ADVERTISEMENT

California Governor says "Not so fast...."

UCLA is "deeply in debt" according to the article. Why am I not surprised that a public entity in CA has too much debt? I am guessing the lure of B1G $$$ will make this decision a fairly easy one for the govnuh.
Or does it increase the odds of either Stanford, Oregon, or Washington joining in their stead?

You still get the LA market with USC, and can add another.

Market One - Big Ten Rutgers (and overall interest in the game - all schools have people in NYC)
Market Two - Big Ten USC (if no UCLA)
Market Three - Big Ten Northwestern/Illinois
Market Four - (Stanford - Though I really wish we alone were the academic choice for the elite kids)
Market Five - SEC (Texas schools though not directly)
Maket Six - SEC (Texas schools though not diectly)
Marekt Seven - Maryland
Market Eight - More or Less Penn State though Temple is in town
Market Nine - None (I dont see them taking BC in any way in this super-league)
Market Ten - None unless we take Washington instead of Stanford

After that the two biggest Markets to consider are Phoenix and Miami. Maybe there is room for a third league based on the old ACC/Big East with a few missing West Coast Teams thrown in?

UCLA is "deeply in debt" according to the article. Why am I not surprised that a public entity in CA has too much debt? I am guessing the lure of B1G $$$ will make this decision a fairly easy one for the govnuh.
The statement is misleading, because the debt is related to the athletics program, not the university as a whole. It's an issue common to many colleges across the country as they struggle to field a variety of programs.

California (the state) actually has a surplus.

Reactions: rmndcat
Not when you account for unfunded public pension liabilities
So then every state but one has a deficit.

This is a nothing burger, CYA statement. Blustering about doing investigations because he’s embarrassed he didn’t know about it. Run of the mill politics with a very low chance of any actual action as a result.
Pretty much this.

Regents have no control over UCLA exiting the Pac-12 and going to the Big Ten.

It's a campus-level decision and they did notify the leader of the Regents; it's a decision that the Regents can look into but most likely can't overturn.

Regents don’t control, and the horse is out of the barn for UCLA. While they also don’t control the process for Cal, they can exert a great deal of indirect pressure to slow or prevent should they be looking to leave.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
I think a commenter named JJ had the right idea about what could happen if Newsome somehow successfully kept UCLA out of the Big Ten:
"I hope that Newsome and the California Board of Regents puts up a fight and then the Big Ten says fine, we will invite USC, Stanford, Washington and Oregon instead. Newsome can then have the legacy of the guy that killed UCLA athletics."

This is a nothing burger, CYA statement. Blustering about doing investigations because he’s embarrassed he didn’t know about it. Run of the mill politics with a very low chance of any actual action as a result.
As governor Newsome is an ex-officio member of the UC board of regents but the reality is that he has little involvement in management and oversight of the UC system. He and the legislature do have influence over the UC financials via the state budget. Regarding UCLA athletics dept debt caused by the pandemic is a separate issue from state pension debt. The UC system has its own retirement fund. The obligations to pay UC pensions is really not a factor for the UCLA admin to join the BIgTen. The revenues from joining the BigTen should prop up whatever lagging revenues there were receiving from the PAC12 and help fill in the holes in the athletic dept budget caused by the pandemic. A rising tide of BigTen revenues will help float the rest of the Bruins athletic programs that have been under financial pressure during the pandemic.

The California governor turbo-boosted the arms race by signing the bill allowing California athletes to earn NIL money. Rather than fight it, the NCAA threw up their hands and now we have accelerated chaos.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The California governor turbo-boosted the arms race by signing the bill allowing California athletes to earn NIL money. Rather than fight it, the NCAA threw up their hands and now we have accelerated chaos.
NIL doesn’t have very much to do with it.

NIL doesn’t have very much to do with it.
It's all about business, business, business now.

Why is it a good idea for student-athletes to fly from LA to NJ for a conference game? Who cares! Let the money flow.

It's all very related.

Why is it a good idea for student-athletes to fly from LA to NJ for a conference game? Who cares! Let the money flow.

It's all very related.
Conference-specific television networks pre-date NIL by 15 years. This is all about television/streaming $$, which goes entirely to the schools.

Conference-specific television networks pre-date NIL by 15 years. This is all about television/streaming $$, which goes entirely to the schools.
The erosion of academic considerations has been the common thread.

They're all "workers" now.

I didn't say that this started with NIL. I said that NIL has accelerated it.

At least the Eastern and Central Time Zones are adjacent. We had to jump over another entirely to reach the Pacific.

It's all very related.
The only thing that makes it connected to NIL is the whole concept makes you cranky, so you lump it all together as "money in college sports" and mentally check out after that. The reality is the two aren't connected at all, and as NUCat pointed out, this direction in conference realignment driven by TV dollars has been going on for nearly two decades, long before the idea of NIL was so much as a twinkle in Neil Gorsuch's eye.

For more piling on, here is a Rick Reilly piece in today’s Washington Post:

The college football lunacy isn’t permanent. It’s going to get worse.​

He concludes: “And the egghead teams that aren’t at all watchable, such as Vanderbilt in the SEC and Northwestern in the Big Ten? They’ll get kicked down to one of the JV conferences and eventually become accountants for TaxSlayer.”

For more piling on, here is a Rick Reilly piece in today’s Washington Post:

The college football lunacy isn’t permanent. It’s going to get worse.​

He concludes: “And the egghead teams that aren’t at all watchable, such as Vanderbilt in the SEC and Northwestern in the Big Ten? They’ll get kicked down to one of the JV conferences and eventually become accountants for TaxSlayer.”
I can very easily envision scenarios where that happens.

The only thing that makes it connected to NIL is the whole concept makes you cranky, so you lump it all together as "money in college sports" and mentally check out after that. The reality is the two aren't connected at all, and as NUCat pointed out, this direction in conference realignment driven by TV dollars has been going on for nearly two decades, long before the idea of NIL was so much as a twinkle in Neil Gorsuch's eye.
I thought it was Kavanaugh.

The erosion of academic considerations has been the common thread.

They're all "workers" now.

I didn't say that this started with NIL. I said that NIL has accelerated it.
I would argue it just reflects American society as a whole where our culture now values the pursuit of the dollar over all else. I'd say we've been stuck in that mode for at least the last 40+ years.

I would argue it just reflects American society as a whole where our culture now values the pursuit of the dollar over all else. I'd say we've been stuck in that mode for at least the last 40+ years.
The trick, I would argue, is to combine the pursuit of the dollar with a career that is personally satisfying, challenging and enjoyable

Reactions: TheC
The trick, I would argue, is to combine the pursuit of the dollar with a career that is personally satisfying, challenging and enjoyable
I agree, but I would also argue that as a society, we have to sometimes recognize that other values are as important if not more important than that dollar.

I'm not naïve. of course I recognize that money is important and we all generally want to have as much of it as we can. But all of us have a line we won't cross just because of money. The problem is that when it comes to societal decisions, I worry we've let that line drift so far toward the money side, that we excuse a lot of behavior that takes some of the joy out of life.

In reality it was 9-0 so I could have gone with any of them. I just thought Gorsuch was a funnier pull given all his Indian territory TRULBRTY stuff. Also easier to spell.
That's true. Kavanaugh is the one who seemed to have the money quote, though:

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate," Kavanaugh wrote. "And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different.

"The NCAA is not above the law."

Reactions: ricko654321
What a dick.

Focus on fixing that disaster of a state where taxes and gas prices are out of control, the homeless are anywhere and everywhere, people have free rein to steal, and nobody is safe from the thugs.
And this thread was staying above the fray.... oh well....

By the way, California may save our lives because their state laws on environmental regulations will force industries' hands in a way that our federal government refuses to do. Fortunately, California is a big enough economy to make a difference, which will benefit the whole planet. If you have kids or grandkids, you'll be thankful.

And this thread was staying above the fray.... oh well....

By the way, California may save our lives because their state laws on environmental regulations will force industries' hands in a way that our federal government refuses to do. Fortunately, California is a big enough economy to make a difference, which will benefit the whole planet. If you have kids or grandkids, you'll be thankful.
Lol at "save our lives"

Reactions: No Chores
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT