ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games Have Fairly Sucked So Far

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
i haven’t watched them all, but what I have seen has been pretty bad.

That TCU - Cal game exhibited some of the worst quarterbacking I have seen since Rusty Lisch.

GA Tech was hideously bad vs a decent Minny team.

I watched a bit of Temple vs Duke—just enough to see Temple players drop three straight passes.

Wisconsin is besting the U at the half, but they have missed two FGs and just had a TD negated by a chop block. And the U looks inept on offense.

The best game was probably Wake Forest vs Memphis, but that one ended with a missed FG that should have sent it to OT.

That TCU - Cal game exhibited some of the worst quarterbacking I have seen since Rusty Lisch.

Wisconsin is besting the U at the half, but they have missed two FGs and just had a TD negated by a chop block. And the U looks inept on offense.

The best game was probably Wake Forest vs Memphis, but that one ended with a missed FG that should have sent it to OT.
Yes

Temperature in the high 30s (accounting for windchill) might be affecting the ‘Canes. I think it was colder than that in Nashville last year though.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
Temperature in the high 30s (accounting for windchill) might be affecting the ‘Canes. I think it was colder than that in Nashville last year though.

What’s affecting the Canes is that they are not very good. Their QBs might rival the TCU/CAL QBs for ineptitude.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
QUOTE="Fitzphile, post: 589897, member: 21069"]Duke and Wake would beg to differ.......[/QUOTE]
Wake was very lucky to win their game. Questionable strategy by Memphis. Down 1, they had a chipshot field goal in their pocket, but they ran the ball in for a TD with just over a minute left (looked like Wake might have let them score). Plenty of time for Wake to take it back down the field (against their weak defense) and pull the game out.

I watched a bit of Temple vs Duke—just enough to see Temple players drop three straight passes.

Bowl games have unfairly sucked so far.

The best bowl game to date was the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, or whatever it is called, between BYU and Western Michigan. The score (49-18) doesn't tell the whole story. It was like watching a no hitter with the BYU Quarterback Zach Wilson going 18 for 18 without an incompletion. If he hand't been pulled at the beginning of the 4th quarter he likely would have set a new record for any bowl as only one other quarterback in bowl history did better and that was 19 for 19. Incredibly some of those throws were for long yardage including one for 70 yards.

"Wilson finished the game completing every pass he attempted. He threw 18 passes ... and he completed 18 passes. And this wasn't one of those cases where a QB throws all of his passes at the line of scrimmage, either. Wilson's 18 throws picked up 317 yards, good for 17.6 yards per attempt. He threw four touchdowns, including a 26-yard scoring toss as well as a 70-yarder.

Wilson could do no wrong. He set a school record for consecutive completions in a single game with his 18 completions, passing the previous mark of 14 set by Steve Sarkisian in 1995 and Steve Young in 1982. The 18 consecutive completions came one short of tying the bowl record set by Mike Bobo at Georgia when he completed 19 straight passes in the 1998 Outback Bowl."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ing-from-qb-zach-wilson-leads-cougars-to-win/

They played hideously bad on some occasions this season, which didn't help perception of Northwestern's performance.
The nine season-ending jnjuries they had, starting with our game, prolly had a bit to do with this....

The nine season-ending jnjuries they had, starting with our game, prolly had a bit to do with this....

Prolly? That might be true, but does little to change the narrative of little Northwestern losing to Duke and Akron. At least Duke bounced back in their bowl. Did commentators who analyzed our defeat in the aftermath of the B1G title game make a big deal about the injuries at the back end of the NU defense? If they did, I must have missed most of it.

Baylor vs Vandy was a barn burner. Quite a reprieve from recent games.

Pleased with that result. I don't want to see our academic rivals have success and become more formidable foes against us on the recruiting front.

Pleased with that result. I don't want to see our academic rivals have success and become more formidable foes against us on the recruiting front.
Vandy may be a small private school playing in a Power 5 conference, but in no way are they NU's "academic rival". My daughter works in admissions at Vandy and their standards for athletes are pretty low.

1) Watered-down bowl system.
2) 3,4 weeks off between games. To wit, Army was off for just 2 weeks and they looked fabulous against a pretty good Houston team.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
1) Watered-down bowl system.
2) 3,4 weeks off between games. To wit, Army was off for just 2 weeks and they looked fabulous against a pretty good Houston team.
1) & 2) no different than any other recent year
3) Houston was a not a pretty good team this year.

I think these bowl tie in’s are making the match ups stale. Did we need back to back Wisconsin versus Miami Bowls? We almost got stuck with Kentucky again. The fact that some marquee players sit out doesn’t help the quality, but who could blame them.

Reactions: Noah121
Vandy may be a small private school playing in a Power 5 conference, but in no way are they NU's "academic rival". My daughter works in admissions at Vandy and their standards for athletes are pretty low.

I agree that is the reality but the perception among high school football recruits and their families is that programs like Duke and Vanderbilt are close academic proxies to NU. The reality is that for athletes they are not but all that matters is the perception.

1) & 2) no different than any other recent year
3) Houston was a not a pretty good team this year.

I think these bowl tie in’s are making the match ups stale. Did we need back to back Wisconsin versus Miami Bowls? We almost got stuck with Kentucky again. The fact that some marquee players sit out doesn’t help the quality, but who could blame them.
That is funny. To me it gives the games added meaning. I'm a B1G fan and I want to brag that my conference is better than their conference. A lot of bowls just seem to be random match ups. The rematch is an opportunity to build some rivalry into the games.

1. Maybe Syracuse-West Virginia won’t suck. Hasn’t so far.
2. According to a google maps, a Morgantown to Syracuse drive is 6 1/2 (irrelevant here, but stay with me) hours. A Morgantown to Ames drive is 13 hours, 5 minutes.
West Virginia’s closest conference game is twice the distance as a game against their intersectional bowl opponent. (And many ACC opponents are even closer.)

Realignment is the best.

That is funny. To me it gives the games added meaning. I'm a B1G fan and I want to brag that my conference is better than their conference. A lot of bowls just seem to be random match ups. The rematch is an opportunity to build some rivalry into the games.
How would you have felt to see Kentucky again this year? Not a rivalry and never will be. I prefer seeing a match up with Utah or a Big 12 team that you never see.

Prolly? That might be true, but does little to change the narrative of little Northwestern losing to Duke and Akron. At least Duke bounced back in their bowl. Did commentators who analyzed our defeat in the aftermath of the B1G title game make a big deal about the injuries at the back end of the NU defense? If they did, I must have missed most of it.

We didn't have 9 season- ending injuries to starters. Not even close. It does affect a team's performance, and the announcers did not stop mentioning it during Duke's bowl appearance.

We didn't have 9 season- ending injuries to starters. Not even close. It does affect a team's performance, and the announcers did not stop mentioning it during Duke's bowl appearance.

I think having three starters out in one position group against probably the best long passer in the nation might have affected Northwestern's performance a little. I'm sure that the injuries did affect Duke, but the average fan of a college team that didn't play Duke and didn't pay much attention to Duke doesn't have a clue about that. I've read multiple comments on sports thread about Northwestern losing to pitiful Akron and Duke. Might not be fair, but that is the perception.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT