will potentially pull their name from the draft too. Brandon Weston may reclass too, and we'll get him if he does.
And the Illini will lose more games then you did last season. Oh and win less games!

And the Illini will lose more games then you did last season. Oh and win less games!
Are you really in any position to try to talk down? I'm betting we still win 10+ games in conference, make the tournament, recruit well, and continue to improve our program. Can you say that?

Are you really in any position to try to talk down? I'm betting we still win 10+ games in conference, make the tournament, recruit well, and continue to improve our program. Can you say that?
Hope all that makes you feel better.

Ayo announces that he’s coming back to win a National Championship; Kofi expected to follow suit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT