ADVERTISEMENT

CBS reports half a dozen Alabama football players test positive for Coronavirus

I think there will be 1 or 2 weeks of games and then everything will hit the fan. It’ll be a trainwreck.

Agreed, and this is likely how every single sport (except golf) is going to go. A few games, a massive outbreak, rest of season canceled.

Now this.

At least 28 Clemson University athletes and staff have tested positive for coronavirus, including 23 football players, according to the university's athletics department.​

Now this.

At least 28 Clemson University athletes and staff have tested positive for coronavirus, including 23 football players, according to the university's athletics department.​
So? Do you think this will hold back the south from football? Particularly when Clemson is the favorite to win the national championship?

There won't be a choice if they don't have opponents.
The SEC and Big 12 will be happy to play them.

You realize there’s a nearly 20,000 person rally being held in Tulsa later this afternoon right?

The SEC and Big 12 will be happy to play them.

You realize there’s a nearly 20,000 person rally being held in Tulsa later this afternoon right?

Indeed I do. I do not believe the holding of that rally is in any way indicative of college football being played.

I would be willing to accept any wager that no conference plays games this season. I will definitely put my money where my mouth is.

The virus adds a new dimension to a season, like additional 2-4-week injuries scattered throughout the season. A swirling steam of viral RNA coming off of piles during practice and particularly games. Sounds totally safe. Parents won't mind at all.

We should keep half of the team in isolation to save for the latter half of the season. Or we can play in gas masks. It would be like playing on another planet. However, a Mike Nelson-like struggle to slash the opponent's air filters might break out.

Yeah, we're all systems go to play football this season. One thing they could do is have all the players, coaches, staff, and trainers catch COVID. Offer $50K to each player to catch COVID, essentially priming the pump, so football can keep pumping out cash.

Last edited:
The virus adds a new dimension to a season, like additional 2-4-week injuries scattered throughout the season. A swirling steam of viral RNA coming off of piles during practice and particularly games. Sounds totally safe. Parents won't mind at all.

We should keep half of the team in isolation to save for the latter half of the season. Or we can play in gas masks. It would be like playing on another planet. However, a Mike Nelson-like struggle to slash the opponent's air filters might break out.

Yeah, we're all systems go to play football this season. One thing they could do is have all the players, coaches, staff, and trainers catch COVID. Offer $50K to each player to catch COVID, essentially priming the pump, so football can keep pumping out cash.

I know this comment may be out there a little, but I wonder if some of our young football warriors, feeling invincible, might think it is better to go ahead and catch the virus, have what they consider a flu and then get on with the season. Interesting that two of the more likely national contenders have the most cases.

Reactions: Gladeskat

Think of it this way: at this rate, most of the teams will have herd immunity by the time the season starts. Things have only been open for a couple of weeks and 25% of these teams are catching it.

The guys I played with and against would have ignored this virus and played through it, except for extreme cases (guys who immediately became very sick, or were raised by their grandparents and would see them very often). Especially if they had any chance at awards, a college scholarship, and of course a professional career.

If it’s up the players and we’re only worried about the virus, I bet that they would vote to play the games - probably 5-20% would sit out. I don’t know about the coaches or ADs. However if a teammate becomes hospitalized due to COVID then that would change minds and hearts quickly - so far we haven’t seen any reports of this.

I honestly think players sitting out the season due to social unrest is more likely - the NBA’s season may not happen due to this.

Reactions: Gladeskat
The guys I played with and against would have ignored this virus and played through it, except for extreme cases (guys who immediately became very sick, or were raised by their grandparents and would see them very often). Especially if they had any chance at awards, a college scholarship, and of course a professional career.

We walked 5 miles to school in the freezing snow!

il_794xN.1027791444_h23c.jpg

I know this comment may be out there a little, but I wonder if some of our young football warriors, feeling invincible, might think it is better to go ahead and catch the virus, have what they consider a flu and then get on with the season. Interesting that two of the more likely national contenders have the most cases.
I was thinking of starting a thread to discuss this very topic. Most of these guys who tested positive were asymptomatic, I could easily see guys thinking it's not a big deal, I'm not in the high risk category, get the flu and be immune for a while. It's tempting if you think it can't kill you.

Nobody knows what the long-term consequences are from having COVID-damaged lungs and other organs. Apparently some patients need double lung transplants after recovery.

What percent?

Sorry, it was a report of one patient who had undergone a double lung transplant because of damage from COVID-19. Aside from those who died, that's an extreme case and I have to think there's a gradient in permanent lung damage from COVID-19. There is so much we don't know about COVID-19.

Sorry, it was a report of one patient who had undergone a double lung transplant because of damage from COVID-19. Aside from those who died, that's an extreme case and I have to think there's a gradient in permanent lung damage from COVID-19. There is so much we don't know about COVID-19.

Of course, and that is why caution needs to be advised ... but my girlfriend is a literal COVID nurse in Chicago, and even she thinks this is getting out of hand the way people talk about it (not necessarily about what they do). Should we wear masks in enclosed spaces and exercise social distancing? Of course ... but we are treating every COVID death like an apartment building fell due to bad engineering and people died from it ... the sad reality is that this is not a good analogy, and NOT all COVID deaths are preventable. Viruses are the top of the food chain and our predator, and a brand new one came along; this was always going to happen. That does NOT mean that the deaths aren't sad or that we should not do everything within reason to minimize them or that this administration has botched the response, but we can't shut down society until there is a vaccine, either, and the mere discussion about how to move forward is usually met with a slammed door in your face. I mean, we might NOT get a vaccine, frankly. Ever.

Cases continue to climb at Clemson:

Clemson has already had 37 of its 120 players test positivethis month, according to the Greenville News.

There is some good news: None of Clemson’s players have required hospitalization. Healthy young people often have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Although responsible people do what they can to prevent getting themselves infected and therefore prevent infecting anyone else, some players may actually want to get the virus before the season in the hopes that the antibodies will protect them from getting sick during the season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/26/37-clemson-football-players-have-tested-positive/

Of course, and that is why caution needs to be advised ... but my girlfriend is a literal COVID nurse in Chicago, and even she thinks this is getting out of hand the way people talk about it (not necessarily about what they do). Should we wear masks in enclosed spaces and exercise social distancing? Of course ... but we are treating every COVID death like an apartment building fell due to bad engineering and people died from it ... the sad reality is that this is not a good analogy, and NOT all COVID deaths are preventable. Viruses are the top of the food chain and our predator, and a brand new one came along; this was always going to happen. That does NOT mean that the deaths aren't sad or that we should not do everything within reason to minimize them or that this administration has botched the response, but we can't shut down society until there is a vaccine, either, and the mere discussion about how to move forward is usually met with a slammed door in your face. I mean, we might NOT get a vaccine, frankly. Ever.
I hate to say it, but COVID seems like Darwin’s Hammer. I am not sure Stephen King could have conjured a more chilling scenario: a highly contagious disease that often does not present, is apparently harmless to strong immune systems, but lethal to compromised ones. Throw in our libertarian instincts and our political situation and you have a horror story.

Perhaps the only way it could get worse would be COVID patients turning into flesh-eating zombies who gain more energy every time Trump tweets.

Cases continue to climb at Clemson:

Clemson has already had 37 of its 120 players test positivethis month, according to the Greenville News.

There is some good news: None of Clemson’s players have required hospitalization. Healthy young people often have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Although responsible people do what they can to prevent getting themselves infected and therefore prevent infecting anyone else, some players may actually want to get the virus before the season in the hopes that the antibodies will protect them from getting sick during the season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/26/37-clemson-football-players-have-tested-positive/
They’ve got nothing on the UW frat system. 105 cases and counting:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-university-of-washington-frat-houses-outbreak/

...there are team sports right now on ESPN.

Basketball, one where it is difficult to socially distance.

Game on. I can’t wait to see Paddy wreak havoc in East Lansing.

From a Pro or College league? In the US?

...there are team sports right now on ESPN.

Basketball, one where it is difficult to socially distance.

Game on. I can’t wait to see Paddy wreak havoc in East Lansing.
That basketball gimmick event is not actually a team sport.. Just a few guys making a little money, while ESPN puts this phony non-game out there.

Last edited:
In a few short weeks we’ll have the NBA playing in Orlando.
All I will say is, don't hold your breath. If those players are smart and care for their families and friends, it won't get off the ground. Have you noticed the number of new cases in Florida, this past week?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT