ADVERTISEMENT

Braun’s Game Management Must Improve

AdamOnFirst

Nov 29, 2021
There are other things to criticize here (the left guard comes to mind), but for the second week in a row David Braun made a catastrophic game management decision deep in his own territory at the end of the first half. In this case, it wasn’t his first bad decision, the decision to attempt a very long, low percentage field goal (potentially outright outside our kicker’s reasonable range h instead of attempting doable 4th and 2 was a big momentum turn in a 0-0 game early.

These sorts of things added up big time today when the game remained competitive even as our offense failed to consistently execute and finish drives. He must improve.

There are other things to criticize here (the left guard comes to mind), but for the second week in a row David Braun made a catastrophic game management decision deep in his own territory at the end of the first half. In this case, it wasn’t his first bad decision, the decision to attempt a very long, low percentage field goal (potentially outright outside our kicker’s reasonable range h instead of attempting doable 4th and 2 was a big momentum turn in a 0-0 game early.

These sorts of things added up big time today when the game remained competitive even as our offense failed to consistently execute and finish drives. He must improve.
Yeah, he’s just inconsistent and inexperienced at making these calls because he’s been a defensive coach and is now a young head coach probably before his time.

He went from FCS coordinator to Power 4 head coach with almost NO preparation or mentoring. Much like Fitz was thrust into the role and made questionable calls at times early on.

Probably should have gotten a proven P4 OC that could help manage these offensive decisions, but my guess is that there wasn’t one willing to take the job for whatever we were willing to pay.

Last edited:
Is Skip Holtz no longer with the program? One has to wonder if that’s hurting Braun not to have the mentor.

Is Skip Holtz no longer with the program? One has to wonder if that’s hurting Braun not to have the mentor.

Holtz is gone. The B1G preview show also had a clip of Braun praising Genyk for his help on the sideline during game day. Harlan Barnett would be the veteran presence that could be beneficial to Braun in some of these situations.

Holtz is gone. The B1G preview show also had a clip of Braun praising Genyk for his help on the sideline during game day. Harlan Barnett would be the veteran presence that could be beneficial to Braun in some of these situations.
What the hell is Harlan doing then lol. I thought he did a good job in a tough spot at MSU too

Yeah, he’s just inconsistent and inexperienced at making these calls because he’s been a defensive coach and is now a young head coach probably before his time.

He went from FCS coordinator to Power 4 head coach with almost NO preparation or mentoring. Much like Fitz was thrust into the role and made questionable calls at times early on.

Probably should have gotten a proven P4 OC that could help manage these offensive decisions, but my guess is that there wasn’t one willing to take the job for whatever we were willing to pay.

A college coach of any sort is supposed to know more than we dummies at home. How was that not true at the end of the first half? Did someone’s 10-year-old hack into his headset? I just don’t get it.

I yelled at Braun and Lujan as they were walking off and they heard me so if this is fixed… you know why 😂

Brauns press conference was interesting saying most of the calls with his analytics staff are predetermined at their midweek meeting. That was interesting to me. Not sure I would’ve kicked a 52 yard field goal without knowing the direction of the wind at a Wednesday coaches meeting. That’s how he made it sound.

Brauns press conference was interesting saying most of the calls with his analytics staff are predetermined at their midweek meeting. That was interesting to me. Not sure I would’ve kicked a 52 yard field goal without knowing the direction of the wind at a Wednesday coaches meeting. That’s how he made it sound.
Not sure I'd have attempted a 52 yard field goal on 4th and 2 with a kicker who is quite good and accurate but appears not to have the leg to make a 52 yard field goal regardless of the wind.

A college coach of any sort is supposed to know more than we dummies at home. How was that not true at the end of the first half? Did someone’s 10-year-old hack into his headset? I just don’t get it.
It was his inner 10 year old

Not sure I'd have attempted a 52 yard field goal on 4th and 2 with a kicker who is quite good and accurate but appears not to have the leg to make a 52 yard field goal regardless of the wind.
It was Akers kicking and not Olsen. Not sure but thought he had a bigger leg than Olsen. He was player of the week last week and this week something else

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT