ADVERTISEMENT

Braun USA Today COTY

So if my quick count is correct, it took Barnett four years to win B1G COY (and again in year five,) Walker two years to win it, Fitz fourteen years to win it, and it took Braun one year.

This bodes well.

Well deserved accolade for coach DB. Really looking forward to see what he can do in the coming seasons, although the next several will be unforgiving with the stadium and the schedule looming.
Damn straight! The odds seem stacked against him but don’t sleep on Coach Braun. He continues to prove doubters wrong.

Damn straight! The odds seem stacked against him but don’t sleep on Coach Braun. He continues to prove doubters wrong.
All he has to do is get the recruiting back on track and improve it with hiring an innovative OC that shared his hunger for winning. We probably be need to be patient for a few more seasons. I looked at the 2024-27 schedules. We really get slammed through '26. We get stuck with Oregon for two years straight. 2025 is just as bad as '24. Every legacy team from the West will face a hard time making it to bowl eligiblity. I think we will be fine, but Purdue, Indiana, MSU, etc will have a really hard go of it. This isn't our daddy's B1G anymore!

Reactions: mickbula and DaCat
Unfair comparison. Cupboards were bare when Barnett and Fitz arrived. Not so with Walker and Braun.
I agree, somewhat. Each coach took over a very different program.

Nobody, since, has faced what Barnett had to deal with, and I hope nobody ever has to again. That was a phenomenal coaching job, unmatched and perhaps unmatchable by his successors.

Without the radical offensive changes in 2000, there was no way for the Cats to have been so successful. Trot out the 1999 team again the following season, with the same offense but with Kustok under center from the start, and the Cats are better, but not so dramatically better. Walker didn’t inherit a championship team, he shaped it. Don’t undersell what he and his staff pulled off.

Braun is still playing the reasonably good hand Fitz left for him, except for the defensive improvement, which he owns.

As for Fitz? I don’t think he inherited what Walker did, but I don’t think he inherited the tornado of chaos which Braun did either. I would have to go back and look at the roster when Fitz took over, but I don’t remember it being immeasurably worse than today. There are areas of strength on this season’s team, but a review of the board a few months ago would reveal major areas of concern.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: drewjin
As for Fitz? I don’t think he inherited what Walker did, but I don’t think he inherited the tornado of chaos which Braun did either. I would have to go back and look at the roster when Fitz took over, but I don’t remember it being immeasurably worse than today. There are areas of strength on this season’s team, but a review of the board a few months ago would reveal major areas of concern
Fitz had to replace Basanez, Philmore, Fields and Strief on offense, along with Cofield and McGarigle on defense. What sunk him in 2006 was the Brewfka disaster.

Reactions: TheBallCarrier
I agree, somewhat. Each coach took over a very different program.

Nobody, since, has faced what Barnett had to deal with, and I hope nobody ever has to again. That was a phenomenal coaching job, unmatched and perhaps unmatchable by his successors.

Without the radical offensive changes in 2000, there was no way for the Cats to have been so successful. Trot out the 1999 team again the following season, with the same offense but with Kustok under center from the start, and the Cats are better, but not so dramatically better. Walker didn’t inherit a championship team, he shaped it. Don’t undersell what he and his staff pulled off.

Braun is still playing the reasonably good hand Fitz left for him, except for the defensive improvement, which he owns.

As for Fitz? I don’t think he inherited what Walker did, but I don’t think he inherited the tornado of chaos which Braun did either. I would have to go back and look at the roster when Fitz took over, but I don’t remember it being immeasurably worse than today. There are areas of strength on this season’s team, but a review of the board a few months ago would reveal major areas of concern.
Statistically, we are exactly what our record indicates, just an above average team. Our rushing defense was the worst in the B1G this season for instance. Only our secondary stood out.

So if my quick count is correct, it took Barnett four years to win B1G COY (and again in year five,) Walker two years to win it, Fitz fourteen years to win it, and it took Braun one year.

This bodes well.
He is COTY because he did well under a unique set of circumstances. Inappropriate to compare how long it took people to get there

Wait, so Fitz left him a good hand on O? What exactly is the reasonably good hand that Fitz left him?

Wait, so Fitz left him a good hand on O? What exactly is the reasonably good hand that Fitz left him?
Veteran QB with an experienced backup. Solid and deep WR group. Capable RBs.

Give the Cats a good OL starting from the first game, and the stuff of a top 50 offense was already at NU, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Give the Cats a good OL starting from the first game, and the stuff of a top 50 offense was already at NU, in my opinion.
We were last in rushing in the B1G.

If by "deep" WRs, you mean all 3 starters? OK, because no one else did anything.

Bryant has been solid down the stretch, but, probably due to Pass Protection, he disappeared for long stretches of every game before his injury. Heck, H2 Wisc and H1 PU he didn't do much. Glad we have him, but he's probably not half B1G. Mayne. B1G has bad QBs

We were last in rushing in the B1G.

If by "deep" WRs, you mean all 3 starters? OK, because no one else did anything.

Bryant has been solid down the stretch, but, probably due to Pass Protection, he disappeared for long stretches of every game before his injury. Heck, H2 Wisc and H1 PU he didn't do much. Glad we have him, but he's probably not half B1G. Mayne. B1G has bad QBs
I would argue that OL play influenced a lot of the struggles. When defenders are reaching the QB untouched, it is fairly irrelevant if your starting QB looks like a Heisman candidate ahead of the season, and your RBs look like speedy, malevolent giants.

The Cats’ offense plays well when the line plays well. We saw flashes of that during the previous few weeks.

As for the WRs, you need to take that up with Braun. He was really upbeat about that position group in a recent press conference.

Edit: I ‘sensed’ (it wasn’t an area of focus) that the RBs got better at pass protection as the season went along, as well. Not everything is the OL’s problem.

I would argue that OL play influenced a lot of the struggles. When defenders are reaching the QB untouched, it is fairly irrelevant if your starting QB looks like a Heisman candidate ahead of the season, and your RBs look like speedy, malevolent giants.

The Cats’ offense plays well when the line plays well. We saw flashes of that during the previous few weeks.

As for the WRs, you need to take that up with Braun. He was really upbeat about that position group in a recent press conference.

Edit: I ‘sensed’ (it wasn’t an area of focus) that the RBs got better at pass protection as the season went along, as well. Not everything is the OL’s problem.
It’s all Braun, players had nothing to do with turnaround. They were finally unleashed, haven’t you heard?

It was abundantly clear that we were a completely different offense with or without Ben Bryant. So, you could credit Fitz for getting Bryant in the portal, but he certainly left a pretty bare cupboard when it came to QBs. The WRs were also two transfers and one original Wildcat coming back from injury. I'm not sure I remember any other WR catching a pass! (I'm sure there were some, but not very often). So, again, Fitz did get some good portal players, but seems to have done a terrible job in development of offensive talent.

I'm not even so sure that these portal guys would have looked the same if Fitz were still coach. Of course, I can't prove that, but I felt like the offense this year was more opened up then I can remember in a long long time.

It was abundantly clear that we were a completely different offense with or without Ben Bryant. So, you could credit Fitz for getting Bryant in the portal, but he certainly left a pretty bare cupboard when it came to QBs. The WRs were also two transfers and one original Wildcat coming back from injury. I'm not sure I remember any other WR catching a pass! (I'm sure there were some, but not very often). So, again, Fitz did get some good portal players, but seems to have done a terrible job in development of offensive talent.

I'm not even so sure that these portal guys would have looked the same if Fitz were still coach. Of course, I can't prove that, but I felt like the offense this year was more opened up then I can remember in a long long time.
The offense loosened up because we had an experienced QB. We still have the same OC as last year. It’s a whole new ballgame with recruiting. Every school in the country will need to use the Portal. We can hang our hopes on the best development program around ( code for we can’t land 4-5 star players) and even execute it fairly well, but it won’t be enough by itself to make us a top 20 program. I don’t foresee a time where we won’t have at least one transfer QB on the roster. The portal is a way to cover recruiting mistakes.

Fitz had to replace Basanez, Philmore, Fields and Strief on offense, along with Cofield and McGarigle on defense. What sunk him in 2006 was the Brewfka disaster.
Self inflicted wound. He had Bacher sitting on the bench behind that mess. A sign of things to come really

Sometimes I wonder what Hunter could have been for us or even Hilinski with good solid protection.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT