ADVERTISEMENT

Cable, apps and streaming

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
This situation with Peacock and watching our last game made me wonder about the direction things are heading esp watching sporting events like college football games. We’ve gone from old school antennas to cable to subscribing to apps to stream shows and events with some coming back full circle to digital antennas to watch local stations that may not be available on some apps. I’ve been ok sticking with cable until recently. As more customers have abandoned their cable subscriptions for streaming apps the price of cable service has risen significantly (I’m currently with Spectrum for WiFi, cable and cell service.) Over time I’ve picked up other services like Amazon Prime and Apple+. I liked the convenience of cable and having a single menu to search the schedule. Now viewing is very splintered, although there are options to view on demand on your own schedule. It seems like streaming apps are upending traditional cable so I’m reviewing my options including shedding cable. Just curious what other board members are doing to contain costs while still being able to access content at a reasonable cost with convenient viewing options. I don’t think it will get any cheaper. I also just cancelled a Disney+ combo subscription when they raised their rates.

This situation with Peacock and watching our last game made me wonder about the direction things are heading esp watching sporting events like college football games. We’ve gone from old school antennas to cable to subscribing to apps to stream shows and events with some coming back full circle to digital antennas to watch local stations that may not be available on some apps. I’ve been ok sticking with cable until recently. As more customers have abandoned their cable subscriptions for streaming apps the price of cable service has risen significantly (I’m currently with Spectrum for WiFi, cable and cell service.) Over time I’ve picked up other services like Amazon Prime and Apple+. I liked the convenience of cable and having a single menu to search the schedule. Now viewing is very splintered, although there are options to view on demand on your own schedule. It seems like streaming apps are upending traditional cable so I’m reviewing my options including shedding cable. Just curious what other board members are doing to contain costs while still being able to access content at a reasonable cost with convenient viewing options. I don’t think it will get any cheaper. I also just cancelled a Disney+ combo subscription when they raised their rates.
I switched from DirectV to Youtube TV about a year ago. No problems whatsoever. Saved me about $100 a month initially but like you I think these streaming services will continue to increase their price. Youtube TV is a pretty good deal right now. We'll see how long it lasts.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I switched from DirectV to Youtube TV about a year ago. No problems whatsoever. Saved me about $100 a month initially but like you I think these streaming services will continue to increase their price. Youtube TV is a pretty good deal right now. We'll see how long it lasts.

I did this too, very satisfied with YouTube TV (fun to see sports in HD LOL). Even having to spring for Marquee Network streaming still saving a lot over Direct TV.

Reactions: corbi296
It seems to me that the differing approaches are converging in cost. Cable is becoming unattractive because their content is being squeezed - fewer movies in particular. Comcast runs the same group of movies and old syndicated TV series constantly. I keep cable out of habit and not wanting to damage any brain cells figuring what other streaming services have. Plus my wife hates change and she pays the bills. Comcast cable is dying, however, as no one wants to give them content without extracting blood. Just a matter of time.

I switched from AT&T U-verse to YouTube TV this past summer and have no regrets. I liked AT&T U-Verse, but the price increases drove me away.

My biggest qualm with YouTubeTV is that it doesn't include the regional sports channel that has the regular season Rockets and Astros games. I'd pay extra for NBA League Pass, but the Rockets games are blacked out in the area. I'd also pay extra to be able to directly purchase and stream the regional sports channel, but that's not an option, at least right now. I assume that MLB and NBA will move towards owning the rights to broadcast their games in the local market, eventually cutting out the middleman (Comcast, Direct TV, Fubo, etc.) and providing a direct streaming service to the customer.

My other headache with U-VerseTV is that it's hard to record only one show at a time. For example, the NU vs Iowa game is on Big Ten in 60 tomorrow morning. I'd like to record that one episode, but instead it makes me record the entire series, including all the other weekend games that I don't care about.

Reactions: corbi296
Cut the Cable 10 years ago. Shop for best ISP, which may/may not be cable company. Stream mostly Netflix but have Disney+ for our 10YO. Then add Hulu beginning of CFB and end when CBB (NU season) ends. Those are the only two sport I watch and 90% Cats.

Yeah, $300/month for Xfinity with all the sports options (plus internet). There must be a better way, although I don't have a smart TV, although it may make sense to buy one for the savings on service.

I have local cable with pretty much everything and for some of the extras I have Netflix. Included with the cable is cellphone and internet. It aint that bad. Seems like I am missing a few good shows on Paramount and Hulu, while on the other hand Amazon Plus would give me a lot of benefits when I shop at Amazon. But I won't do more than two. At some point is enough is enough. This is one of the few times I want consolidation of companies to take place!

Yeah, $300/month for Xfinity with all the sports options (plus internet). There must be a better way, although I don't have a smart TV, although it may make sense to buy one for the savings on service.
You should switch to YouTube TV and keep cable with Xfinity or somewhere else. It would probably save you $150 a month. I am no expert but I think you can buy a fairly inexpensive fire stick to be able to use your existing TV to get streaming services.

Get a ROKU and switch to YouTube TV or if Sports is your main content look into FUBO. You can get a month trial free. I cut over $100 a month off my bill. The disadvantage is the buffering time to switch between apps. It’s takes a little longer than just changing the channel with Comcast.

You do not need a new TV. You can get a streaming device that plugs into an HDMI port. The most popular are the Roku, Firestick and Chromecast. You probably already have a similar software inside your xfinity box anyway. I have tried it and did not like it, some apps were not available, etc. Preference depends on the user. I use a firestick as the Roku does not allow 3rd party apps and the Chromecast used to not have a remote.

Added bonus, and I can't stress enough how happy that makes me, it allows me to use just one remote for everything on my TV. No TV remote, no sound bad remote, just a Firestick remote for everything.

You do not need a new TV. You can get a streaming device that plugs into an HDMI port. The most popular are the Roku, Firestick and Chromecast. You probably already have a similar software inside your xfinity box anyway. I have tried it and did not like it, some apps were not available, etc. Preference depends on the user. I use a firestick as the Roku does not allow 3rd party apps and the Chromecast used to not have a remote.

Added bonus, and I can't stress enough how happy that makes me, it allows me to use just one remote for everything on my TV. No TV remote, no sound bad remote, just a Firestick remote for everything.
Thanks you, which option was it that you did not like?

Here's a good rundown of the various streaming devises: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-media-streamers/

They are inexpensive, like $50. Sometimes discounted.

Before you buy one, just make sure your tv doesn't have this capability already built in. But even if it does, you still may prefer the user experience of one of these devises.

I have a Chromecast for one TV and Roku for two others. All of them have remotes that can replace your regular TV remote. You can also control them from your phone. The user experience isn't that different between the two, in my opinion. I think the Chromecast does a better job of putting the shows and apps that you tend to watch upfront.

It seems to me that in order to get rid of cable, you have to do these things...

1. Have reliable, high speed internet. (not sure how Xfinity or U-Verse stacks up with T-Mobile or Verizon)
2. Get a Tv that runs Roku or similar OR buy a streaming device that attaches to your "not so smart tv."
3. Buy an HD antenna for $20-25 and search for the local "over the air" channels. No extra monthly fee.

4a. Download apps like FoxSports or Peacock or Paramount or Netflix and pay subscription fees as necessary to stream their content. (plus the internet cost)
OR
4b. Subscribe to something like YouTube TV or Sling or Hulu and then its sorta like cable, with a menu of streaming channels and a monthly cost of about $75... (plus the internet cost)

Is that generally how people have done this? I use Xfinity high-speed internet, ROKU-based tvs and whatever apps are worthy.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
It seems to me that in order to get rid of cable, you have to do these things...

1. Have reliable, high speed internet. (not sure how Xfinity or U-Verse stacks up with T-Mobile or Verizon)
2. Get a Tv that runs Roku or similar OR buy a streaming device that attaches to your "not so smart tv."
3. Buy an HD antenna for $20-25 and search for the local "over the air" channels. No extra monthly
4a. Download apps like FoxSports or Peacock or Paramount or Netflix and pay subscription fees as necessary to stream their content. (plus the internet cost)
OR
4b. Subscribe to something like YouTube TV or Sling or Hulu and then its sorta like cable, with a menu of streaming channels and a monthly cost of about $75... (plus the internet cost)

Is that generally how people have done this? I use Xfinity high-speed internet, ROKU-based tvs and whatever apps are worthy.
I also switched to YouTube TV. Very happy with it. I hated Spectrum when I was with them. Along with that I have prime, Hulu, Disney Netflix.

3. Buy an HD antenna for $20-25 and search for the local "over the air" channels. No extra monthly fee.

OR

Almost - some slight tweaks:

1. Yes. This is the place to start.
2. If you have a so-called Smart TV, you don't need Roku or a similar device. If your TV lets you install the Netflix app, YouTube, etc., then you are set. If not, you need to plug in a Roku, Chromecast, or similar device.
3. Yes, but you don't need to do this if you subscribe to Youtube TV, Sling, etc. You only need the antenna if you don't get local channels from another source.

4a and 4b. Yes, sort of.

Youtube TV, Hulu*, Fubo, and Sling provide live TV, just like standard cable. They have slightly different channels and features. You don't need these, but obviously if you want to watch live sports, you will want one of them. These tend to be more expensive (like $70/month; sling is less)

Then there are the apps that don't have live programming, but have a nice catalog of material: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney, HBO Max, Apple TV, etc.** These tend to be less expensive ($5-$20/month)

Some services have a cheaper price and shows have ads, plus a more expensive version without ads.

*Hulu has both a live TV version and a version that just has their on-demand catalog.

**More apps are now including some live content. Apple, Amazon, etc. are adding live sports. HBO now has some CNN content.

Thanks you, which option was it that you did not like?
I did not like the xfinity box. I think they called it "flex" or whatever it was. There were apps that were not available in it.

Firestick, Roku or Chromecast you can download all the apps you might need. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, Max, Prime, Paramount+, Peacock, Apple TV+, Youtube TV, Fubo, Sling, etc.

I switched from AT&T U-verse to YouTube TV this past summer and have no regrets. I liked AT&T U-Verse, but the price increases drove me away.

My biggest qualm with YouTubeTV is that it doesn't include the regional sports channel that has the regular season Rockets and Astros games. I'd pay extra for NBA League Pass, but the Rockets games are blacked out in the area. I'd also pay extra to be able to directly purchase and stream the regional sports channel, but that's not an option, at least right now. I assume that MLB and NBA will move towards owning the rights to broadcast their games in the local market, eventually cutting out the middleman (Comcast, Direct TV, Fubo, etc.) and providing a direct streaming service to the customer.

My other headache with U-VerseTV is that it's hard to record only one show at a time. For example, the NU vs Iowa game is on Big Ten in 60 tomorrow morning. I'd like to record that one episode, but instead it makes me record the entire series, including all the other weekend games that I don't care about.
The Sinclair (Bally's sports) problem is slowly resolving. Sinclair in bankruptcy and barely keeping things together for rest of the year. Next year, the rights revert back to the teams. NBA and other leagues looking at taking over the broadcast rights and selling local rights directly to audience (no blackouts) down the road. MLB experimenting with this with Padres next year.

Another vote for YouTubeTV. Switched from DISH to it mainly to be able to watch the CATS. There was nothing on DISH that we cared about. Also use Netflix for movies.

I use Hulu + live tv for college football and college basketball season. I turn it off right when CBB is over. I save a good chunk from April - August.

He is getting so old he probably still has a CRT

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT