ADVERTISEMENT

Cats make the short list for Jordan Goodwin

That's certainly an assortment you don't see every day.

Alabama, to me, seems to be the outlier. The rest are Midwest schools and three are Catholic (SLU, Butler and Creighton), not surprising for a kid from Althoff Catholic. Belleville is near St. Louis, so SLU and Mizzou make sense. NU will play the academic card HARD, I would imagine.

Alabama, to me, seems to be the outlier. The rest are Midwest schools and three are Catholic (SLU, Butler and Creighton), not surprising for a kid from Althoff Catholic. Belleville is near St. Louis, so SLU and Mizzou make sense. NU will play the academic card HARD, I would imagine.

The Catholic connection does make it somewhat understandable, but it's still not every day you see NU, St. Louis, Creighton and Alabama competing for a recruit. It is nice for good BB players that they have some Division I options that football players can't consider.

Avery Johnson was an excellent point guard and head coach in the NBA. Chris Collins? Not so much......

True. But I was pointing out that Alabama is the only non-Midwest school on the list. And Goodwin is more of a combo guard than a pure point guard.

I choose to read way too much into the fact that the NU logo is listed first.

Reactions: Ubermorgen
a) It sounds like Illinois and Missouri are the schools to beat. Goodwin already announced he will be taking official visits to those schools, and he's unsure where he'll go for other visits.

b) After watching the jerkoff Illini fans flood Goodwin's Twitter account with their "support" (no mob mentality ever), I don't want to be the online homer trying to sway his decision. But when I try to be very objective and place myself in the position of his parents, I can honestly say I'd never send my kid to a program where there was a sudden departure by the AD with a search for the AD in process.

I'd also never send my kid to a program where a new AD was brought aboard with a unestablished coach in place.

c) Goodwin said he'll make his final decision in time for his birthday in October.

d) I'm somewhat surprised by the idea of cutting your list by the end of the summer still involves 7 and 10 schools. I also heard another analyst say Eastern's recruitment is still pretty wide open. Admittedly, that analyst isn't one of the "pros" and probably doesn't know what the f he is talking about.

But I always thought "cutting your list" by the end of the summer means getting down to 3 or 4 schools.

This class seems to be taking their time. They probably should as should classes before them. I wonder if this is a new standard we're going to see.

That Mizzou program is a total mess -- I'd be surprised if Kim Anderson survives another season, although they probably need a fulltime AD to show him the door. Maybe not, we'll see. Illinois is also tenuous, but at least Groce has the Tillman commitment to help solidify his job situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT