ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks Barnhizer Chooses NU

I want to be happy about this, but I can’t help thinking about what implications this has for our chances to land PBJ and Christie? We’re now down to one open scholarship for the 2021 class, right?

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy that we got a solid player. Just speculating how this will all play out...

I want to be happy about this, but I can’t help thinking about what implications this has for our chances to land PBJ and Christie? We’re now down to one open scholarship for the 2021 class, right?

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy that we got a solid player. Just speculating how this will all play out...

If both of them want to come, there will be room. Whether that’s Gaines not getting a 5th year, or otherwise.

No reason not to be STOKED that NU got another one of its top targets for the 2021 class. Just another talented player that Christie and PBJ will see in the fold.

It’s a good day for NU bball. Go Cats.

Wrong. Have you been hanging around EvanstonCat?

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
This is great news! Get good players, others will come. Congrats to the staff and especially to Brooks.

NU has never even gotten one recruit anywhere near has highly rated as either PBJ or Christie. Now you are worried about room because NU will land both?

Don't sweat it. There's always wiggle room with Gaines graduating in 2021 (5th year is always optional), and there's barely a program in the nation that doesn't lose a player or two to the transfer portal every year. That makes counting scholarships way different from what it was even five years ago.

Great get for the program! Looks similar to Miller Kopp, perhaps with better ball handling. Congrats to Brooks and the coaching staff!

Plays point guard, scores 20 ppg and almost 10 rebounds per game. At 6-6 he will be a versatile weapon for NU.

Great get for the program! Looks similar to Miller Kopp, perhaps with better ball handling. Congrats to Brooks and the coaching staff!

Yep, this seems about right. Kopp, only perhaps will come in as a freshman with a better ability to pump fake and drive, something that Kopp didn't really develop until he was forced into it as a sophomore.

With the current depth chart, he'd be the freshman backup to a senior-year Kopp, which seems ideal.

Yep, this seems about right. Kopp, only perhaps will come in as a freshman with a better ability to pump fake and drive, something that Kopp didn't really develop until he was forced into it as a sophomore.

With the current depth chart, he'd be the freshman backup to a senior-year Kopp, which seems ideal.
Really doubt that he'll be a freshman backup to Kopp as I pointed out in the other thread. They play different positions . Kopp is not capable of playing the point.

Really doubt that he'll be a freshman backup to Kopp as I pointed out in the other thread. They play different positions . Kopp is not capable of playing the point.

He could be a 3rd guard at the wing in a 3 guard lineup. He could also play either one of the other guard positions. I think that's what CCC really likes about the kid. BB's a gym rat for sure. Very versatile, high hoops IQ. Can knock down the 3, take it to the hoop and finish or get the ball to the open man. Reminds me of the kid who thought he was better off at Stanford. And when that didn't work out, thought he was better off transferring to ND the 2nd time around. I tend to forget the names of those kids. But I think he was from Pa.

I see more and more evidence that CCC is recruiting to length and versatility/skill/shooting regardless of traditional position concepts. Very smart IMHO.

GOUNUII

GOUNUII

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Reminds me of the kid who thought he was better off at Stanford. And when that didn't work out, thought he was better off transferring to ND the 2nd time around.
Cormac Ryan. I think he's a good comp for Barnhizer, who is an inch taller at 6-6 than Ryan, but both are combo guard types. Ryan went to prep school at Milton Academy just outside Boston, and is from NYC.

Ok. As GOUNUII mentioned below, he could be a "third guard" in a lineup with Berry/Buie + Audige/Roper. Either way, he's effectively playing the "3," which is where Kopp currently slots in as well. I agree their skillsets are not identical.

Ok. As GOUNUII mentioned below, he could be a "third guard" in a lineup with Berry/Buie + Audige/Roper. Either way, he's effectively playing the "3," which is where Kopp currently slots in as well. I agree their skillsets are not identical.
OK, but my point simply was that he won't be backing up Kopp as a freshman as you suggested. He will be looking for playing time as a guard because he can handle the ball, dish out assists etc., which Kopp cannot. I like Kopp a lot, but he's not a guard.

Reactions: Titanium999
OK, but my point simply was that he won't be backing up Kopp as a freshman as you suggested. He will be looking for playing time as a guard because he can handle the ball, dish out assists etc., which Kopp cannot. I like Kopp a lot, but he's not a guard.
Agreed! But Kopp shot around 40% last year! Great player!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT