ADVERTISEMENT

Brown & Benson

I don’t recall many bemoaning RI, Benson, even Falcon or Brown. The only one we ever got to see play was Ash, and some of Benson. But I think those five departures would beat our top five. So what does that say about the current state of affairs? Oh, and how many empty schollies are we sitting on?

would those guys win tonight? i am asking seriously. i don't think so

Reactions: willycat
would those guys win tonight? i am asking seriously. i don't think so

Nobody knows any more than any other prediction. It’s truly a fantasy sport argument.

I will still that RI, Benson, Fallon and Brown would play if they were using either of the currently empty schollies.

First, let’s assume a game w no subs and just look at starters:

Brown v Spencer — toss up
Ash v Gaines — Gaines
Kopp v Falzon — depends on the night
Nance v RI — skinny tall guys cancel each other
Benson v Young — depends on the night

CCC v not CCC — well, CCC is not proving to be a good game coach in general so...

The game on paper is a toss up on a neutral site.

The real problem is one side is the starting line for a B1G team and the other made up of castoff misfits. The B1G team should be a double digit favorite and that is what makes it embarrassing.

Ash v Gaines — Gaines

CCC v not CCC — well, CCC is not proving to be a good game coach in general so...

The real problem is one side is the starting line for a B1G team and the other made up of castoff misfits. The B1G team should be a double digit favorite and that is what makes it embarrassing.

So, a group of 4th and 5th year Collins' recruits is a toss up with first and second year Collins recruits.

I'll take this as recruiting continues to improve under Collins. Is that your point?

Reactions: EagerFan
So, a group of 4th and 5th year Collins' recruits is a toss up with first and second year Collins recruits.

I'll take this as recruiting continues to improve under Collins. Is that your point?

A group of castoffs misfits that arguably weren’t good enough to play P5 ball is a toss up w a B1G starting five. Just happens to be NUs starting five.

A group of castoffs misfits that arguably weren’t good enough to play P5 ball is a toss up w a B1G starting five. Just happens to be NUs starting five.

I'm sorry. That was yesterday we were arguing about all the P5 offers Collins recruits have received and so should be better players than they are. Hard to keep track.

Aaron Falzon had another day to forget today against Miami: 1-6 from the field for 3 points, no rebounds, 3 turnovers.

Aaron Falzon had another day to forget today against Miami: 1-6 from the field for 3 points, no rebounds, 3 turnovers.

The Maltese Falzon has had some serious injuries. I wish him the best, sorry that we couldn't see more of his healthy version.

Reactions: ricko654321
The Maltese Falzon has had some serious injuries. I wish him the best, sorry that we couldn't see more of his healthy version.
Yep. He had a promising Freshman year at NU before the injury bug bit. Hope he does well at QC.

Benson has been averaging 12.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, and one block a game so far for SIU. I liked Benson but was disappointed that he didn't develop more strength at center. He was pushed around too much like a Raggedy Andy doll.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Benson has been averaging 12.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, and one block a game so far for SIU. I liked Benson but was disappointed that he didn't develop more strength at center. He was pushed around too much like a Raggedy Andy doll.
Although BB's hair is a bit longer than Andy's.......
10111702sdaz-01-700x961.jpg

Happy for Barrett. So far, I'll still take Young over Benson, though. Jared Jones probably would be redshirting if Benson were still on the team, but we don't have that luxury. Next year, perhaps that incoming 6-11 kid could redshirt if Jones develops under fire this season.

Reactions: Gladeskat

Ash v Gaines — Gaines

Sorry but Spencer over Brown. Spencer has a team first mentality that Brown never had. And going forward, I would guess we will get to where it is not even close. Gaines has it all over Brown. Falzon had so many injury problems and so inconsistent that he is not hard to do without and while Kopp can be a little inconsistent,m he has a much more versatile game with much more upside and better health. Nance is coming on strong and looks like he will surpass RI. For right now it is closee Young has it all over Benson right now. That is not saying I would not rather have had a couple of those guys on the team for depth but the group we have currently is a better overall team

Any given night - two games of insights, plus Europe. I’m not so convinced that in three games, Young would dominate thrice.
You are talking about a RS Frosh with all of two games in vs a Sr. Based on his play against Providence, I will take a Frosh Young over a Sr Benson. Notice the fouls that Young did not get? I liked Benson and hoped to havee him this year our from under Pardon but I think we will be better off going forward with Young as he sees to fit in the role better

Reactions: DaCat
Any given night - two games of insights, plus Europe. I’m not so convinced that in three games, Young would dominate thrice.
All he needs is two out of three to be better. And while I would rather have had both, the extra minutes Young will get this year will likely be better overall down the road.

Meanwhile, Ivanauskas continues to light up the patriot league, seems like leaving NU does wonders for these kids
He was snake bit at NU and needed a change of scenery. Nothing against wither side. This was not CCC's fault or RI's. Glad it is working out for him.

seriously the board bemoaned these guys while here and now pine for them to come back :mad:
Because they were so good on the pine
You're presenting a false choice. This is CC's seventh year. A good developmental program at this stage should have solid players in all four classes and some team identity. That's been missing for three years now.
Sorry but we are not yet at the "reload" state.

I don’t recall many bemoaning RI, Benson, even Falcon or Brown. The only one we ever got to see play was Ash, and some of Benson. But I think those five departures would beat our top five. So what does that say about the current state of affairs? Oh, and how many empty schollies are we sitting on?
I would have like to see RI healthy but unfortunately while here, he never was

I would have like to see RI healthy but unfortunately while here, he never was

Rap had an okay night yesterday in their loss against Auburn, 12 pts on 6-17 shooting, 0-4 for three pointers, 4 rebounds. I like the progress of Nance so far this season and hope to see him continuing to improve.

Rap had an okay night yesterday in their loss against Auburn, 12 pts on 6-17 shooting, 0-4 for three pointers, 4 rebounds.
Man, you have a pretty low bar for "OK".......

But I agree with you on Nance. He played MUCH better against PC, more assertive on offense and was tough on the boards.

Ash v Gaines — Gaines

Straight up between the 2 teams in a 7 game neutral site series.

Gaines on Brown and Spencer on Ash is a double lock down. Advantage to current Cats at an average of 10 PPG. 19-9

Kopp is healthy and relatively consistent. Falzon is rarely healthy and anything but consistent. Also a huge defensive liability by comparison to Kopp. Advantage to current Cat at an average of 7 PPG. 13-6

Nance vs. Rapp? Who knows? I give the edge to Nance because he's taller and quicker and has had some success against much better competition than Rap faces. Advantage to current Cat at an average 3 PPG. 12-9

Young vs. Benson. Young is more skilled in every aspect of the game. Advantage to current Cat at an average 3 PPG. 12-9

56-33 average score sounds about right between 2 teams that are offensively challenged.. With a decided defensive advantage to the current Cats, low scoring blow outs would be the order of the day.

Benson - 9 pts, 3 boards and fouls out in 19 minutes in L against Murray State
Brown - 5 pts on 1-6 shooting with 0 assists and 4 fouls in W against Montana St.

Straight up between the 2 teams in a 7 game neutral site series.

Gaines on Brown and Spencer on Ash is a double lock down. Advantage to current Cats at an average of 10 PPG. 19-9

Kopp is healthy and relatively consistent. Falzon is rarely healthy and anything but consistent. Also a huge defensive liability by comparison to Kopp. Advantage to current Cat at an average of 7 PPG. 13-6

Nance vs. Rapp? Who knows? I give the edge to Nance because he's taller and quicker and has had some success against much better competition than Rap faces. Advantage to current Cat at an average 3 PPG. 12-9

Young vs. Benson. Young is more skilled in every aspect of the game. Advantage to current Cat at an average 3 PPG. 12-9

56-33 average score sounds about right between 2 teams that are offensively challenged.. With a decided defensive advantage to the current Cats, low scoring blow outs would be the order of the day.

Care to review after last night?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT