ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Feldman Comments on Northwestern Recruiting

BleedingPurple15

Oct 3, 2017
New York, NY
From The Athletic:

"Northwestern relied on some shrewd player evaluations to help the Wildcats win the Big Ten West this season. The Wildcats start seven players whose only Power 5 offer was from Northwestern. Among them are RB Isaiah Bowser and Montre Hartage, their best DB. This year, Pat Fitzgerald’s team had the nation’s No. 46 class. It’s the highest they’ve been ranked since the 2001 class was No. 26. There are no players ranked higher than three stars in this group, but six who signed Wednesday got their first Power 5 offer from the Wildcats — WR Wayne Dennis, OG Conrad Rowley, DE Adetomiwa Adebawore, OG Dominick D’Antonio, OLB Bryce Gallagher and DB Cameron Mitchell.Fitzgerald and recruiting coordinator Chris Bowers have proved to have a keen eye for talent. Keep an eye on Adebawore, an explosive 6-1, 250-pounder with long arms, whose height might have scared off some schools, and D’Antonio, who is only in his second season playing football."

https://theathletic.com/725893/2018...n-compiled-the-nations-no-5-recruiting-class/

Reactions: ricko654321
From The Athletic:

"Northwestern relied on some shrewd player evaluations to help the Wildcats win the Big Ten West this season. The Wildcats start seven players whose only Power 5 offer was from Northwestern. Among them are RB Isaiah Bowser and Montre Hartage, their best DB. This year, Pat Fitzgerald’s team had the nation’s No. 46 class. It’s the highest they’ve been ranked since the 2001 class was No. 26. There are no players ranked higher than three stars in this group, but six who signed Wednesday got their first Power 5 offer from the Wildcats — WR Wayne Dennis, OG Conrad Rowley, DE Adetomiwa Adebawore, OG Dominick D’Antonio, OLB Bryce Gallagher and DB Cameron Mitchell.Fitzgerald and recruiting coordinator Chris Bowers have proved to have a keen eye for talent. Keep an eye on Adebawore, an explosive 6-1, 250-pounder with long arms, whose height might have scared off some schools, and D’Antonio, who is only in his second season playing football."

https://theathletic.com/725893/2018...n-compiled-the-nations-no-5-recruiting-class/
Well, half that team with a "keen eye" for talent is going to EIU> I hope that there were more than two people with a keen eye for talent.

Well, half that team with a "keen eye" for talent is going to EIU> I hope that there were more than two people with a keen eye for talent.

Well... kind of. Either way, I'm very confident that Ayeni, McGarigle, and others will continue on just fine. It's hard to oversell how good Ayeni is as a recruiter.

Last edited:
Well, if we are 46th in recruiting and in the top 20 in the polls, that suggests we are doing something right.
If like normal, generally not a lot of difference between say 30 and 60 so while it is exciting to see us ranked this high, hard to say it is much different that a normal Fitz class. Throw in an additional guy who is a 4 star recruit on top of this class and it is suddenly about #30. Take one of those three stars and make him a two star and we are at 55

Add in a 5 star Qb like Hunter Johnson and where do we rank? In the 20s? This is a great class. Need a grad transfer Rb.
Need a RB. Not sure it needs to be a grad transfer. It would help to get us through this year with more experienced depth but we would likely need another RB recruit next year on top of the one we have.

Add in a 5 star Qb like Hunter Johnson and where do we rank? In the 20s? This is a great class. Need a grad transfer Rb.
But he is not in this class, The closest class you could say he is in is last year's class raising it's rating

Need a RB. Not sure it needs to be a grad transfer. It would help to get us through this year with more experienced depth but we would likely need another RB recruit next year on top of the one we have.

Besides Vault (who had a very limited impact, including zero carries in the B1G title game), the entire scholarship group returns next year and Bowser has three years left, four for Anderson. Don't know that we "need" one.

We can keep our aim high rather than taking a guy to take a guy.

Besides Vault (who had a very limited impact, including zero carries in the B1G title game), the entire scholarship group returns next year and Bowser has three years left, four for Anderson. Don't know that we "need" one.

But that "entire scholarship group" is pretty thin. Larkin's gone, Moten's had trouble staying healthy, and Jesse Brown is a mystery. Bowser and Anderson are the only ones I feel we can count on, and that's a pair with very limited experience.

But that "entire scholarship group" is pretty thin. Larkin's gone, Moten's had trouble staying healthy, and Jesse Brown is a mystery. Bowser and Anderson are the only ones I feel we can count on, and that's a pair with very limited experience.

It's four guys. Most places will carry four or five scholarship RBs. A grad transfer could/would be quite helpful, but not sure you're going to get an impactful guy after seeing how much of the workload Bowser has carried since the redshirt officially came off.

You forgetting that we lost Larkin? Hanaoke is also graduating. Basically we are down 3 guys with no one (not even a PWO) coming in. As far as scholarship RBs we are down to Bowser, Anderson, Moten and Brown and both Brown and Moten have shown to be injury prone. Also we tend to have an O that relies heavily on the run and for the RBs to be descent blockers. While Moten will be back, other than a couple plays (one in IL game and one in BTCG) he has really disappeared over the last two years. I think Brown has also pretty much been on the shelf for the last year as well. It is also a position that backups tend to show up on special teams and that is another area subject to injuries. We really only "know" about one RB right now as the others are pretty much question marks. In short, RB is an injury prone position and we are very, very thin. So I would suggest we "Need"one

Last edited:
You forgetting that we lost Larkin? Hanaoke is also graduating. Basically we are down 3 guys with no one (not even a PWO) coming in. As far as scholarship RBs we are down to Bowser, Anderson, Moten and Brown and both Brown and Moten have shown to be injury prone. Also we tend to have an O that relies heavily on the run and for the RBs to be descent blockers. While Moten will be back, other than a couple plays (one in IL game and one in BTCG) he has really disappeared over the last two years. I think Brown has also pretty much been on the shelf for the last year as well. It is also a position that backups tend to show up on special teams and that is another area subject to injuries. We really only "know" about one RB right now as the others are pretty much question marks. In short, RB is an injury prone position and we are very, very thin. So I would suggest we "Need"one

That's why I said "scholarship group," which would be Moten, Brown, Bowser, and Anderson. Larkin's retirement was clearly baked in.

The point is more that we shouldn't "take a guy to take a guy," we should maintain sufficiently high standards while preserving proper roster management.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
It's four guys. Most places will carry four or five scholarship RBs. A grad transfer could/would be quite helpful, but not sure you're going to get an impactful guy after seeing how much of the workload Bowser has carried since the redshirt officially came off.
Two have been pretty big question marks in Moten and Brown. We have only seen glimpses of Anderson. Only one we really are sure about what he can do.

Two have been pretty big question marks in Moten and Brown. We have only seen glimpses of Anderson. Only one we really are sure about what he can do.

If by "we" you mean message board denizens, yeah. The coaches have seen a hell of a lot more than us.

That's why I said "scholarship group," which would be Moten, Brown, Bowser, and Anderson. Larkin's retirement was clearly baked in.

The point is more that we shouldn't "take a guy to take a guy," we should maintain sufficiently high standards while preserving proper roster management.
And Moten and Brown have really not shown up much in the last couple years plus we really don't know much about Anderson yet. Really shocked that our targets did not see the opportunity once Larkin went down.

Always need one considering at one time we were playing our 6th string RB.

Vault was really put in at RB because we needed someone showing that our depth was not there. Now he is graduating as well as Hanaoka. We started last year with 7 guys (8 including Vault) and we will be down to 4 and you do not see that as being thin? I agree you want guys that can contribute but we are really pretty short for a injury prone position

Reactions: NUCat320
Going into next year we probably have the smallest or one of the smallest RB groups in the BIG. And much as we depend on that group, it is a concern.

Didn't Vault have one carry in the B1G championship game?

Always need one considering at one time we were playing our 6th string RB.

"This extremely weird/bad luck thing happened one time so we have to be prepared for it" is a very bad way to manage a roster.

And Moten and Brown have really not shown up much in the last couple years plus we really don't know much about Anderson yet. Really shocked that our targets did not see the opportunity once Larkin went down.

Because Bowser literally took the opportunity and ran with it.

Vault was really put in at RB because we needed someone showing that our depth was not there. Now he is graduating as well as Hanaoka. We started last year with 7 guys (8 including Vault) and we will be down to 4 and you do not see that as being thin? I agree you want guys that can contribute but we are really pretty short for a injury prone position

Four or five scholarship RBs plus a couple walk-on's is pretty typical.

"This extremely weird/bad luck thing happened one time so we have to be prepared for it" is a very bad way to manage a roster.

It's happened with RB's at least twice lately: Last year and 2013. At one point, we were down to Hanrahan at RB against Nebraska in 2013.

I agree with the view that it would be a pretty decent idea to get another RB if we can find one, and would agree that we are slightly thinner in terms of quality talent than would be ideal as RB is a decently injury prone position. Not saying compromise our standards (as taking a bad guy doesn't really help anything), but it would be worth searching around to any available grad transfers and pursuing them where possible. I am fairly confident this is something the staff would already have done...

“Scholarship group” is a pretty intellectually dishonest term here, considering a walk-on was the #2 back for the back half of the season.

Brown has never been healthy, and Moten hasn’t been healthy since his freshman season.

Bowser appears bankable, and the rest of the group has 139 carries in five-plus seasons — less than what Bowser got in his first five starts.

It would be insane for NU to not sign a running back in February. I suspect you agree, but that it’s also fun to get hdhntr fired up.

Moten (118 carries, 25 games, 3 seasons)
Brown (9 carries, 13 games, last year, and I don’t know that he played this season)
Anderson (12 carries, 2 games)

“Scholarship group” is a pretty intellectually dishonest term here, considering a walk-on was the #2 back for the back half of the season.

Brown has never been healthy, and Moten hasn’t been healthy since his freshman season.

Bowser appears bankable, and the rest of the group has 139 carries in five-plus seasons — less than what Bowser got in his first five starts.

It would be insane for NU to not sign a running back in February. I suspect you agree, but that it’s also fun to get hdhntr fired up.

Moten (118 carries, 25 games, 3 seasons)
Brown (9 carries, 13 games, last year, and I don’t know that he played this season)
Anderson (12 carries, 2 games)

Would love them to sign one, so long as he’s actually a good prospect and not simply “filler” at the end of a class.

Would love them to sign one, so long as he’s actually a good prospect and not simply “filler” at the end of a class.
Basically, you and hdhntr agree.

It’s late, and a holiday weekend, and your boss is already at the in-laws’ house - you should knock out a few minutes early.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I agree with the view that it would be a pretty decent idea to get another RB if we can find one, and would agree that we are slightly thinner in terms of quality talent than would be ideal as RB is a decently injury prone position. Not saying compromise our standards (as taking a bad guy doesn't really help anything), but it would be worth searching around to any available grad transfers and pursuing them where possible. I am fairly confident this is something the staff would already have done...

I think your “slightly thinner than ideal” is the best way to put it.

Moten has shown the ability to eat up some carries when healthy and his burst (see Illinois 2016, OSU 2018) gives the opposition a different type of style deal with when Bowser needs a breather.

Brown and Anderson are still question marks, but that’s not that uncommon for many programs outside of the two deep. Drake got limited, but valuable experience under his belt this year and should develop as time goes on. There’s reason to be optimistic.

So yeah, if that staff finds a great fit at running between now and February (or later), that would be a plus. If not, that’s cool too. Just keep bringing in the best prospects that fit that program. NU isn’t nearly as needy in the backfield as they were say five years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT