ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Ty Berry out for season

It is a big hit to the team to lose Berry, but I personally think we still have enough to win.

I'm always down for channelling Tom Thibodeau vibes...

4MZc77Cs0LhUQIH6dUDs4t_AfsSbU8w1a11ECEbr7yFTt7GVr5FH6g5BxbcxLTT3lTNgommPoHjfYZMiHwxwvyIA8NpQRTV8jCehCguWfKJGtrofsr2E-N0AnZyty785Hfvi9xxqQ6LSIY_fH8aEc__8q2kWWBWJOB-WBQ

NU's best 2-man combo was Berry/Nicholson.
NU's best 3-man combo was Berry/Buie/Nicholson.
NU's best 4 man combo was Berry/Buie/Nicholson/Barnhizer.
NU's best 5-man combo was Berry/Buie/Nicholson/Barnhizer/Martinelli

Unfortunately college basketball is not "plug and play."
The whole dynamic changes with Berry unavailable.

We can all sugarcoat it as much as we want, but this is crushing. When one of you put up a poll about who would be our number two guy this year behind Boo, I picked Ty. I said if Ty has a big year, this team will be special again.

He has and they have.

His three point shooting has been so huge for us and his defense and rebounding from the guard spot have also been a factor. Not to mention the drop off now in quality minutes the Cats have to put on the floor due to a lack of depth.

The guys may rally and find a way to squeak into the tourny still, but I think the odds are against us. None of the remaining games are gimmes, especially some very tough road games.

If Collins gets this group to the tournament, we are renaming the court after him.
Are you trying to kiss some SD arse?

I'm a diehard fan and it's not devastating to me. Feel horrible for Ty. But, they already won a game without him. No reason they can't win 4 more games with the schedule they have left. And that gets them into the tourney easily. 3 wins might even get them in.

And, you have easily become one of the most annoying posters on this site. Capiche?
Isn’t there a rock you can go hide under?

I’m not so sure any of Buie, Langborg or Martinelli are more than average defenders. That’s probably being generous as well. NU loses a lot defensively without Berry. The offensive impact shouldn’t be understated either. Sure, Martinelli can get his on that end of the floor, but NUs offensive success has been predicated on the spacing that Ty, Boo and Langborg create for the entire team. They set up a lot of mismatches and/or open threes. Martinelli doesn’t create that the same way Berry did.

Can NU find a way to grind out enough wins to get in the tournament? Sure. That’s still a definite possibility. But, I generally agree with the posters that point to the lost opportunity to make a deep run. With Berry, this team’s ceiling was the Final Four. Unlikely, but certainly possible if they got hot like they were for that 3 game run against Illinois, OSU and Purdue. Without Berry, this team’s ceiling is realistically a round of 32 exit.
In the 🧙‍♂️, we trust.

I’m not so sure any of Buie, Langborg or Martinelli are more than average defenders. That’s probably being generous as well. NU loses a lot defensively without Berry. The offensive impact shouldn’t be understated either. Sure, Martinelli can get his on that end of the floor, but NUs offensive success has been predicated on the spacing that Ty, Boo and Langborg create for the entire team. They set up a lot of mismatches and/or open threes. Martinelli doesn’t create that the same way Berry did.

Can NU find a way to grind out enough wins to get in the tournament? Sure. That’s still a definite possibility. But, I generally agree with the posters that point to the lost opportunity to make a deep run. With Berry, this team’s ceiling was the Final Four. Unlikely, but certainly possible if they got hot like they were for that 3 game run against Illinois, OSU and Purdue. Without Berry, this team’s ceiling is realistically a round of 32 exit.
Buie is easily an above average defender.

Reactions: Scangg and Cataria
I'm a diehard fan and it's not devastating to me. Feel horrible for Ty. But, they already won a game without him. No reason they can't win 4 more games with the schedule they have left. And that gets them into the tourney easily. 3 wins might even get them in.

And, you have easily become one of the most annoying posters on this site. Capiche?
If you’re not devastated, then you’re clearly not a diehard fan.

I’ve had both microfracture and meniscal repair at the same time and can confirm it’s devastating as far as knee surgeries go. Lots of empathy for Berry from the Truth.

Comprende?

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
I am starting to fell bad that Wildcatpn and CatManTrue are sparring over my use of the word "devastating" to describe the Ty Berry injury news.

As the Black Knight once said to King Arthur after his arm was lopped off "its nothing but a flesh wound..."

I am starting to fell bad that Wildcatpn and CatManTrue are sparring over my use of the word "devastating" to describe the Ty Berry injury news.

As the Black Knight once said to King Arthur after his arm was lopped off "its nothing but a flesh wound..."
Don’t feel bad my man. I actually feel bad that I’m obviously not a diehard fan since I’m not rolled up in a ball in a corner bawling my eyes out.

I deeply sympathize with Ty. He played a crucial role in the team, elevating their performance to an extraordinary level. His dedication during the offseason has led to consistent success on the offensive end, complementing his graceful shooting style. We cannot underestimate the substantial influence he had in terms of offense, defense, and rebounding. Regardless of the season's end result, Ty's contributions have greatly contributed to the team's overall excellence. He deserves immense recognition for his essential role in the team's tournament aspirations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT