ADVERTISEMENT

Brown Gets OSU Offer

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
NU commit Earnest Brown got an offer from OSU, according to InsideNU,and plans to visit. That would spell the end of his offer at NU if Fitz stick to his principles.

I don't think it ends his offer, I just don't think we guarantee his spot anymore or consider him committed. He could still recommit if the spot is open.

NU commit Earnest Brown got an offer from OSU, according to InsideNU,and plans to visit. That would spell the end of his offer at NU if Fitz stick to his principles.

He's as good as gone. Maybe we could offer his gf a scholarship at NU since OSU is offering an NFL contract in 2-3 years. That would probably make his decision very tough. Wasn't it great to be 17 or 18 years old and sparkly things excited us so much?

On a more serious note, if you were Brown, why would you choose NU over OSU (again, not if you're you, but if you're Earnest Brown, big-time HS football recruit)? Anything you could mention (proximity to Chicago, classy administration, small class size) is trumped--by far--with OSU's counter-offer. OSU has renowned DL coach Larry Johnson, offers an elite NFL training ground, has a bankable track record of developing talent, and provides a weekly national stage. He would be foolish to turn down OSU based on those points alone. We offer academics and... umm... we have won one bowl game in 68 years and haven't won the conference in 16 years (and that was a shared title in a season without OSU on the schedule).

Would love to have Brown remain a Cat commit but nobody can begrudge him.

He's as good as gone. Maybe we could offer his gf a scholarship at NU since OSU is offering an NFL contract in 2-3 years. That would probably make his decision very tough. Wasn't it great to be 17 or 18 years old and sparkly things excited us so much?

On a more serious note, if you were Brown, why would you choose NU over OSU (again, not if you're you, but if you're Earnest Brown, big-time HS football recruit)? Anything you could mention (proximity to Chicago, classy administration, small class size) is trumped--by far--with OSU's counter-offer. OSU has renowned DL coach Larry Johnson, offers an elite NFL training ground, has a bankable track record of developing talent, and provides a weekly national stage. He would be foolish to turn down OSU based on those points alone. We offer academics and... umm... we have won one bowl game in 68 years and haven't won the conference in 16 years (and that was a shared title in a season without OSU on the schedule).

Why would Earnest have picked NU over Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, or any of the other offers he had that are similar to OSU in the first place?

NU academics and academic environment (especially in the context of a football player's opportunities) >>> OSU's

On a more serious note, if you were Brown, why would you choose NU over OSU (again, not if you're you, but if you're Earnest Brown, big-time HS football recruit)?

At NU, he's a big fish in a small pond. Second highest recruiting rating in the current NU 2017 class.

At OSU, he's a small fish in a pond filled with sharks. He'd be the next to last rated recruit on the #1 2017 recruiting list. And there are a bunch of 4 and 5* DE's ahead of him, including Bosa's little brother.

This 3* young man might make the NFL. But he'd get a great education at NU and have bright prospects in his non-NFL life.

If I was him, I'd commit to OSU on the spot. But he might regret it.

Ridiculous! You sound as though for scholarship athletes college is only a training program for the NFL. Anyone even marginally interested in NU knows better. Also, OSU does not have a monopoly on producing NFL players. Marty Long has sent guys to the pros as well, and he had less to work with then the OSU position coach. I hate when our so-called fans talk down our program; but to do it and just be wrong is ridiculous.

Reactions: jjjjjjj
At NU, he's a big fish in a small pond. Second highest recruiting rating in the current NU 2017 class.

At OSU, he's a small fish in a pond filled with sharks. He'd be the next to last rated recruit on the #1 2017 recruiting list. And there are a bunch of 4 and 5* DE's ahead of him, including Bosa's little brother.

This 3* young man might make the NFL. But he'd get a great education at NU and have bright prospects in his non-NFL life.

If I was him, I'd commit to OSU on the spot. But he might regret it.

There's some chatter on OSU boards as to whether his OSU offer is even "committable" at this point, a la Harbaugh. He could very well be a backup plan in Columbus that they want to "keep warm" if some of their higher-profile recruits head elsewhere.

This thread is insulting to Earnest Brown. GCG is right in that dOSU is only the latest in a long lineup of football factories trying to sway young Mr. Brown away from NU. I have no reason to believe that he will decommit.

No reason? "Brown said, "I'm still committed to Northwestern, but I'm interested in Ohio State. They were one of my favorite teams growing up. I'm going to try and get up there. I'll be talking to Ohio State on a regular basis." "

I'd say there is at least some reason. Whether or not he decommits remains to be seen. But he clearly is interested, and said so in so many words.

Why would Earnest have picked NU over Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, or any of the other offers he had that are similar to OSU in the first place?

NU academics and academic environment (especially in the context of a football player's opportunities) >>> OSU's

Yuk yuk yuk, who knew you were such a comedian, GCG? You know better than most that some of those offers may have been conditional (e.g., limited time only or as space permits at that position), and not every one of those schools recruited him hard. Obviously if Beck visited Brown and now Brown is visiting Columbus, this is a serious threat to NU given Ohio State's profile.

In what way do you feel that NU academics are superior to anybody in the Big Ten? You feel Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU don't have strong academic programs that stack up well against ours. In many areas, OSU, Michigan, and other big state schools have much better programs. It just depends. We have professors who actually teach classes, small class sizes, and students of a higher caliber overall, but don't try to sell me on the myth that a degree from Wisconsin or OSU is just plain cruddy compared to NU! (In fact, there are counter-arguments against each of NU's "advantages." Professors might teach classes, but they're huge classes even at NU and the prof is not readily accessible. Small class sizes are an advantage in a class with discussions and conversation, not lectures necessarily. Having students of a higher caliber is excellent but if you think the best and brightest at OSU or Michigan or Wisky don't match up well against our best, you're smoking something wacky.)

Here are a few indisputably GOOD reasons for picking NU over OSU:
- Maybe you have family in Chicago, like a sick relative, that you want to be close to during college.
- We have a much better "either or" in terms of city/surburban--if you like the city, it's really close, but if you like the burbs, Evanston fits the bill.
- Coach Fitzgerald will remember your name and treat you like more than a number.
- You will know your classmates instead of being lost among 60,000 people on campus.
- Maybe you are confident that you're so damn close you'll make it to the NFL no matter where you attend college, so you prefer to go to the school that the media considers to be better academically.

Ridiculous! You sound as though for scholarship athletes college is only a training program for the NFL. Anyone even marginally interested in NU knows better. Also, OSU does not have a monopoly on producing NFL players. Marty Long has sent guys to the pros as well, and he had less to work with then the OSU position coach. I hate when our so-called fans talk down our program; but to do it and just be wrong is ridiculous.

No, you're ridiculous. If you're a top flite recruit, you have to take OSU seriously. For the majority of recruits, even at NU, they believe the NFL is attainable and their college recruiters aren't doing anything to dispel that.

Coach Long is awesome. He would be a powerhouse at OSU. Nonetheless, he has not had the same track record as Johnson. Johnson has guys drafted highly every single year. Some years we are lucky to have a draftable DL. It's not Long's fault--as you point out--but I never said it was his fault. It's a function of the recruits available to us that are interested in NU. That mutual interest is a blessing but even that can be fouled up by the enticement of a Harbaugh or Urban Meyer.

Your post did a good job of "talking down our program" by itself. Ohio State may not have a monopoly but they OWNED the 2016 NFL Draft.

Should I introduce you to the world of big-time college football, or suggest some reading material? We had a good year last season and we're building a fantastic facility, so we're "in on" better recruits but it's no cake walk and the rea$on$ are $imple.

No reason? "Brown said, "I'm still committed to Northwestern, but I'm interested in Ohio State. They were one of my favorite teams growing up. I'm going to try and get up there. I'll be talking to Ohio State on a regular basis." "

I'd say there is at least some reason. Whether or not he decommits remains to be seen. But he clearly is interested, and said so in so many words.

Yeah except we know Fitz's "rule" about being "engaged" to his brides.

This stuff is why I don't write much here. The bad mouthing. There are many reasons people choose programs, and a large part is the connection with players/coaches. And yes, an NU degree is clearly higher rated than a Penn State degree and opens more doors, though any Big Ten degree is respectable.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
This stuff is why I don't write much here. The bad mouthing. There are many reasons people choose programs, and a large part is the connection with players/coaches. And yes, an NU degree is clearly higher rated than a Penn State degree and opens more doors, though any Big Ten degree is respectable.

The problem is, no other Big 10 school actually confers a degree more often than NU. Yes, you can get a good education and degree from many other Big 10 schools. Not all football players take advantage of this though, except at NU, where nearly 100% of players actually graduate.

I think recruits should also take into consideration the likelihood that when they attend a school like OSU they are more likely to suffer the consequences of being part of a program on probation/suspension with all the negatives that accompany that reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat In The Cradle
This is something that I just think Fitz will need to adapt to, It's the lay of the land now in college football, Perhaps, when our facilities are first class and we have a stadium that's nice and attendance that's at least respectable, he could stick to his unwavering view on recruits. For now, though I think he needs to be a little more flexible.

I only hope he stays committed if only to be able to revisit...ahem...wonderful posts such as this.

Reactions: NURoseBowl
I think recruits should also take into consideration the likelihood that when they attend a school like OSU they are more likely to suffer the consequences of being part of program on probation/suspension with all the negatives that accompany that reality.

This post is beyond stupid. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks so

The problem is, no other Big 10 school actually confers a degree more often than NU. Yes, you can get a good education and degree from many other Big 10 schools. Not all football players take advantage of this though, except at NU, where nearly 100% of players actually graduate.
Yes, and.
I would argue that while great degrees are available at all B1G schools, student culture at NU is TOTALLY different when it comes to academics across the board and especially within the football team. I'm not sure all 17 year olds are mature enough to appreciate it but it is tons more difficult to study and pursue the academic side of the college experience when a significant portion of your peer group is not concerned about "playing school". When everyone else is going out on a weeknight it's tough to stay in and study.

Some cultures lift up performance while other cultures tear it down.

I would agree that if you take the football team as a whole, NU players are more interested than OSU's players. But many OSU players also excel academically. It goes back to the individual, and I have to assume that if Brown qualified and was offered by NU, he would do well anywhere.

It's true that Brown doesn't come in the with same highschool accolades as some of the other Buckeye recruits, but that doesn't mean he has to take a back seat to anyone. The Buckete class is already running into severe numbers issues. If he was recently offered, then the Buckeye coaches must really like him.

As always, recruits typically pick the program that meets his needs and goals the most. If it is OSU (or anywhere else) he'll go there. If it's NU, he becomes a Wildcat.

The good news is that having the so called football powerhouses going after your recruits means you're getting some good prospects that could go anywhere- something many of you have been wanting. And if he decides to stay, you can feel confident that at least projection wise, he should be an impact player.

Reactions: 60657Cat
I would agree that if you take the football team as a whole, NU players are more interested than OSU's players. But many OSU players also excel academically. It goes back to the individual, and I have to assume that if Brown qualified and was offered by NU, he would do well anywhere.

It's true that Brown doesn't come in the with same highschool accolades as some of the other Buckeye recruits, but that doesn't mean he has to take a back seat to anyone. The Buckete class is already running into severe numbers issues. If he was recently offered, then the Buckeye coaches must really like him.

As always, recruits typically pick the program that meets his needs and goals the most. If it is OSU (or anywhere else) he'll go there. If it's NU, he becomes a Wildcat.

The good news is that having the so called football powerhouses going after your recruits means you're getting some good prospects that could go anywhere- something many of you have been wanting. And if he decides to stay, you can feel confident that at least projection wise, he should be an impact player.

As the resident OSU poster around here, wanted to run this by you: I've seen some chatter by OSU fans questioning whether Brown's OSU offer would be "committable" at this point. Any indication?

This post is beyond stupid. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks so

Probably not, but that just means you're not the only delusional person here.

Statistically speaking, if you end up at dOSU instead of NU, you are more likely to be a felon, to fail to graduate, to fail to earn any education whatsoever. Dem's the facts, Jack. The environment is causal. Of course, statistically speaking, you're more likely to end up in the NFL.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Statistically speaking, if you end up at dOSU instead of NU, you are more likely to be a felon, to fail to graduate, to fail to earn any education whatsoever. Dem's the facts, Jack. The environment is causal. Of course, statistically speaking, you're more likely to end up in the NFL.

I wonder what the statistical difference would be of going to the NFL, if any, if the same player attended NU instead of dOSU? In other words, if NU had the same 5-star recruits as dOSU, wouldn't that recruit most likely have the same chance of making it to the NFL? For example, NU recruited Ezekial Elliott. Think he would've have any less chance of making it to the NFL if he had chosen to attend NU? I personally don't think so. A QB from that football factory North Dakota State was picked in the first round for crying out loud. On the flip side, would a Dan Vitale or a Dean Lowry been buried in the depth chart at dOSU and never had a chance to get drafted?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
As the resident OSU poster around here, wanted to run this by you: I've seen some chatter by OSU fans questioning whether Brown's OSU offer would be "committable" at this point. Any indication?

You know, I haven't seen anything that says Brown has been offered by OSU besides the mention in the OP, but it may be the case none the less. If he was offered by rhe Buckeyes I would be surprised if the offer wasn't commitable. They currently have 2 DTs committed in a class in which they have already are stating to turn away from highly rated 4 and Maybe 5 Star prospects because of the numbers. To offer at this point in time means that the coaches really like what they see.

I wonder what the statistical difference would be of going to the NFL, if any, if the same player attended NU instead of dOSU? In other words, if NU had the same 5-star recruits as dOSU, wouldn't that recruit most likely have the same chance of making it to the NFL? For example, NU recruited Ezekial Elliott. Think he would've have any less chance of making it to the NFL if he had chosen to attend NU? I personally don't think so. A QB from that football factory North Dakota State was picked in the first round for crying out loud. On the flip side, would a Dan Vitale or a Dean Lowry been buried in the depth chart at dOSU and never had a chance to get drafted?

