ADVERTISEMENT

Cale Millen

Yes I think it would be more ethical. Because it would mean that his decision had actually been changed by a specific option rather than a more general “well, I don’t know what I want to do but I just know I don’t want to be at NU anymore.”

Choosing another specific option/offer really make it “ethical,” but at least makes it a little more... maybe “explicable?”

Bet you he decommited specifically for Oregon and he will be a duck by end of next week

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
And guess what happened today? Good luck to him.

Yep. And there’s another three star in this class, a five star in last years class, and another four star in the 2017 class. And that’s not counting what’s coming next year.

While I don’t ‘blame him’ like others do for leaving his NU commit, I hope he never sees the field for the Ducks and is yet another cautionary tale for those who think they’re just too good to actually be caught up in the numbers game.

Reactions: StreamCat
Yep. And there’s another three star in this class, a five star in last years class, and another four star in the 2017 class. And that’s not counting what’s coming next year.

While I don’t ‘blame him’ like others do for leaving his NU commit, I hope he never sees the field for the Ducks and is yet another cautionary tale for those who think they’re just too good to actually be caught up in the numbers game.
I don't wish him ill. He proved he's a quack.

Reactions: iskaboo
Interesting development...I wonder how No-commitment Cale’s decision will impact 4 Star QB recruit Michael Johnson (who’s father happens to be a member of the Oregon staff)?

Don’t wish him ill either. But it has ALWAYS bothered me to see kids rushing to be the third or fourth four star QB or RB on a team, when common sense tells you there will be more coming right in behind them. They can’t all play, yet they keep lining up to sit. Millen would have every opportunity to have been starter for us NEXT season (2019). Right now, he’s the fifth highest rated QB on that roster, with U of Os recruiting of that position meaning it’s not unlikely that he will never rises above that level.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Don’t wish him ill either. But it has ALWAYS bothered me to see kids rushing to be the third or fourth four star QB or RB on a team, when common sense tells you there will be more coming right in behind them. They can’t all play, yet they keep lining up to sit. Millen would have every opportunity to have been starter for us NEXT season (2019). Right now, he’s the fifth highest rated QB on that roster, with U of Os recruiting of that position meaning it’s not unlikely that he will never rises above that level.
I don't always agree with all your perspectives but man, you nailed this one.
At least now we can't this tedious thread to bed.

No.

If he can't rise up to be a starter for the Quacks someday, what makes you think he has what it takes to become the starter for the Cats?

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I doubt these kids care much about ratings and any pecking order they imply. If a kid really believes in himself, he will commit to a program full of five stars and not worry about the competition,

Repeat after me: prospect ratings a media creation to generate website views during the off-season. Players, coaches, and Jesus do not care about ratings. Only fans do.

No.

If he can't rise up to be a starter for the Quacks someday, what makes you think he has what it takes to become the starter for the Cats?

Um, what makes me think that? Hmmm? The fact that a cursory search showed me that Oregon has four QBs on the roster four stars or better with extensive lists of P5 offers.

Marty, Smith and Whittaker have three power five offers, COMBINED. And those are from Indiana, Iowa State and Boston College. Hardly P5 royalty.

So is it a guarantee Millen would start here? Absolutely not. Is Northwestern’s QB depth chart anywhere close to the talent represented in Oregon’s that a new recruit would have to overcome to win the starting job, not even close.

Reactions: WildBillcat
Don't count out Millen ending up playing in Purple. It is a long time until the real signing day. As was discussed on The Rock, the last, and this latest chess move may have been orchestrated to get the attention of the team he and his dad most likely have wanted him to play for since the inception - the Huskies, the team on which the dad played.

Don't count out Millen ending up playing in Purple. It is a long time until the real signing day. As was discussed on The Rock, the last, and this latest chess move may have been orchestrated to get the attention of the team he and his dad most likely have wanted him to play for since the inception - the Huskies, the team on which the dad played.

I was gonna write something like they must have legalized weed in Alaska recently, didn't they? And that there is zero chance Millen is going to be playing in Purple. Fitz is moving on, and when the next guy commits, the slot is gone.

Then I guess it dawned on me that the Huskies wear purple too.

My guess is that Washington told him in pretty certain terms that he wasn’t getting an offer if he committed to Oregon.

No.

We have a whole lot less high level depth at the position than Oregon

So a week goes by and neither AB nor Corbi choose to answer the question... Nuf said about those opinions, I guess...

Reactions: DarthCat
So a week goes by and neither AB nor Corbi choose to answer the question... Nuf said about those opinions, I guess...

What question would that be? I’ve been on a week long beach hiatus from you yahoos. Back in the office tomorrow so need to start a couple of controversial threads to keep me entertained while I am at work the rest of the week.

What question would that be? I’ve been on a week long beach hiatus from you yahoos. Back in the office tomorrow so need to start a couple of controversial threads to keep me entertained while I am at work the rest of the week.

Can't remember who posed but:

"We're all still waiting to understand your logic about why Flynn Nagel or Andrew Marty's decommitments are so different from Cale Millen's, and why in their cases they aren't being unethical or breaking their word like Cale. Provide a coherent and reasoned argument, and I promise I will shut up and not make another post in this thread.

While you're at it, please also explain what honor there is in NU encouraging and tempting kids who have committed to other schools into breaking their word (such as we are doing with Charlie Dean who has committed to UCF) and how accepting such oath breakers into the program remains consistent with the idea that we only want kids who are true to their word and where their word means something. Thanks."

While I do not disagree because age and experience has taught us a few things that kids do not know yet. These are still young and dumb(lack of experience) kids still thinking about their HTH and that the numbers and competition within the program the program they chose does not matter.

"We're all still waiting to understand your logic about why Flynn Nagel or Andrew Marty's decommitments are so different from Cale Millen's, and why in their cases they aren't being unethical or breaking their word like Cale. Provide a coherent and reasoned argument, and I promise I will shut up and not make another post in this thread.

While you're at it, please also explain what honor there is in NU encouraging and tempting kids who have committed to other schools into breaking their word (such as we are doing with Charlie Dean who has committed to UCF) and how accepting such oath breakers into the program remains consistent with the idea that we only want kids who are true to their word and where their word means something. Thanks."
Do as I say and not as I do

This again? It’s a very simple arguement best explained using the FItz engagement analogy. Pretty much every other school out there DOES NOT make scholarship offers that provide the same level of certainty that NU does when we offer a scholarship. When a recruit commits to NU, the recruit knows his scholarship will not be rescinded because of injury, poor play or availability of a more talented recruit. To the best of my knowledge, no other school out there gives a recruit these assurances. Therefore these other schools are accepting a commitment but leaving themselves outs if something happens or a better alternative comes along. Recruits know this and this is why they also feel free under this verbal arrangement to also evaluate other options that come along after they have committed to a school. Many committed recruits openly take official visits to other schools with the knowledge of the schools they are committed to. This is ok for most schools because the implied agreement from both sides is that we are committed to each other unless something better comes along. It’s a mutual understanding which I would equate best to a couple dating, but agreeing not to be exclusive. NU’s arrangement with potential commitments is fundamentally different as it involves a stronger level of commitment from both sides and this is clearly explained up front to the recruit. NU offers commitments certainty that their scholarship will be honored regardless of injury, their performance on the field, or availability of other more talented recruits. In return for this valuable pledge from NU, NU expects the recruits to stick with their commitment through signing day. It’s the equivalent of getting engaged. I see the benefit of NU’s approach but also recognize that many recruits may not be certain of their choice. If you are not certain, then don’t commit. Once you do commit and benefit from the certainty that comes along with being committed to NU, it is unethical to not honor your end of this unique bargain yp entered into when you accepted a scholarship from NU.

Reactions: CommodoresAndCats
Also:
No matter how frequently, if ever, Duke rescinds offers, a verbal commitment to Duke isn’t actually giving Duke one’s word, because Duke has never publicly made an “engagement” analogy that we know of and, therefore, backing out of a commitment to Duke isn’t actually going back on one’s word. It makes sense!

This is my last post on this topic - I am bored by it. In fact, I write not to argue with any of you or to attempt further to explain that which you seem incapable of understanding. However, the point must be made to any prospective members of the NU community or its fanbase that NU IS different. Accordingly, I once again will try to explain Corbi's logic and to defend it - as it is sound, even if I draw a somewhat different conclusion from it regarding Millen. I changed my mind about my college choice as late as May of my senior year - it happens. My interest in this thread has nothing to do with the equities involved in various fact scenarios, only in the logic of the original argument. Those of you looking to fairness, equity, or an emotional understanding of a 17 year old's mind are dealing with different issues than I. Corbi's point is that, to his knowledge, no other coach in the country promises to hold a commitment to a player regardless of injury, standard of play, or availability of superior talent at a later date. In other words, a commitment to NU will be honored in EVERY case except if there is criminal misconduct or a precipitous drop in grades. Numerous parents have commented that this is true at NU, but nowhere else. This pledge by NU and the coaching staff should create a tremendous amount of security in the young men who accept it, and is, to my understanding, available no where else. But, it contains a reciprocal promise that the young man honor his commitment to NU. As no other school offers the same pledge to the student that Fitz does, no other school can extract the same level of commitment from him. Logical, right? Therefore, a student who accepts NU's pledge and then backs out of his own, in Corbi's view, has proven himself untrustworthy. I can certainly understand that position and it is a logical conclusion, though I am less willing to condemn the character of the 17 year old. Nonetheless, the point is sound even if the terminology is harsh. Let's all try to pay attention to the logic, not the terminology. Once again, students committing to other schools never received the guarantee offered by Fitz and therefore their commitments were of a somewhat different nature. NU never made any commitment to any other school not to poach - therefore any discussion of such instances is irrelevant to the point at issue. Seriously folks, this is not difficult, and those of you who continue to fight this point must have an agenda quite distinct from understanding Corbi's argument for what it is.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way, who would you judge more harshly? A girl who drops a guy that she was dating on a non exclusive basis, or a girl who drops a guy after a six month engagement? A guy who starts dating a girl who was previously dating another guy on a non exclusive basis or a guy who starts dating a girl who had been previously engaged to another guy for six months? That’s really the gist of my arguement.

Let me put it this way, who would you judge more harshly? A girl who drops a guy that she was dating on a non exclusive basis, or a girl who drops a guy after a six month engagement? A guy who starts dating a girl who was previously dating another guy on a non exclusive basis or a guy who starts dating a girl who had been previously engaged to another guy for six months? That’s really the gist of my arguement.
You cannot condemn going back on one’s word and then excuse Flynn Nagel’s behavior.

He went back on his word, and got away with it.

Reactions: IGNORE2
You cannot condemn going back on one’s word and then excuse Flynn Nagel’s behavior.

Nagle and Duke weren’t engaged, they were dating. There was no exclusive commitment so how could Nagle have gone back on his word when he never gave it in the first place? Duke could just as easily have bumped Nagle on commitment day in favor of a better WR. It has happened before in college football. That is the nature of the arrangement in college recruiting with NU being the outlier. NU does it differently and asks their commitments to reciprocate that loyalty. Those that commit to NU understand the obligation they are undertaking when they commit and the vast majority live up to that obligation.

Bottom line is we are having this discussion because the whole recruiting and oral commitment system in college sports is a sham. Neither the players nor the schools feel at all obligated by an oral commitment. NU does it differently because it is the right thing to do. Recruits and their families see the value of this approach and the vast majority of kids that commit to NU understand that an oral commitment to NU provides them with certainty but also morally obligates them to own up to their end of the bargain. Cale Millen did not. That’s unfortunate.

Nagle and Duke weren’t engaged, they were dating. There was no exclusive commitment so how could Nagle have gone back on his word when he never gave it in the first place? Duke could just as easily have bumped Nagle on commitment day in favor of a better WR. It has happened before in college football. That is the nature of the arrangement in college recruiting with NU being the outlier. NU does it differently and asks their commitments to reciprocate that loyalty. Those that commit to NU understand the obligation they are undertaking when they commit and the vast majority live up to that obligation.
Your position is that the only viable verbal commitment is the one given to Northwestern.

Your position is that the only viable verbal commitment is the one given to Northwestern.

That’s not my position, that’s the reality of college football. Schools and recruits behave in a way which implies that oral commitments are nothing but a placeholder. They are a joke. NU is the only school which explicitly offers something different/more substantive to recruits. I am not aware of any other school that explicitly makes the offer that NU does. There may be some but I am not aware of them.

Last edited:
That’s not my position, that’s the reality of college football. Schools and recruits behave in a way which implies that oral commitments are nothing but a placeholder. They are a joke. NU is the only school which explicitly offers something different/more substantive to recruits. I am not aware of any other school that explicitly makes the offer that NU does. There may be some but I am not aware of them.
And you believe Flynn Nagel didn’t go back on his word when he broke his verbal commitment.

(Note: In all other areas of life, giving one’s verbal commitment and giving one’s word are necessarily the same thing. Literally, giving your verbal commitment is giving your word.)

And you believe Flynn Nagel didn’t go back on his word when he broke his verbal commitment.

(Note: In all other areas of life, giving one’s verbal commitment and giving one’s word are necessarily the same thing. Literally, giving your verbal commitment is giving your word.)

Again? No I don’t. An oral commitment in college football means nothing because both sides acknowledge that they can change their minds. That is not a commitment, it’s a place holder. Do you agree that this is the case pretty much everywhere else in college football?

ADVERTISEMENT