ADVERTISEMENT

CBS B1G unit/coaching ranking

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004

Not surprisingly, the Cats near the bottom for most position groups and not surprising that the Cats are dead last at O-line.

With better play-calling and decent play from the QB position, think the Cats will surprise (absolutely need to stay healthy as there is no depth).

Reactions: drewjin
I'm amazed that a media org like CBS can still put out a spreadsheet like that and not have it be sortable by category. How basic is that?

/pet peeves

I assume this is Cody Nagel's individual analysis as opposed to some sort of composite coach and/or sportswiter poll.

Cody's bio (learned his craft a few years ago on the Daily Nebraskan) may explain some of his bias or shortcomings as an analyst.

I fully respect if they go through most of the positional and basically say “unproven young FCS guy, maybe upside but also green and when aren’t sure.” But to not give Braun a lot more credit for last year is just dumb.

I fully respect if they go through most of the positional and basically say “unproven young FCS guy, maybe upside but also green and when aren’t sure.” But to not give Braun a lot more credit for last year is just dumb.
After what went down with Fitz and the defections, what Braun did to hold it all together and actually build some team spirit again is nothing short of a miracle. In the prediction poll with regards to how we will be in the standings this season I did vote for top 9, but I could see us come in at 7-8.

After what went down with Fitz and the defections, what Braun did to hold it all together and actually build some team spirit again is nothing short of a miracle.
Nothing short of a miracle? Really?

What if you are misinterpreting the situation and there was broad team cohesion as evidenced by a letter from the whole team indicating such which emerged immediately as well as the eventual lack of identification of any perpetrators?

Braun had been with the program for a few months, having been hired by Fitz, and transitioned into the interim role with significant support from Holtz in the background and the skills of a capable quarterback.

I am not minimizing Braun’s significant achievements but they are miraculous only if one relies on an interpretation of the context that is highly questionable.

What if you are misinterpreting the situation and there was broad team cohesion as evidenced by a letter from the whole team indicating such which emerged immediately as well as the eventual lack of identification of any perpetrators?

Braun had been with the program for a few months, having been hired by Fitz, and transitioned into the interim role with significant support from Holtz in the background and the skills of a capable quarterback.

I am not minimizing Braun’s significant achievements but they are miraculous only if one relies on an interpretation of the context that is highly questionable.
Overall impressive. Braun stumbled several times early in the season. Players definitely rallied on their own, but Braun gets some credit for channeling that energy...
On the other hand...
Surely Braun knew a bunch of players and some coaches were wearing "Cats Against The World" tee shirts and didn't object...

Right?

Reactions: Inovacat
After what went down with Fitz and the defections, what Braun did to hold it all together and actually build some team spirit again is nothing short of a miracle. In the prediction poll with regards to how we will be in the standings this season I did vote for top 9, but I could see us come in at 7-8.
I’m not even all that optimistic about next year, but I still think it’s crazy to ignore Braun’s legitimately phenomenal performance last year. I still occasionally am hit by the fact that we won 8 games last year and have to just marvel at that.

OK, being a miracle might be slightly over the top, but it was indeed a rather dramatic undertaking at the very least. Recruiting defections, player defections, bad press, etc gave Braun some significant hurdles to overcome. How many of us really thought they would make it to a bowl game and win it after all the player loss and all the drama? I was hopeful, but in reality, thought it was going to be an abysmal season, as did many in here, if not a solid majority. Many people outside of the NU community felt the same way, hence he got the B1G Coach of the Year award. Not sure Fitz could have pulled off what Braun did, if he had weathered the storm and somehow stayed.

OK, being a miracle might be slightly over the top, but it was indeed a rather dramatic undertaking at the very least. Recruiting defections, player defections, bad press, etc gave Braun some significant hurdles to overcome. How many of us really thought they would make it to a bowl game and win it after all the player loss and all the drama? I was hopeful, but in reality, thought it was going to be an abysmal season, as did many in here, if not a solid majority. Many people outside of the NU community felt the same way, hence he got the B1G Coach of the Year award. Not sure Fitz could have pulled off what Braun did, if he had weathered the storm and somehow stayed.
None of what you assert is miraculous. It is what football coaches are paid to do. It is defensible to assert that Fitz may have led the team to the same results and in that scenario noone would have credited him with performing a miracle.

One can imply Braun’s work was something even approaching a miracle only by misreading the context in which he came to be the interim HC.

None of what you assert is miraculous. It is what football coaches are paid to do. It is defensible to assert that Fitz may have led the team to the same results and in that scenario noone would have credited him with performing a miracle.

One can imply Braun’s work was something even approaching a miracle only by misreading the context in which he came to be the interim HC.
To be fair, Braun gets "miracle" points for a few things.

He was a first year head coach, stepping into the big time. A returning Fitz would have had a big advantage in that regard.
Braun had almost no idea what his players could and couldn't do. Presumably Fitz did.
Most importantly, Braun had to rally a team that had been disparaged and ridiculed by the school's own administration and newspaper. Fitz wouldn't have had to deal with that, if his suspension had been handled as agreed upon.

Overall, Braun kept the ship in the battle after Shill and Gragg made most of the munitions explode below deck.

Last edited:
To be fair, Braun gets "miracle" points for a few things.

He was a first year head coach, stepping into the big time. A returning Fitz would have had a big advantage in that regard.
Braun had almost no idea what his players could and couldn't do. Presumably Fitz did.
Most importantly, Braun had to rally a team that had been disparaged and ridiculed by the school's own administration and newspaper. Fitz wouldn't have had to deal with that, if his suspension had been handled as agreed upon.

Overall, Braun kept the ship in the battle after Shill and Gragg made most of the munitions explode below deck.
I don’t truck in miracle inflation.

His was a very fine and (importantly) unexpected effort. That is all it was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT