ADVERTISEMENT

Cardale Jones to make "Life Changing Decision"

Re: More "Life Same-ing"

It looks like he may be playing school after all. Posting his infamous Tweet won't have the same impact anymore.

klemman,

You are absolutely right, and I believe the young man made the right decision. He comported himself well at the press conference, and, barring injury, he will lead OSU to another national championship. Cardale, in my opinion, is not as susceptible to injury as some qb's, and if he has a great year again he will be set for life as a first round draft pick.
Understand that I loathe OSU, mostly because of the fans, and that I root against them except in the post-season, but I admire their performance this year in the face of adversity. Besides, I live about a half hour from Ashtabula Ohio. Ugh!

Since this is a draft topic, I'll weigh in. An NFL GM would have to risk a lot taking Jones. He has 3 starts against D1 talent.... Granted it was in the Big Ten Championship, Bowl game, and some stupid game they played after the bowl games were over. As such, he's a 5-7th round draft pick in my mind. Someone could see something and take him as a flyer in the 3rd or 4th, but I'm not seeing a GM risking their job like that. A 5th-7th round QB draft pick is likely destined for a team's practice squad. That's not a good place to be. You're not being developed as a player and you can quickly fade away. Going pro probably wasn't an option.

I think JT Barrett will be the starter next year as he's a better "fit" for the offense. If Braxton Miller stays at OSU, he'll likely be converted to another postion (probably WR) which will probably benefit him in the long run because he can actually play that position in the NFL. He didn't have an NFL arm which will only further be shown by a shoulder injury, but he is a freak athlete and can be a playmaker WR or RB.

How does Cardale Jones become a 1st round draft pick assuming JT Barrett stays healthy? I think the only way is to transfer. Based on the rules, he'd have to transfer to an FCS school. If he can find a college with a good program, good talent around him, and an offense that suits his abilities, he can light it up at that level. Combine that with his measurable size, strength, and speed, his arm strength, and his 3 big games at OSU, he could put together a great resume and get into the 1st round like Joe Flacco from FCS Delaware or the 2nd like Jimmy Garrappolo from FCS Eastern Illinois.

shakes,

Nice to hear from you, but I disagree. Cardale Jones will be the starting qb at OSU next year. Barrett lost to VA. Tech and was taken to double OT by Penn State, a team that was crushed by the 'Cats. Jones destroyed Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. He is enormous, not very susceptible to injury and has a huge arm. He will be a first round draft choice after 2015.

Originally posted by No Chores:
shakes,

Nice to hear from you, but I disagree. Cardale Jones will be the starting qb at OSU next year. Barrett lost to VA. Tech and was taken to double OT by Penn State, a team that was crushed by the 'Cats. Jones destroyed Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. He is enormous, not very susceptible to injury and has a huge arm. He will be a first round draft choice after 2015.
Talk about revisionist history and going after the "new hot thing."
Cardale Jones:
Oregon: 16-23 242 1 TD 1 INT 21 rushes for 38 yards 1 TD
Alabama: 18-35 243 1 TD 1 INT 17 rushes 43 yards
Wisconsin: 12-17 257 3 TDs 8 rushes 9 yards

Ezekiel Elliot on the other hand:
Oregon: 36 for 246 and 4 TDs
Alabama: 20 for 230 and 2 TDs
Wisconsin: 20 for 220 2 TDs
Last 3 games 232 ypg 2.67 TDs per game

Compare that to Elliots production against Va Tech and Penn State
Va Tech: 8 for 32 and 1 TD
Penn State: 26 for 109 1 TD
First 12 games games: 98 ypg .83 TD per game

No offense to Jones who played really good games, JT Barrett was right there with Gordon and Cooper in the Heisman running. Jones's success in the final three games had a lot to do with the success of the running back and the offensive line manhandling the defenses and less to do with Jones's ability.

Look at passer ratings Barrett 169.8 vs Jones 160.2. That's the difference between the #2 QB (after Mariota's that was off the charts) and #7. It's small, but it's there. The metric I like is QBR (I linked in article explaining the metric) which takes into consideration who is responsible for the play rather than just the numbers. JT Barrett 81.9 Cardale Jones 60.6. JT Barrett was #2 in the country. Jones would be 56th if he played enough to qualify.

Now I know what you're going to say. Jones played 3 great teams which is why they have adjusted QBR to take into account the opponents skill. JT Barrett #3 in the country at 85.6. Jones #27 at 71.9.

Bottom line Barrett out played Jones by every statistical measure I can find.

QBR explanation

Originally posted by klemman:

It looks like he may be playing school after all. Posting his infamous Tweet won't have the same impact anymore.
Nah. He still ain't be playin' school.

shakes,

We shall see. corbi and old No Chores are in agreement - Cardale Jones will be OSU's starting qb next season. Braxton will transfer.
In the spirit of good sportsmanship, however, I will bet you a 12 pack of Yeungling that I'm right.

Don't you have a child attending NU? And you post such a puerile jab at another young man attending the university of his choice. Great role model you are!

That's disappointing--I was hoping the news was he was transferring to NU. Can you imagine what we could do with Cardale Jones?

Originally posted by DocCatsFan:

Love your attitude Docacats. The kid comes from a background where everything is stacked against him. Finds a way to get through it. Goes to college and is immature so he sends out a Tweet to be funny. The coaches threaten to kick him off the team if he doesn't mature. A couple of years later he has a 3.0 GPA, wins a National Championship, and decides to stay in school when everyone besides his closest advisors are telling him to go to the NFL.

So Dogcats, you decide to make fun of him. So cool. Great post.

Thanks, klemman. You're right.

I thought Cardale Jones comported himself very well in the 10-15 seconds shown on ESPN tonight.

DCF's son has way better grammar than Cardale Jones, you should know.

Jones explained his tweet a while later with another tweet. Quite honestly I can see myself making a stupid mistake like he did as well. Well, not exactly like him since I was not a famous athlete, but you get the point. All I can say is I am glad social media wasn't around when I went to school! I sure as heck remember studying hard only to get a grade that was less than I hoped for.

In March 2014, Urban Meyer described Jones as a "different guy" who was "making progress in the classroom."

Later, Jones provided context for the tweet:

"I remember I was in class, and I think I got, like, a B on a [sociology] exam. It was just something so stupid; of course I didn't feel that way about academics, and I don't. Nobody in this program feels that way, we actually take that stuff very seriously around here. It was just a dumbass thing to do. I definitely didn't think that would happen. It was just a stupid thing to do at that time. It was something where I just got pissed because I studied my ass off. "

-Cardale Jones, December 2014.

Even though Braxton Miller was talke about as a Heisman candidate last summer, it appears he may never have the arm strenght he had before his injury according to stuff I have seen online. If I am Urban Meyer I stronly suggest the following.

1. Everyone has a lot to prove. Braxton - that he can come back. JT - that he can come back. Jones - that he is not a three game wonder.

2. Becaue of diminshed arm strenght but other than that great athleticism, move Braxton to WR or TE. It is where he will play in the NFL if he goes there so get those reps in now.

3. Dual QB system for the other two, but have a clear number one that gets 75% of the snaps. The other guy should play a lot, though, so defenses have to prepare for two styles of play each week.

Originally posted by DocCatsFan:

Love your attitude Docacats. The kid comes from a background where everything is stacked against him. Finds a way to get through it. Goes to college and is immature so he sends out a Tweet to be funny. The coaches threaten to kick him off the team if he doesn't mature. A couple of years later he has a 3.0 GPA, wins a National Championship, and decides to stay in school when everyone besides his closest advisors are telling him to go to the NFL.

So Dogcats, you decide to make fun of him. So cool. Great post.
Hadn't heard this explanation, Klem. And I have to say (much to my own surprise, even) that I've softened a bit on this kid. Couldn't possibly have thought less of him at first, but he's actually gone a LOT further toward not seeming like the poster child for all that is wrong with college sports than I would ever have guessed he could. JMO, though; I know there are plenty of posters on our boards - guys WAAAAY smarter than I - who disagree. Anyway, congrats again on your season. It was one helluva ride.

at the same time, I saw a quote (since I don't tweet, although I am a twit) from his roommate Tyvus Powell saying something like 'stay in school kids, they can't take your degree away from you'. well said

I wasn't a big Cardale fan either. If he would have transferred out of OSU last Spring, I would chalk it up to another college athlete who blew husband opportunity.

Obviously I was happy that he stayed because of what he did to get the Bucks into the championship.

Then I found out more in the SI article and the pieces run on him on ESPN and BTN.

1. Never knew his father
2. Mother was never around.
3. Although he never got into serious trouble he walked the streets a lot.
4. While at the Ted Ginn Academy Ted Ginn sets him up with a woman who works in law enforcement to be his mentor.
5. They develop a close relationship and he starts calling, talking, and visiting her on a regular basis.
6. First time in his life he starts eating three meals daily.
7. She notices he can't put his feet all the way into his shoes, so she takes him to Foot Locker. She let's him choose and picks out one of the least expensive shoes in his size.
8. One day sitting in his living room a bullet goes through his wall so he calls her and says he can't live this way anymore.
9. He lives in her living room for the next couple of years.
10. Despite success as a highschool QB, Coach Ginn and Ms. Nash decides it would be better for him to go to Prep School before college to mature even more.
11. He survives his immaturity of his early college years.
12. He calls his mentor Ms. Nash, Mom. She says that she thought she would never be called that because she is physically unable to have children.
13. He stays in school when he could have left.

I became a Cardale Jones fan. A big one.

The unbelievable thing is tOSU has three qb's who could lead them to another national championship next season. I never dreamed I would see that. If Braxton does transfer I wish him well. I could very well see him staying and being used as a hybrid in Urban's offense. Good luck to the Wildcats next year. I always pull for you guys except when you play the Bucks.

Seriously? You should be ashamed of posting this nonsense.

Wow. Great story. Just listening to him speak during this run and in the recent press conferences, he sounds like he has matured.

I don't hate the 'Buck's with the fervor like many on this board. Wish them well next year and if NU can't win it, hopefully another BIG team (including the 'Buck's) can.

"We aint come to play school" is hard to live down. But he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.

But now would be an opportune time to go pro given the weakness of this year's QB draft pool. Mariota is an awesome college player but it's not clear how his skills will translate to the NFL. Winston has the physical tools but his judgment and maturity must be questioned. Hundley's accuracy is a concern (at least for me). And so on.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a bigger arm than Jones' cannon. My impression from a limited sample size is that he is accurate and has touch to go along with his ability to throw the ball a country mile. Many of his throws in the NCG were made with little pressure and long pocket times, so all of this comes with an asterisk.

Thanks for posting this list. We should all be proud when a young man turns his life around.

This post was edited on 1/16 12:09 PM by 7th Cir. Cat

Good for Cardale Jones. It's the outcome those who say they believe in college sports want to be able to point to. (Just a shame it had to be for OSU, as it's against my personal credo to have any fondness for them whatsoever.)

But "we ain't come to play school" is one of the funniest lines in sports history. It's up there with "we talkin' bout practice?", "playOFFS?", and "I'm a man! I'm 40!"

I hope it lives forever, because it makes me laugh every time.

Originally posted by Hungry Jack:
But now would be an opportune time to go pro given the weakness of this year's QB draft pool. Mariota is an awesome college player but it's not clear how his skills will translate to the NFL. Winston has the physical tools but his judgment and maturity must be questioned. Hundley's accuracy is a concern (at least for me). And so on.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a bigger arm than Jones' cannon. My impression from a limited sample size is that he is accurate and has touch to go along with his ability to throw the ball a country mile. Many of his throws in the NCG were made with little pressure and long pocket times, so all of this comes with an asterisk.
My uneducated guess is that he is being counseled that a three game sample size where the running back and offensive line were dominating the opponents would not have done very much for his draft stock and pro teams would probably be looking at him in the 5th round or higher.

If he can get some significant playing time next year and give the pros a larger body of work to review, then he could propel himself into the second round (I doubt the 1st). Given that future earnings in the NFL like many professions is heavily impacted by your first contract, the additional year at OSU could translate into millions of total dollars long term.

It would just be a matter of whether he had the self-confidence to believe that he could get significant playing time at OSU next year. A champion believes in himself.

Re: I really hope that

Originally posted by MidvaleDave:
neither of you wins that bet.
Really Dave? I don't want to speak for No Chores, but I'm guessing we're both pretty willing to share.

Re: I really hope that

I realize that many, many love that beer. I've just never enjoyed it at all. Yuengling and Cincinatti Chili, count me OUT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT