ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Kirtz Watch - WATCH HIM COMMIT TO THE CATS!

Every time I read his name I think of Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now......

latest

I was waiting to pull this one out. Hopefully our Kirtz will inflict lots of suffering on the opposition.

Reactions: NJCat
Can't take his place but can take his position.
and both Markshausen and Carr literally came out of nowhere and made their mark. No harbinger along the way, just hard work and skill. and a QB who looked for them

Haven’t been many that tore it up. Well over 10 years ago it was Dwayne Bates. More recent vintage, Ross Lane and Mark Philmore have the best stats.

Really? Bates for sure.

I would have thought Sam Simmons over the two you mentioned. Along with Ebert, Markhausen, and of course Carr.

Back in the day it was Gissendaner and Buchanan.

Reactions: nu greek
Really? Bates for sure.

I would have thought Sam Simmons over the two you mentioned. Along with Ebert, Markhausen, and of course Carr.

Markshausen and Carr both had literally zero impact as freshmen, which was the question.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Really? Bates for sure.

Both were excellent - I loved Giss, who won the Silver Football for best player in The Big Ten. But, you forgot about Curtis Duncan, who was also great. After graduating from NU, he played for about 10 years for the Chargers with Dan Fouts and some other very good receivers.

Both were excellent - I loved Giss, who won the Silver Football for best player in The Big Ten. But, you forgot about Curtis Duncan, who was also great. After graduating from NU, he played for about 10 years for the Chargers with Dan Fouts and some other very good receivers.

Pretty sure Duncan played with Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers.

Haven’t been many that tore it up. Well over 10 years ago it was Dwayne Bates. More recent vintage, Ross Lane and Mark Philmore have the best stats.
We have had a couple QBs that converted to WR and did well but not as Frosh because they were still trying to make it as QBs.

Markshausen and Carr both had literally zero impact as freshmen, which was the question.

I was responding to who was tearing it up. If we're talking about freshmen, Bates was recruited as a QB and redshirted and didn't play until a Sophomore.

Pretty sure Duncan played with Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers.
Yep. He was one of the Oilers' "Run and Shoot" receivers in the late 80's and early 90's. He still lives here, and I had a chance to visit with him at the Rice game a few years back. A very nice guy.

Reactions: nu greek
So what I'm hearing is that not many true freshman WRs have had a great impact at NU. My sense is that this recruit could be the exception to the rule. That is a pretty exciting possibility so let's just enjoy waiting to see. Wouldn't be a shame if we had to wait till he was a sophomore to see him set a record? or two?

Reactions: NUCat320
It’s very hard for true freshmen WRs to play in college. A lot of additional responsibilities and complexity, not the least of which is their blocking responsibilities.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and DkeCat
It’s very hard for true freshmen WRs to play in college. A lot of additional responsibilities and complexity, not the least of which is their blocking responsibilities.
No doubt. Still, Hunter is as highly regarded as we have seen in a long time.

Yep. He was one of the Oilers' "Run and Shoot" receivers in the late 80's and early 90's. He still lives here, and I had a chance to visit with him at the Rice game a few years back. A very nice guy.

The fastest player I ever saw in an NU football uniform. Seriously fast.

GOUNUII

The question was on Recent Freshman impact WR’s. I believe Bates has close to 1000 yards as a Freshman. I’ll check.

During spring practice of Bates' freshman year, injuries rendered a position move from quarterback to receiver to add depth to the scout team after injuries.[3] Bates' collegiate debut came during an away game against Notre Dame at Notre Dame Stadium, a memorable experience for Bates, who grew up idolizing Rocket Ismail and the Fighting Irish.[2] Entering the game, Bates and the Wildcats were 28-point underdogs to the ninth-ranked Fighting Irish. In the third quarter, Bates caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Steve Schnur stretching the NU lead to 17-9. Northwestern would hold on to win and stun Notre Dame, 17-15.[4] Bates continued to excel throughout his freshman campaign, helping lead Northwestern to the 1996 Rose Bowl, where he had seven receptions for 145 yards in a losing effort. Bates finished 1995 with 49 catches and 889 receiving yards, both Northwestern and Big Ten Freshman Records. For his efforts, he was named second team All-Big Ten.[5]

The definition of “10 years” now stretches to the 80s.

The best freshman receiver (pass catcher) NU has had in the last decade is Danny Vitale, who caught 28 balls in 2012. He was a truly remarkable talent. Unheralded nationally, and a no-doubt contributor the moment he arrived in Evanston.

Christian Jones caught 16 in 2011, and Leesus got 15 last season. Ebert got 15 in 2008. Colter would have been the best had he played the full season as a true freshman- he had 43 catches during his remarkable near 500/500/500 sophomore campaign, but only one catch when pressed into duty in the final three games as a freshman.

Kirtz might be a great player for NU. But history suggests it won’t be until 2020.

The game was so different in the 90s - Bates averaged 18 yards per catch, just an unheard number these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Paul Flatley should be remembered in this thread. Richmond, IN product, 3 year starter who was a Pro Bowl NFL PLAYER. A leader of the 1960 or 1961 team that was ranked #1 in the country for a couple of weeks mid season. Vikings fourth round draft pick.

You just named guys that were far from an immediate impact. I think we should reign in our expectations for a true freshman. He hasn’t even started his Senior year in HS. What we do know us we got a player with excellent potential that exhibits difference maker skills at this point.
Look no further than Flynn Nagel. Played as a true freshman.

During spring practice of Bates' freshman year, injuries rendered a position move from quarterback to receiver to add depth to the scout team after injuries.[3] Bates' collegiate debut came during an away game against Notre Dame at Notre Dame Stadium, a memorable experience for Bates, who grew up idolizing Rocket Ismail and the Fighting Irish.[2] Entering the game, Bates and the Wildcats were 28-point underdogs to the ninth-ranked Fighting Irish. In the third quarter, Bates caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Steve Schnur stretching the NU lead to 17-9. Northwestern would hold on to win and stun Notre Dame, 17-15.[4] Bates continued to excel throughout his freshman campaign, helping lead Northwestern to the 1996 Rose Bowl, where he had seven receptions for 145 yards in a losing effort. Bates finished 1995 with 49 catches and 889 receiving yards, both Northwestern and Big Ten Freshman Records. For his efforts, he was named second team All-Big Ten.[5]
But again, he was a RS Frosh

Paul Flatley didn't (couldn't) play as a freshman. This thread is about freshman impact receivers.

OK, players who started in their first year of university eligibility. A player of Flatley’s era didn’t learn timing routes and precise route running in HS. So the comparison should stand when the 1960-62 athlete actually was a pioneer in these routes before the practice routines of today. CREDIT IS DUE, not relegation to a “yesteryear” category.

OK, players who started in their first year of university eligibility. A player of Flatley’s era didn’t learn timing routes and precise route running in HS. So the comparison should stand when the 1960-62 athlete actually was a pioneer in these routes before the practice routines of today. CREDIT IS DUE, not relegation to a “yesteryear” category.

Huh?

So what I'm hearing is that not many true freshman WRs have had a great impact at NU. My sense is that this recruit could be the exception to the rule. That is a pretty exciting possibility so let's just enjoy waiting to see. Wouldn't be a shame if we had to wait till he was a sophomore to see him set a record? or two?
Can this recruit make a big impact while at NU? Good chance. His Frosh year, likely not.

Sorry but it was his second year in the system. It is hard for a true frosh WR to make a BIG impact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT