ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm addressing Louisville rumors

catsattackfor3

Mar 2, 2011
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In the wake of this weekend&#39;s news out of Louisville, a reporter asked <a href="https://twitter.com/BoilerFootball?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@BoilerFootball</a>&#39;s Jeff Brohm about it. Here&#39;s what Brohm said. <a href="https://t.co/B99slDYAIo">pic.twitter.com/B99slDYAIo</a></p>&mdash; Purdue On BTN (@PurdueOnBTN) <a href="">November 12, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He is leaving. There was never a doubt he would take the Louisville job once it opened up. The only people who did not recognize this are delusional Purdue fans. Brohm is to Louisville what Frost is to Nebraska and what FItz is to NU.

He is leaving. There was never a doubt he would take the Louisville job once it opened up. The only people who did not recognize this are delusional Purdue fans. Brohm is to Louisville what Frost is to Nebraska and what FItz is to NU.
No doubt about it. His family never moved to West Lafayette. He will be decorating the Christmas tree in Louisville in between recruiting calls unless of course Louisville messes with the compensation because they had to pay Petrino 13-14 mil to leave.

There are a ton of delusional Purdue fans.

GOUNUII

So would Kevin Sumlin leave Arizona after one year to return home to Purdue? Supposedly he was actually Purdue's first choice at the time they hired Brohm. Had A&M launched Sumlin after the 2016 season he would be in West Lafayette right now but they kept him and Purdue was in no position to try and buy him out (could you imagine a coach leaving a SEC school like A&M for Purdue?). Now if Brohm leaves and Purdue gets that buyout money would they flip it to buyout Sumlin from Arizona? Would Sumlin leave the desert for his alma mater? Is Purdue in better shape than Arizona? Strange days ahead in West Lafayette

Last edited:
For Purdue's sake I hope they're working on the plan already so it's seamless. When Barnett left us I don't think his cab even made it to O'Hare when we announced Randy Walker.

Reactions: catsattackfor3
For Purdue's sake I hope they're working on the plan already so it's seamless. When Barnett left us I don't think his cab even made it to O'Hare when we announced Randy Walker.
Yep. I remember how astonishingly quick the Walker hire was. We clearly had him in place as a contingency plan already.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Not ruling out his candidacy says volumes. The only remaining decision in my mind is how many players-recruits he takes with him.
I hope he stays at Purdue. He has done so well there in a short period of time. The improvement of Purdue has been great for the conference, especially the West. I feel for all of the Purdue fans during this time of uncertainty.

So would Kevin Sumlin leave Arizona after one year to return home to Purdue? Supposedly he was actually Purdue's first choice at the time they hired Brohm. Had A&M launched Sumlin after the 2016 season he would be in West Lafayette right now but they kept him and Purdue was in no position to try and buy him out (could you imagine a coach leaving a SEC school like A&M for Purdue?). Now if Brohm leaves and Purdue gets that buyout money would they flip it to buyout Sumlin from Arizona? Would Sumlin leave the desert for his alma mater? Is Purdue in better shape than Arizona? Strange days ahead in West Lafayette

I hope they hire Sumlin because he doesn't scare me at all. Not saying coaching big-time college football is easy, but he had a lot of advantages at Texas A&M and could not hold onto recruits, especially quarterbacks. Some say he was a victim of racism among some TAMU alumni.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In the wake of this weekend&#39;s news out of Louisville, a reporter asked <a href="https://twitter.com/BoilerFootball?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@BoilerFootball</a>&#39;s Jeff Brohm about it. Here&#39;s what Brohm said. <a href="https://t.co/B99slDYAIo">pic.twitter.com/B99slDYAIo</a></p>&mdash; Purdue On BTN (@PurdueOnBTN) <a href=" ">November 12, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reminds me of Barnett.

I hope he stays at Purdue. He has done so well there in a short period of time. The improvement of Purdue has been great for the conference, especially the West. I feel for all of the Purdue fans during this time of uncertainty.

I feel for them also but they've got to realize this is not about Purdue, it's about the connection Brohm has to Louisville. Purdue can't compete with that. Brohm's departure does not mean all of the progress is for not. They have some positive momentum going that can be built upon by the next coach if they make the right pick. I would not go for a retread like Sumlin just because of the Purdue connection. I would first make a call into guys like Matt Campbell or Dino Babers to see if a Big Ten Head coaching job is enticing enough to make them move from jobs that otherwise would be viewed as a lateral move. If not, I would target an up and coming coach like Lance Leipold who is making waves at Buffalo after finally getting a chance to prove his dominant success at DIII Wisconsin Whitewater was not a fluke. Midwest ties and an innovative offensive mind should be attractive to a program like Purdue ( an Illinois for that matter but let's not tell them that).

Seems like the best bet for a school like Purdue is to find someone up and coming in the coaching ranks who already has a connection to the University/is an alum/is from the area. Otherwise any coach who has any degree of success and a tie elsewhere has the risk of jumping after a few years. In the Big Ten alone we have Harbaugh, Frost, Fitz, Chryst, and Meyer meeting that definition.

Is there anyone who meets that criteria for Purdue?

I was hoping for stayed too. The Purdue team is fun now and the games are entertaining. Used to be the worst game on our schedule. Plus he is exhibit A when referencing quick turnarounds that the likes of Lovie, PJ and Frosty haven’t been able to do. There fans hate it when Brohm is brought up.

Reactions: drewjin
I feel for them also but they've got to realize this is not about Purdue, it's about the connection Brohm has to Louisville. Purdue can't compete with that. Brohm's departure does not mean all of the progress is for not. They have some positive momentum going that can be built upon by the next coach if they make the right pick. I would not go for a retread like Sumlin just because of the Purdue connection. I would first make a call into guys like Matt Campbell or Dino Babers to see if a Big Ten Head coaching job is enticing enough to make them move from jobs that otherwise would be viewed as a lateral move. If not, I would target an up and coming coach like Lance Leipold who is making waves at Buffalo after finally getting a chance to prove his dominant success at DIII Wisconsin Whitewater was not a fluke. Midwest ties and an innovative offensive mind should be attractive to a program like Purdue ( an Illinois for that matter but let's not tell them that).

"not" ?

Call me a delusional Cat/Boiler fan (it's a coping mechanism I've had to employ numerous times to be a fan of both schools), but I'm not so sure he's going anywhere. To me, it sounds a lot like what he was saying last year when Tennessee came calling. First of all, Louisville is no Nebraska or NU. They almost lost their accreditation as a university a couple of years back. Sometimes, home is not a place, but a state of mind, and to hear Brohm talk, Purdue is the perfect fit for him. He sure does not fit the mold of the flashy Johnnies coaches of the past, that you found in Patino/Petrino. He's much more the no-nonsense type a la Keady/Tiller/Painter. Unless they feed him some kind of Phoenix hokum, I say he remains a Boilermaker!

Boiler Up!!! Go Cats!!!

Call me a delusional Cat/Boiler fan (it's a coping mechanism I've had to employ numerous times to be a fan of both schools), but I'm not so sure he's going anywhere. To me, it sounds a lot like what he was saying last year when Tennessee came calling. First of all, Louisville is no Nebraska or NU. They almost lost their accreditation as a university a couple of years back. Sometimes, home is not a place, but a state of mind, and to hear Brohm talk, Purdue is the perfect fit for him. He sure does not fit the mold of the flashy Johnnies coaches of the past, that you found in Patino/Petrino. He's much more the no-nonsense type a la Keady/Tiller/Painter. Unless they feed him some kind of Phoenix hokum, I say he remains a Boilermaker!

Boiler Up!!! Go Cats!!!

When Tennessee SUPPOSEDLY came calling.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018/3/23/17156386/tennessee-coaching-jeff-brohm-never-happened

Brohm is very good in front of a mic. What else do people expect him to say when it’s in his best interest to recruit kids to Purdue?

Louisville isn’t “just a job” for Brohm. It’s family.

PS — Nebraska also lost their AAU accredation in the midst of joining the B1G. Not quite the same, but similar. Awkward.

Drew Brees appears to be in a position to close out his playing career. Any chance he might return to Purdue as a coach?

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Drew Breeze appears to be in a position to close out his playing career. Any chance he might return to Purdue as a coach?

ZERO

Drew Brees is going straight to TV and will make millions.

As for Brohm, Louisville is a no brainer for him. He will win and win big there.

I don’t know about “never a doubt”... but yeah it certainly seems like the most likely outcome right now. Too bad for Purdue, delusional seems a bit strong, it was a reasonable hope that he’d built a connection there I think but probably not enough to override his Lville connection. But as you comment below — even if he leaves, he’s done a nice job bringing their program quickly back to respectability from where it was with Hazell.

I don’t know about “never a doubt”... but yeah it certainly seems like the most likely outcome right now. Too bad for Purdue, delusional seems a bit strong, it was a reasonable hope that he’d built a connection there I think but probably not enough to override his Lville connection. But as you comment below — even if he leaves, he’s done a nice job bringing their program quickly back to respectability from where it was with Hazell.

Never a doubt. There is nothing that Purdue has that Louisville doesn’t. Louisville is home for him and the University has been a part of his entire family for multiple generations. Purdue can’t match that.

Reminds me of Barnett.
Not me. Barnett practically swore on a stack of Bibles many times before he left for the dream job everyone knew he would take. I''m still a little pissed bit it helps me that his dream job was really NU after all.

Not me. Barnett practically swore on a stack of Bibles many times before he left for the dream job everyone knew he would take. I''m still a little pissed bit it helps me that his dream job was really NU after all.

What?

That and the fact that the football team is in a shambles, and, in my opinion, was only relevant in the last several years because of 1 player

The Pitino thing will pass. As far as football is concerned, you are ill informed. Louisville has been very good for a long time. You forget that they were very successful with Strong as their coach and Teddy Bridgewater as their QB well before anybody heard of Lamar Jackson. I think you’d be very surprised at how many players they have put in the NFL over the last 10 years. They have proven that a good coach can compete for conference championships in a P5 conference and recruit top notch players to the school. No one has proven recently that can be done at Purdue.

Are you kidding me? How young are you? Barnett "visited" all over the place claiming he was just evaluating other programs. It was always a thing and then he left.
He was great for the program but he was a loyal as we think Brohm is going to be. It is absolutely no different. Don't embarrass yourself.

Did you mean not a 'Fleck'?

Are you kidding me? How young are you? Barnett "visited" all over the place claiming he was just evaluating other programs. It was always a thing and then he left.
He was great for the program but he was a loyal as we think Brohm is going to be. It is absolutely no different. Don't embarrass yourself.

I’m well aware of the Barnett story. Your post didn’t make sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT