ADVERTISEMENT

Cats offer 2018 PWO to Iowa QB

Inovacat

Gold Member
May 30, 2016
Northern VA
Evan Flitz, Iowa City West QB and 2018 Iowa Gatorade Player of The Year, has received a PWO offer from the Wildcats. Flitz threw for nearly 3,000 yards and completed better than 66 percent of his pass attempts. Hudl puts him at 6’ and 160 pounds, but see his Hudl tape for an accurate arm.

And I need to add, he is my cousin. Go Wildcats.

Evan Flitz, Iowa City West QB and 2018 Iowa Gatorade Player of The Year, has received a PWO offer from the Wildcats. Flitz threw for nearly 3,000 yards and completed better than 66 percent of his pass attempts. Hudl puts him at 6’ and 160 pounds, but see his Hudl tape for an accurate arm.

Congrats to Evan and good luck to him! Would be nice to have him in the family.

Last edited:

Does this mean he will attend NU? He has great credentials.....

Does this mean he will attend NU? He has great credentials.....

His twitter feed suggests he has a recent PWO offer from Iowa State as well. So I guess we'll have to wait to see what he decides.

I don't understand recruiting. He seems to have the accolades - Gatorade Player of Year for Iowa, Gazette Player of the Year. He's got big numbers. Yet, his rivals and 247 profiles are almost nonexistent and doesn't seem to have any scholarship offers. Is it his size?

tell us more Couz.

His name is nearly Evanston Fitz. How can he not come to NU?

My guess is the fact that he’s just 160 pounds has something to do with his lack of recruiting.

Size is the long and short of It. Especially height, as the Wildcats have demonstrated with the last 4-5 years of their scholarships offers going to taller athletes. On the other hand, his Hudl size didn’t change from his junior year, and his Granddad was 6-5 and a big man. I don’t know if he has been admitted yet, but that surely will not be a hurdle.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Size is the long and short of It. Especially height, as the Wildcats have demonstrated with the last 4-5 years of their scholarships offers going to taller athletes. On the other hand, his Hudl size didn’t change from his junior year, and his Granddad was 6-5 and a big man. I don’t know if he has been admitted yet, but that surely will not be a hurdle.
At a "reported" 6'0 and 160 he is just to small to play QB in the Big Ten or any other Power 5 school. maybe he could fit at another position, WR?

At a "reported" 6'0 and 160 he is just to small to play QB in the Big Ten or any other Power 5 school. maybe he could fit at another position, WR?
Drew Brees was 6’ 170ish out of high school, and he was a halfway decent B1G QB. Russell Wilson is 5’11, and that didn’t stop him from picking apart the B1G.
You’re just too pessimistic to be a fan. Maybe you would fit on another board.

Drew Brees was 6’ 170ish out of high school, and he was a halfway decent B1G QB. Russell Wilson is 5’11, and that didn’t stop him from picking apart the B1G.
You’re just too pessimistic to be a fan. Maybe you would fit on another board.
Willy's right. As it stands, a 160 lb QB would get destroyed out there (let's assume it's a legitimate 6'). But a 160lb kid can transform to a 190 lb kid pretty quickly, so a walk-on like this is certainly not a write-off if he shows the skills (he apparently does).

Willy's right. As it stands, a 160 lb QB would get destroyed out there (let's assume it's a legitimate 6'). But a 160lb kid can transform to a 190 lb kid pretty quickly, so a walk-on like this is certainly not a write-off if he shows the skills (he apparently does).
He’s right if we plugged him in to play his fall, but my post wasn’t suggesting we do that. Like you say, if he bulks up over the next few years he will not be too small to play. To suggest that he should change positions because he’s too small to start on a college team now, while he’s still in high school, is asinine, especially since he’s shown an aptitude for the “soft skills” required by the QB position.

Very exciting for him, you, and your family. Any reason why no Iowa offer? State player of the year from right there in Iowa City. Would think he would get at least a PWO. Would love to see him wind up in Evanston and light up the Hawkeyes once or twice.

He’s right if we plugged him in to play his fall, but my post wasn’t suggesting we do that. Like you say, if he bulks up over the next few years he will not be too small to play. To suggest that he should change positions because he’s too small to start on a college team now, while he’s still in high school, is asinine, especially since he’s shown an aptitude for the “soft skills” required by the QB position.
Lots of if's and maybe's there. How's his offer sheet look? Io-a offer? BTW, I've been a fan and supporter since the 1950's, how about you big boy?

Lots of if's and maybe's there. How's his offer sheet look? Io-a offer? BTW, I've been a fan and supporter since the 1950's, how about you big boy?
If’s and maybe’s? Willy, he’ll gain weight if he joins the team, and it’ll be good mass. 100% certain of that. That’s the only “if or maybe.” Do you still think he’d be too small to play at 6’ 190 or 200? Keep in mind that we’ve had some really good QBs at that height and weight. I’m not saying he’s going to be a future starter, but I do believe he’d become a valuable member of the team. I’ll trust evaluations of our coaching staff, who decided to offer him as a PWO at QB, over you.

If’s and maybe’s? Willy, he’ll gain weight if he joins the team, and it’ll be good mass. 100% certain of that. That’s the only “if or maybe.” Do you still think he’d be too small to play at 6’ 190 or 200? Keep in mind that we’ve had some really good QBs at that height and weight. I’m not saying he’s going to be a future starter, but I do believe he’d become a valuable member of the team. I’ll trust evaluations of our coaching staff, who decided to offer him as a PWO at QB, over you.
A 6'0 QB gaining 40 pounds. If that isn't a maybe, don't know what is.

Flutie was only 5'10" and 180 lbs, and that was in his prime - there are a lot of 6'4" prototype flops. If the kid can move and has an arm, the opportunities are there.

Reactions: JoeWildcat
You have the kid’s uncle on this thread, who’s been nothing but gracious and appreciative of his nephew’s opportunity. It’s a walk-on offer. Do you have to be a dick about EVERYTHING?

Yes

For what it's worth -

When I entered high school I was 5'8" and 150# soaking wet. As a junior, I was 5'11" and 180#. As a senior, 6' and 190#. First year in the USMC, 6'1" and 210#.

I put on 30# of extremely good weight by running 5 to 7 miles a day in the hills of Camp Pendleton, swimming a mile 3 times a week, lifting 3 times a week, and eating two steaks a night in the officers mess.

So it can happen!

A 6'0 QB gaining 40 pounds. If that isn't a maybe, don't know what is.
Willy,

You live up north, IIRC. Perhaps you have heard of an NFL LB named Matthews. He wears green and plays at Lambeau.

He walked on at USC weighing about a buck seventy, if that.

Quentin Davie arrived at NU at 190 and left at 230+.

Dean Lowry was about 225 as a high school senior.

Even diminutive Jelani Roberts has put on about 20 pounds here.

You have the kid’s uncle on this thread, who’s been nothing but gracious and appreciative of his nephew’s opportunity. It’s a walk-on offer. Do you have to be a dick about EVERYTHING? Even I have my limits.
No I just don't feel that a 160 lb. QB with virtually no offers has much chance of playing QB in a Power 5 conference. Hope he makes it for his and his family's sake and that's why I suggested that he might need to switch positions. he's PWO correct?

No I just don't feel that a 160 lb. QB with virtually no offers has much chance of playing QB in a Power 5 conference. Hope he makes it for his and his family's sake and that's why I suggested that he might need to switch positions. he's PWO correct?

The coaches probably don’t think he has a chance to play much in a P5 conference either. They probably think he’s a high quality, high academic kid who will give the requisite effort to “give a look” during the week and anything more than that is gravy.

PWO offers aren’t really made thinking “hey, this kid is a future starter!” It’s more “hey, this is a high quality kid who can help our program in a lot of ways!”

The coaches probably don’t think he has a chance to play much in a P5 conference either. They probably think he’s a high quality, high academic kid who will give the requisite effort to “give a look” during the week and anything more than that is gravy.

PWO offers aren’t really made thinking “hey, this kid is a future starter!” It’s more “hey, this is a high quality kid who can help our program in a lot of ways!”

Looks like you've finally seen the light with walk ons.

Flutie was only 5'10" and 180 lbs, and that was in his prime - there are a lot of 6'4" prototype flops. If the kid can move and has an arm, the opportunities are there.

Agree with that. As some said, if he develops into something, then it's all gravy.

According to some, including those who are quick to defend the unheralded no star recruits, there is no chance for him or any other PWO (e.g. Green) to make it. While I agree the odds are likely long, he's got an intriguing record of performance, throws a pretty ball and I think there is no downside to bringing him in as a PWO and having him grow and develop and giving him a real shot. You never know.

Last edited:
You post this theme a lot. Do you believe you’re entitled to extra special treatment because you’ve been around longer?
Not at all, except I take exception to those who claim I'm not a real fan or those who indicate that I should go cheer for another program or those who tell me how I should spend my money. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not going anywhere and they can all go to hell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT