ADVERTISEMENT

Blow to Illini, Cockburn Declares for Draft

Smart move by Ayo. Just another guy in the NBA or face of the team in college? Easy.
I think if “another guy in the NBA” was an option, he’d take that no question. Unfortunately he was projected to likely go undrafted so I think staying in college is the lowest risk option for now. That’s not without risk either, since there may not even be a season. I feel awful for anyone making decisions like this and navigating this kind of uncertainty.

I think if “another guy in the NBA” was an option, he’d take that no question. Unfortunately he was projected to likely go undrafted so I think staying in college is the lowest risk option for now. That’s not without risk either, since there may not even be a season. I feel awful for anyone making decisions like this and navigating this kind of uncertainty.
Wouldn't have guessed he was such a long shot to get drafted. Shows you what I know. o_O

I think he would have been drafted in the second round.

I think he would have been drafted in the second round.
Yeah I’d personally roll the dice on him if I was a GM. But it seemed like in mock drafts he wasn’t projected to even be a second rounder. Maybe he can play himself firmly into the second round (or even on to the end of the first round?) if he has a chance to play in March Madness and shows out.

Projected to finish last in the West in a poll of B1G writers. Well, at least one writer had the Fighting Lovie’s in 4th. That’s Lovie’s best team before they fall off a cliff again with all the graduates. Nice man, wrong job. Stick to basketball Rubble.
I mean, Lovie has gotten Tim Beckman results on the field. He costs double what Timmy was paid, but also doesn’t humiliate himself with all the other nonsense and shenanigans. (And you know, he hasn’t been caught in a player abuse scandal.) It was a risky hire that hasn’t paid off. I expect Lovie to “retire” after this year, and Illinois will go back to hiring the next MAC coach to be in over his head in the Big Ten.

Projected to finish last in the West in a poll of B1G writers. Well, at least one writer had the Fighting Lovie’s in 4th. That’s Lovie’s best team before they fall off a cliff again with all the graduates. Nice man, wrong job. Stick to basketball Rubble.
Better pack it up. B1G writers said Illinois will finish last. One of the writers was so informed that he said our offensive line was awful, but we return 4/5 of one of the highest rated OLs in the country. Just goes to show you that the material is only as good as the source - as you've made abundantly clear.

Better pack it up. B1G writers said Illinois will finish last. One of the writers was so informed that he said our offensive line was awful, but we return 4/5 of one of the highest rated OLs in the country. Just goes to show you that the material is only as good as the source - as you've made abundantly clear.
We are in the basketball board. Good ole Wiily switched up to Football and here we are. Free free to jump over to the football board and we can debate the effectiveness of that OL. You Illini fans really should stick to basketball where you have a good program. Winning Football is just not going to happen in CU.

We are in the basketball board. Good ole Wiily switched up to Football and here we are. Free free to jump over to the football board and we can debate the effectiveness of that OL. You Illini fans really should stick to basketball where you have a good program. Winning Football is just not going to happen in CU.
That's your problem, you return 4 turds.OMG!

Purple is the one who said: "He gone!!" See post 33. Guess you should stick to football. BTW, how did your last football season go? Forgot what place the kittens finished.....

Purple is the one who said: "He gone!!" See post 33. Guess you should stick to football. BTW, how did your last football season go? Forgot what place the kittens finished.....
Lol, worst record in the last two decades still handled the Lovie’s with the 4th string QB. I used to get psyched for the Illinois game, that was 25 years ago.

We're a golf and tennis school. Don't be jealous that we're more Northwestern than you are!

Our starting qb, 3 best wr's, 2 best rb's, best pass rusher, starting lb, starting cb, starting safety all out. you should win....

Was talking to my youngest who is looking at Illinois (my other son is already at U of I), told him he will be guaranteed two things if he goes to Illinois, one was a top 10 hoops team. The other one was a great apartment (seriously the apartment buildings in Champaign are insane). Things really broke for the Illini in the off season. I hope this team gets to see the floor, they could be crazy good. Only hit now is the loss of Griffin and Miller should easily fill that role.

Was talking to my youngest who is looking at Illinois (my other son is already at U of I), told him he will be guaranteed two things if he goes to Illinois, one was a top 10 hoops team. The other one was a great apartment (seriously the apartment buildings in Champaign are insane). Things really broke for the Illini in the off season. I hope this team gets to see the floor, they could be crazy good. Only hit now is the loss of Griffin and Miller should easily fill that role.
You forgot another guarantee. A losing season on the gridiron.

Reactions: DaCat
Our starting qb, 3 best wr's, 2 best rb's, best pass rusher, starting lb, starting cb, starting safety all out. you should win....

That wasn't a win. That was a drilling. Your OL was healthy to block for Dre Brown (good grinder RB), yet you couldn't generate a ground game - only 14 yards rushing.

Our injury situation was pretty severe as well - 2 best QB's out (Marty was our 4th string QB!), Top WR out for season, three best RB's out so that we had to move a freshman safety to RB. Azema ran all over the Illini on the way to 378 yards total rushing for the team.

One team was hungry for a win and came ready to play despite all the adversity they had gone through during the season. The other team seemed to rest on their bowl eligibility after six wins.

You forgot another guarantee. A losing season on the gridiron.

The constant futility of Northwestern basketball does not change the fact that the Illini, as the flagship state university of one of the nation's most populous states, are chronic athletic underachievers. They should be top 25 in BB year-in and year-out, and they've been ridiculous in football for most of the 21st century.

The constant futility of Northwestern basketball does not change the fact that the Illini, as the flagship state university of one of the nation's most populous states, are chronic athletic underachievers. They should be top 25 in BB year-in and year-out, and they've been ridiculous in football for most of the 21st century.
Bit of recency bias on basketball... from the 1980s-2008ish Illinois was the perennial top 25 team you describe. Of course the end of the Weber regime and the Groce tenure were very bad, as were the first couple years or rebuilding from the mess Groce left. But it looks like maybe those days are in the past now. Either way Illinois is #14 all time in wins (second only to IU in conference), that’s hardly underachieving.

Meanwhile, your description of Illinois football is too generous. Other than a stretch in the 1980s, Illinois has been very, very bad...I believe I recently saw that in the last ~30 years, Illinois has finished with 5 conference wins only 2 or 3 times.

Reactions: Gladeskat

Scoreboard! Our running back who destroyed your defense was a freshman safety. Coco Azema, say the name! :p

ADVERTISEMENT