If Elliott played at NU he still gets noticed by the scouts, is still a college star, and is still a high draft choice. Maybe not 4th because he doesn't have the same offensive line and probably doesn't get the opportunity for the run he had 2 seasons ago against Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. The Ezekial's and Bosa's do the world will get the chance to play in the NFL wherever they go.

The guys who get the residual opportunity to play in the league as the result of being a Buckeye are sometimes the guys who aren't the stars. A big strong armed Cardale Jones maybe doesn't get drafted. An Adolphus Washington maybe goes in the fifth round instead of the fourth.

A Boom Herron who only runs for 1155 yards his Junior year then gets suspended and only runs for 600 yards as a senior probably doesn't get drafted if not at OSU. Or a Nate Ebner who never played highschool football, walks on as a Junior, never starts a game In college; probably doesn't even get a chance to be an undrafed free agent- much less get drafted in the 6th round by the Patriots (he's still there by the way), if not a special team's demon as a Buckeye.

I know I've had this argument here before but there is the potential for more exposure and an understanding of who else you have to battle for playing time that works as an advantage in many cases. Of course that's weighed against the possibility that you don't get to play because you may have the skill set to be a pro, but Ezekial Elliott or Joey Bosa is ahead of you on the depth chart.

On the whole I would agree with you, statistically speaking. But if you're a good kid with a good head in his shoulders, and the academic chops, then you don't have to worry about the negatives that you mention while still being more likely to end up in the NFL.

I'm not sure all 17 year olds are mature enough to appreciate it but it is tons more difficult to study and pursue the academic side of the college experience when a significant portion of your peer group is not concerned about "playing school".

Too true but not exactly important to a kid who dreams of playing in the NFL and has Urban Meyer on his voicemail. It's not always "maturity." It sounds like you're saying only immature idiots would choose OSU.

Statistically speaking, if you end up at dOSU instead of NU, you are more likely to be a felon, to fail to graduate ... Of course, statistically speaking, you're more likely to end up in the NFL.

Yeah, the NFL, where you might last three years and still wind up a felon.

We have recruited plenty of guys who wound up with the Buckeyes--like Michael Bennett and Pat Elflein, to name two recent ones--and they're still good citizens, as far as I know. I don't buy the idea that OSU corrupts innocent angels. I also abhor the "crap in, crap out" theory. It almost has a racial undertone.

If anything, kids get into trouble at OSU simply because the priority is on football, so the coaches and staff are focused on winning, not developing good young men.

But don't pat our coach on the back. "Developing good young men" won't insulate Fitz if he can't win, either. There's such a fine line between "winning at any and all costs" and "winning as a product of everything else good you do for a talented athlete" but both involve winning.

I know I've had this argument here before but there is the potential for more exposure and an understanding of who else you have to battle for playing time that works as an advantage in many cases. Of course that's weighed against the possibility that you don't get to play because you may have the skill set to be a pro, but Ezekial Elliott or Joey Bosa is ahead of you on the depth chart.

Yeah but no kid worth his salt is going to run away from competition. If you're a top flight recruit, you believe in yourself and think you can beat out Bosa or Elliott. If you don't believe that, you won't amount to much no matter where you go.

Yeah but no kid worth his salt is going to run away from competition. If you're a top flight recruit, you believe in yourself and think you can beat out Bosa or Elliott. If you don't believe that, you won't amount to much no matter where you go.

Feeling a little prickly tonight, are we?

You can't help but to attack the poster. You're so "Northwestern clever."

When you stop making ridiculous observations about recruits such as "he's as good as gone" when you have zero idea what you're talking about, perhaps I will post in a manner that is more to your liking.

Too true but not exactly important to a kid who dreams of playing in the NFL and has Urban Meyer on his voicemail. It's not always "maturity." It sounds like you're saying only immature idiots would choose OSU.
No, I'm saying it is easier to study when your friends are studying and harder to study when they are partying. NU kids across the board study more than other kids at other B1G schools. That, apparently is a difficult concept to grasp.

What exactly is a non-committable offer?

There's some chatter on OSU boards as to whether his OSU offer is even "committable" at this point, a la Harbaugh. He could very well be a backup plan in Columbus that they want to "keep warm" if some of their higher-profile recruits head elsewhere.

What exactly is a non-committable offer?

A load of BS.

On a more serious note, some programs (ahem, Michigan) have taken to offering recruits but making it clear they wouldn't accept their commitment at that time. Basically telling a kid "we think you're good enough to play for us, but there are other guys we think are better than you. We would like to keep you on a sort of wait list, in case we want you later." Hence "non-committable." And a load of BS.

Reactions: epicbret
ADVERTISEMENT